• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noise while Moving Mouse USB Ground Loop

Tim22

Hey Guy,

my setup

SMSL SU8 DAC: USB to PC
RCA To SMSL SP200 Amp
Single ended to HD6XX

XLR cable are still shipping for HD6XX and for the Connection between DAC and Amp.

I get Noises when I move the mouse, move windows and scroll on my screen.

I changed USB Ports and tried a passive hub.
I changed the Power Brick to an independent outlet with surge protection.

My guess is the graphic card is giving noises to the USB and I need some kind of USB-noise-filter.

I thought this shouldn’t happen since my Motherboard is not even 3 years old.

Do you have an Idea?

EDIT
Ground Loop caused by USB.
Optical fixed it or XLR Amp to DAC fixed it.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the same issue. The solution was in replacing the motherboard. My present Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING with the SupremeFX S1220A CODEC makes no noise when scrolling, moving the mouse etc. It's dead silent.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
T

Tim22

I am using an Asus ROG STRIX Z270-F GAMING Motherboard. Connecting my MS Surface to the DAC completly removes every noise.
I did a bio update and most importantly ordered an optical cable.

Plugging the DAC to my USB-out of my Keyboard steps the volume of the noise up 10 times.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using an Asus ROG STRIX Z270-F GAMING Motherboard. Connecting my MS Surface to the DAC completly removes every noise.
I did a bio update and most importantly ordered an optical cable

It sounds very much like you have an grounding issue. Did you build the PC yourself? Have checked that the board is secured correctly and that none of grounding tabs on the IO shield are bent and touching something they shouldn't be?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Had the same problem. Amp was grounded to power but the dac was grounded through usb (so through the PC).

I used a mobile phone wall charger to dac and used optical for audio = problem solved

Blur

Forum Donor
It’s not a hum or buzz so typically this is not a ground loop issue. I had a USB DAC have this issue and the only fix was swapping out the DAC. My guess is there is an issue with the USB cable or noise rejection on the DAC.

That said Ninetylol’s advice is easy to try if you can match the plug to your DAC.

Do you have any other DAC around to try?

OP
T

Tim22

So i did some troubleshooting. Rebuild my PC:
-checkt PSU and Cables
-checked Standoff screws
-checkt IOShield.
Poped the Wall Socket out checked Ground.

Then started PC with only DAC connected and this Sound is still there. Sounds like this
I also can hear the PC start up, so it gets more. If the PC is off, no Noise. If the USB is unplugged no Noise.
I get frustrated slowly.
Maybe i try to switch the DAC and wait for the M200 in January.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
So i did some troubleshooting. Rebuild my PC:
-checkt PSU and Cables
-checked Standoff screws
-checkt IOShield.
Poped the Wall Socket out checked Ground.

Then started PC with only DAC connected and this Sound is still there. Sounds like this
I also can hear the PC start up, so it gets more. If the PC is off, no Noise. If the USB is unplugged no Noise.
I get frustrated slowly.
Maybe i try to switch the DAC and wait for the M200 in January.
-optical should fix it
-balanced cable for DAC might fix it
-balanced cable for HD650 will do nothing since the SP200 XLR output is same as its single ended output!

OP
T

Tim22

Now I ripped my 5.1 System apart and stole the optical cable. Every Noise is gone. But if I use optical and leave the usb plugged in the noise is still there. So optical fixes my issue.
But I want to find out what causes the USB grounding issue.
My PC ? My DAC? USB Cable? BIOS Settings?

Since my Surface Tablet-PC works perfect with USB its not the cable or the DAC.

My PC Setup if relevant:
Asus STRIX Z270-F GAMING Motherboard
Intel i7-7700k not overclocked
Samsung 960 evo 500gb
Samsung 860 evo 500gb
BeQuit straight power 10 700w
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix OC 8GB Gaming

Last edited:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now I ripped my 5.1 System apart and stole the optical cable. Every Noise is gone. But if I use optical and leave the usb plugged in the noise is still there. So optical fixes my issue.
But I want to find out what causes the USB grounding issue.
My PC ? My DAC? USB Cable? BIOS Settings?

Since my Surface Tablet-PC works perfect with USB its not the cable or the DAC.

My PC Setup if relevant:
Asus STRIX Z270-F GAMING Motherboard
Intel i7-7700k not overclocked
Samsung 960 evo 500gb
Samsung 860 evo 500gb
BeQuit straight power 10 700w
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix OC 8GB Gaming
Amp and dac are connected to each other.
Amp is grounded to power Socket.
DAC is grounded through PC usb.
=ground loop.

If you use xlr from dac to amp you can fix this.
Elsewise use optical and a separate wall charger for dac Power :)

OP
T

Tim22

Amp and dac are connected to each other.
Amp is grounded to power Socket.
DAC is grounded through PC usb.
=ground loop.

If you use xlr from dac to amp you can fix this.
Elsewise use optical and a separate wall charger for dac Power :)
But why is the DAC not using the IEC connector for ground. USB is only for signal not Power? And then everybody that uses the DAC with USB should have this problem ?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But why is the DAC not using the IEC connector for ground. USB is only for signal not Power? And then everybody that uses the DAC with USB should have this problem ?

Most DACs use the USB power for their USB input interface. You mentioned that plugging in a MS Surface eliminates this issue. The problem is your USB ports in motherboard being poorly isolated the DAC. I use a MS Surface myself with USB input and have ZERO noise problems whatsoever like you experience. To fix the issue, connect amp and DAC to common ground and use optical from your PC.

kenshao

Hey guys, I just got this same issue, but I have no DAC, just a newly purchased sp200.
Let me paste this that I wrote in another topic to make it easier.

My mobo is a rog strix z370-f. Are there any tricks to look for the grounding issue in the PC? I'm asking because I'm waiting for a DAC to come from drop, but it'll be another month until they ship it. I already know the solution will to use them to the same ground (likely in a different wall socket, the same for both, and a toslink cable from my onboard sound card). But in the meantime, I'd like to be able to use the sp200 connected directly to my onboard sound card without all this static.

This was my reply in the sp200 topic looking for advice when I thought my unit was defective.

Hey Guys,

I'm new in the forum and this is my first post. I've had sennheiser hd650 and fiio e9 headphone amp for 8 years, and after reading a lot and checking the new tech from 2019, I decided to pull the trigger to hopefully have a new AMP (and a topping d50s that should arrive next month from drop), for another 10 years.

My setup is pretty simple, I never had a DAC before, so the sound comes directly from my monitor, or my sound card P2 output.
Usually goes from monitor P2 headphone output to FIIO RCA in. (I use a p2 to RCA stereo standard cable). And the HD650 connected to the FIIO. My monitor gets the sound from PC via the displayport cable.
It always worked like that, and I never had any issues before.

So, my boss came back from the US today and brought the SP200 I bought from amazon. And this is where the nightmare story begins:

I never expected to have any issues, so what I did as soon as I got home, was simply plug in the sp200, and move the RCA cables from the Fiio to the sp200. As soon as I turned it on, I could hear a lot of noises/static.
That bothered me a lot, and the first thing I thought, is that it could be the HD650 cable. I had a spare one, replaced it, and the noise/static was the same. Just to make sure, I got the RCA cables back to the Fiio, and it was clear of static.
The next thing I thought, was the P2 > RCA cable, so I ran to the closest store, got a new cable, plugged it in, same thing, static/noise.
I was getting really frustrated with that.
So, next step, would be to try to eliminate the noise from the monitor, so I plugged the P2 directly in my sound card output > sp200. Still a lot of noise/static. Tried the new cable, still static.
Now, It was time to try something different. I brought the SP200, and instead, connected it to the p2 of my wife's iMac and hd650 still connected to the sp200. Now, surprisingly, the noise was pretty much gone. When I had high gain setting, I could hear some kind of low tone, so I started thinking my unit was defective or there was some noise coming from the AC/PSU/Power outlet it was connected to?
Then, I wsa pretty much hopeless, and connected it to my macbook pro. WOW, no noise, perfect sound, as clean as the angels singing.
This made me really puzzled, 3 different inputs, one perfect, one with horrible noise, the other one with a low tone, WTH?

After seeing that apparently the unit was good, I decided to try it again in my PC, still connected to both monitor and directly sound card, both with a different power cable (the one who came with the unit, just in case), the noise was still there.
So, my monitor has multiple inputs and is also connnected to a nintendo switch, so I tried it. Still noise. I decided to try one last thing. I shutdown my pc, with the sp200 connected to the monitor to output the sound of the nintendo switch.
The static is GONE.
Now, I'm really thinking either my PC is the issue generating noise out of nowhere, or my unit could be somewhat defective, not sure yet.
Last thing I have to try, is to connect it directly to my pc, and unplug everything from my PC, so maybe something connected to it could be could be generating the noise.

Until my d50s arrives (at least another month), I'm stuck with this setup. I'm hoping that with the d50s connected to the PC through USB, and with the premium RCA to RCA cable to connect the d50s to the sp200 the noise will be gone.
So, my question, is: does anybody have any idea what could be causing this noise/static in my PC so I can try to fix it before the d50s arrive?
Second question: could my sp200 be defective? It's really odd it's outputtinng so much noise while my FiiO e9 has no noise at all. Could it be that more sensitive to noise?
I really thought that my unit was defective, but after hearing it clean and flawless from my macbook pro I don't think my sp200 is defective anymore.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, my question, is: does anybody have any idea what could be causing this noise/static in my PC so I can try to fix it before the d50s arrive?

Remove the ground plug from both your PC and the SP200 that should fix the issue

Top Bottom