• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noise Cancelling Headphones ←→ tinnitus?

eriksson

Forum Donor
I sometimes work around 'loud' machinery. I am careful protecting my hearing so I use earmuffs with radio. Living in condos in past years I also use headphones quite a bit. Like my Sennheiser 380 pro that's quite worn out now. My listening habits do not include playing loud using headphones. I just don't like it.

For my age of just over half a century, I think my hearing is still fine albeit limited now to <14Khz.

Last June I got my first noise cancelling headphone Bose QC35 and I like it a lot. Wireless, the NC works amazingly well - even at work around loud machinery. It does even better job at cancelling out low freq sounds than my earmuffs of decent quality.

But here is the rub: Soon after I got the Bose I started to notice low amplitude high pitched noise in my ears after using them for few hours. Meaning, after I take them off, my ears are 'ringing' It sounds like I am listening to ~2khz noise at low volume. This isn't a serious problem and fades away rather quick and doesn't bother me really. But it's there! And I am limiting my use of them.

I was contemplating writing this post many weeks ago, but decided to wait and make sure there was a clear connection between this ear ringing and the Bose NC headphone. Since I am writing this I am fairly sure there is a connection.

My theory is this has something to do with the N.C. system.

Thoughts ?

OP
E

eriksson

Forum Donor
Come to think of it - I could do a test by turning the N.C. OFF and continue using them and pay attention if this makes difference.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if it's directly related but I do know that some people can have unusual "reactions" to ANC headphones.

Personally if I am already nauseated, dizzy, or light headed ANC headphones amplify the effect a great deal but cause me no problem if I'm already feeling fine to begin with.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Come to think of it - I could do a test by turning the N.C. OFF and continue using them and pay attention if this makes difference.
It may be that the noise cancellation is reducing the background noise that usually masks the tinnitus, at which point you become aware of it and remain aware of it until some time after removal. That’s what I experience with closed back headphone use.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
With NC on... is the machinery still quite audible but not deafening or is it nice and quiet ?
NC works up to 1kHz or so. Above that NC headphones depend on passive attenuation (like earmuffs but usually less effective).

Another option for great attenuation. Put plugs in your ear and wear the NC headphone.
How quiet would you rate that ?

OP
E

eriksson

Forum Donor
With NC on... is the machinery still quite audible but not deafening or is it nice and quiet ?
NC works up to 1kHz or so. Above that NC headphones depend on passive attenuation (like earmuffs but usually less effective).
It's audible but not much more than that.

However - this tinnitus problem shows up even more when I use them at home, so this isn't related to loud environment per se.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The issue with tinnitus is that it can be caused by many things.
It's the brain 'inventing' things based on input it gets.
It may even be infrasonics moving your eardrum by the NC trying to correct for seal issues or movement of the headphone.
Your brain might react to that input.
Maybe try another NC headphone. That one may react differently.
Suggestions are WH1000MX and the Apple thingy or use IEM's (if that's an option, I hate shoving those things in my ear canal) with high attenuation and see how your brain reacts to that ?

phrwn

I've been wondering about a similar experience I've had since using Airpod Pros. I've never noticed tinnitus before, but after using the Airpods at home for a few days I noticed my left ear ringing away at night before I went to sleep, so at the quietest point of the day. It was pretty obnoxious but has lessened, over days mind, since I stopped using the Airpods.

I tried them again last week and, sure enough, loud ringing in the left ear in the evening. Looking this up online there seems to be an equal number of reports of NC headphones/earphones causing tinnitus as there are about them helping with it, so I don't know. It's going to vary from person to person.

I have previously used Jabra headphones with ANC as well as Bose QC35's (not for more than a few hours in the latter case) and didn't notice this with either of them. Given how much is going on with Airpods in particular, dynamic EQ, ANC, Apple witchcraft, I do wonder if they might be a unique issue for me.

It's quite annoying because I had finally succumbed to the convenience of wireless and was enjoying it, and now I'm worried about it, particularly if it comes with ANC.

OP
E

eriksson

Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing @phrwn
Through the years I remember hearing this 'ringing' in my ears, but it's been limited to few occasions per year I guess and only last for 15 min or so, or until my attention shifts to something else. None issue really. And I have used headphones quite a bit. Since this suddenly became a real issue after using my beloved Bose35 for few weeks, well it's hard to ignore a connection.

And BTW, I started this thread with both ears ringing after 3 hour session with my Bose in my quiet living room. One movie and one music album. As I write this my ears are almost back to normal, after few days of not using them.

I

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can switch off the ANC.
What happens when you do ?

OP
E

eriksson

Forum Donor
Ok - since this thread is about rather serious issue - connection between Tinnitus and Noise cancelling headphones.

I want to report I have ZERO scientific evidence there is a connection in my case. It seems I am suffering the onset of Tinnitus -on and off, randomly it seems. And it's likely just coincidence this started around the same time I started using my Bose NC headphones.

That's about it.

Top Bottom