• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noise issue when computer is connected to my system

sresener

Hey everyone, here is a issue that has stumped me.
I have a onkyo txrz1100 with its main pre-outs connected to my Mytek Manhatan II ht-bypass.
I have a passively cooled, with ssd drive computer. (for the moment I am using its cheap power brick) If I was happy with the computer I was going to source out a quality power supply.

I had the pc connected to the mytek via usb and everything was fine, sound quality actually rivaled the mytek built in streamer.

So I decided to connect the computer to my reciever via hdmi, I thought this way I could get good sound quality with audio over usb with video. This worked fine and everything was in sync. (which I was worried about)

What happened is a static and popping showed up in the audio, literally moving the mouse would introduce some noise in the whole system. I switched my avr inputs to watch a movie and this sound transferred to all inputs on the avr. This sound was also in all speakers.

The second I shut the pc off (power brick still plugged into the wall and pc) this static and popping disappeared. I have tried a few quality hdmi cables with no fix. And I made sure the cables did not run close to any power sources or cables.

Another thing to add, this computer does have some coil whine, where simply moving the mouse makes it happen. A lot of computers I build have this it just sticks out when a computer is passive and dead silent.

Would trying a fiber hdmi cable possibly fix this?

I am assuming this is a issue that can not be fixed and is a issue from the computer.

If Im wrong Any ideas on how to fix this.

Blur

Forum Donor
1st thing to try is unplugging peripherals one at a time and seeing if one of them stops the noise. I’ve seen bad nice cause this issue as well as bad USB ports. One fix for me was to use a different DAC with better noise rejection or swap to optical.

Top Bottom