• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nominating 8' DIY Voight Tube for test

folzag

For those that haven't heard of him, Tech Ingredients might be the interwebz' East Coast to @amirm West Coast. ;)

He's a 21st century Mr. Wizard. You couldn't do it today on broadcast TV, but there's still an audience for hard science content paced to teach and inform rather than dazzle and show-off, and of course YouTube fills the need.

On the audio topic, he's done a couple of videos on DIY panel speakers, built his own anechoic chamber to measure them, and then built his own pair of Voight tubes.

Anyone planning a road-trip from Vermont to Washington?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

CrowDaddy

This guy is great! Thanks so much for introducing him to those of us who hadn't known.
As speaker nerds may know, Cain & Cain in Walla Walla made highly-regarded Voigt tube speakers, called Abbys, with single Fostex drivers.
Carl Blumenstein apprenticed with Cain ( who passed away a few years ago ) and runs Blumenstein Audio.
A good documentary was made about his speaker manufacturing operation:
Blumenstein recently moved from Seattle to Tennessee, taking a couple pair of B-stock Abbys with him which are for sale.
He plans eventually to manufacture his own version.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bumping this thread because I just discovered this guy and because I've been looking for an affordable ~95dB speaker to go with a Coincident SET amp (so ~8 W/channel). I could buy the Coincident speakers, or any of a variety of 10k+ speakers by Devore, Zu, Klipsch, Audio Note, and others (I have original Snell E/III's so I'm familiar with their strengths and weaknesses), but at <1k in materials and some interesting performance claims, I am truly fascinated enough by these speakers that I might bother to build a pair. The question is, who has actually heard the design??

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This guy is great! Thanks so much for introducing him to those of us who hadn't known.
As speaker nerds may know, Cain & Cain in Walla Walla made highly-regarded Voigt tube speakers, called Abbys, with single Fostex drivers.
Carl Blumenstein apprenticed with Cain ( who passed away a few years ago ) and runs Blumenstein Audio.
A good documentary was made about his speaker manufacturing operation:
Blumenstein recently moved from Seattle to Tennessee, taking a couple pair of B-stock Abbys with him which are for sale.
He plans eventually to manufacture his own version.

Whoa why are they asking $2000-$4000 for some GRS woofers?

Top Bottom