• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Non-ANC closed back headphones for travel?

FattyGabbiee

Hi all,

Now that my home office is all setup, I am looking for a good pair of closed back for traveling. I ordered the Sony MX5 to replace my 7 year old Bose QCs but can return the MX5 if there are better recommendations. When I travel, I do prefer to use my headphones when possible vs. the airlines if using their entertainment setup but do have my laptop to watch TV/movies and/or listen to music. I snagged a Qudelix 5K for dac/amp to help drive for my devices but if using the airlines, I may need a set of high sensitivity/low ohm headphones to drive.

Besides airline usage, they will be used for conference calls with a separate USB mic and watching movies/TV on my laptop in hotel rooms.

Budget is under 1k with a focus on durability, passive noise reduction, minimal leaking, and more fun vs. accurate. I can EQ with the Qudelix 5k for my devices too. Of note, I can get a discount for Denon and B&W headphones.

I have been great things about the DCA headphones but not sure if an airline headphone output will work with them effectively. I was looking at the Denon 5200, AKG 371, various Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Aeon 2 Noire is like the perfect travel headphone. It's extremely portable:
aeon2noir.jpg16034438_800.jpg

You're right, it probably won't work well plugged directly into the headphone out port of your airplane seat's Infotainment system.
There are workarounds though:

• Airplane headphone out -> Twelve South AirFly (or similar) -> Bluetooth -> Qudelix -> Noire
Or if you need more power:
•Airplane headphone out -> Twelve South AirFly (or similar) -> Bluetooth -> Topping G5 -> Noire
Or if you don't like Bluetooth:
• Airplane headphone out -> Topping NX7 -> Noire

Though you should know that no passive headphone will isolate you from noise below 200Hz, so the airplane's engines' rumble will pass through to your ears 1:1, see here.

To isolate you from low frequency noise, you need either deep insertion IEMs or active noise cancellation.

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
• Airplane headphone out -> Twelve South AirFly (or similar) -> Bluetooth -> Qudelix -> Noire
Or if you need more power:
•Airplane headphone out -> Twelve South AirFly (or similar) -> Bluetooth -> Topping G5 -> Noire
Or if you don't like Bluetooth:
• Airplane headphone out -> Topping NX7 -> Noire

Though you should know that no passive headphone will isolate you from noise below 200Hz, so the airplane's engines' rumble will pass through to your ears 1:1, see here.

To isolate you from low frequency noise, you need either deep insertion IEMs or active noise cancellation.
Topping G5 has a line-in, so OP could just go •Airplane headphone out -> Topping G5 -> Noire

OP
F

FattyGabbiee

Thanks, Static and Elitzur! This is all great info and never heard of the Airfly, what an awesome solution. Static, after this post, I went to DCA's website and instantly wanted to know more about the Noires. I live in the PNW and need to find a store that has them to listen to.

As for the G5 vs the NX7, love both options and if I choose the G5, I could use EQ APO on my laptop for EQ vs. the Qudelix 5K. I wouldn't get EQ from the airplane's entertainment system but that's okay since the majority of the listening/watching will be from my hotel room and laptop.

I am also considering the E1DA 9038D6K instead of the Qudelix 5K for dongle use for the times I don't want to carry the G5.

All of these options are new to me and I truly appreciate the help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am also considering the E1DA 9038D6K instead of the Qudelix 5K for dongle use for the times I don't want to carry the G5.
The D6K is really not a good choice for low impedance, low sensitivity headphones like the Noire. The 9038SG3 is much, much better for that.

Also, if you do order a Noire, make sure you choose the XLR cable:
Screenshot 2022-12-14 191017.png
With it, you can use all headphone Amps.
With the 3.5mm cable, you can only use single-ended Amps.

OP
F

FattyGabbiee

Thanks, Static. That is great to know. Another lesson learned and much appreciated!

staticV3

Master Contributor
@FattyGabbiee one caveat to this:
Also, if you do order a Noire, make sure you choose the XLR cable:
With it, you can use all headphone Amps.
With the 3.5mm cable, you can only use single-ended Amps.
Yes you can use all headphone Amps with the XLR cable, but you'd have to buy adapters from 4pin XLR to 3.5mm/2.5mm/etc and use them all the time unless you're on a desktop Amp with native 4pin XLR out.
If you know that you'll only ever use 3.5mm or 1/4" Amps, then better to get the right cable for that and and spare you the hassle of all those adapters.

Top Bottom