• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioJEJ

I am looking into DAC’s to upgrade my Node 2i. I like a smooth top end and punchy bass. Options that I have considered are Schiit Bifrost 2, SMSL, Aries 2, to name a few. Capability to decode MQA would be great, but not necessary. My hearing is extremely sensitive to harsh or forward treble. I do like the sound color option on the SMSL DAC’s, but I admit that I have not heard them in person. I would buy and try first, but 20% restocking seems a bit much on several of the websites. I do not have any audiophile friends, but I do have a couple of local dealers. I could probably try out some higher end DAC’s, but the dealers can be difficult to deal with. My main issue with going that direction is it costs much more. The other drawback is that they do not seem to listen to what I want, rather they tell me what I should want. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Jbrunwa

Here is my two cents, which is probably worth less than that. Being an audiophile, I will admit that audiophile sound quality means sound quality that is beyond the capability of a persons ability to hear a difference. I have a Node and a Node 2i and I can’t hear any differences between them and the DAC say in my Emotiva XMC-2 (which BTW measured not great on ASR) or my Denon AVR-X3700H (which did measure well) when all the rest of the system is the same. But changing my speakers, headphones and EQ made a huge difference. I would think that the headphones, speakers or especially EQ would make a much bigger difference for any person, especially with sensitive treble hearing.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, from a sonic standpoint you're not going to do better than the Schiit Modius. Balanced output, impeccable clean output. And Schiit has a great return policy.

OP
A

AudioJEJ

I appreciate the feedback. Currently, I have GoldenEar Triton Seven speakers. This is in a bedroom setup. They were one of the few towers that can be near enough to the wall to be unobtrusive. I would like to upgrade these, but cannot find a stand mount speaker that can be placed close enough to the wall to give them the room that they need. New towers make that even more complicated. That is why I am considering the DAC upgrade. I just want to get the most out of what I have regarding the source as currently my only source is the Node 2i. My other dilemma is if I purchased new speakers, I would have a complete second system In another room. If I purchase a DAC that makes a noticeable improvement, I would upgrade the system that I listen to most often. What DAC‘s have DSP?

OP
A

AudioJEJ

Here is my two cents, which is probably worth less than that. Being an audiophile, I will admit that audiophile sound quality means sound quality that is beyond the capability of a persons ability to hear a difference. I have a Node and a Node 2i and I can’t hear any differences between them and the DAC say in my Emotiva XMC-2 (which BTW measured not great on ASR) or my Denon AVR-X3700H (which did measure well) when all the rest of the system is the same. But changing my speakers, headphones and EQ made a huge difference. I would think that the headphones, speakers or especially EQ would make a much bigger difference for any person, especially with sensitive treble hearing.
Would there be a good equalizer to use with an integrated amplifier? I have never used one in any of the stereos that I have owned.

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm not using an EQ but always wanted to try. Since I'm not using any PC/laptop in my chain... not much I can do unless I get a dedicated hardware EQ. Something like this...
1632526860524.png

I don't really fancy the form factor as it's too big for desktop use. I haven't seen any EQ with XLR that has the form factor say like a Topping A90... that would be fine as I don't think I really need all the dials as shown above.

Jbrunwa

Would there be a good equalizer to use with an integrated amplifier? I have never used one in any of the stereos that I have owned.
miniDSP makes high quality devices. For example their 2x4HD. They also have a streamer with EQ. But if I might suggest a microphone like umik and PC/Mac and RoomEQ Wizard you can measure your system before making other decisions. The same setup can be used to generate PEQ to adjust the frequency response to achieve a target response curve tailored to your liking. They have a number of tutorials and there is a lot of expertise on ASR on using the umik microphone with REW to tailor the sound.

Jbrunwa

I'm not using an EQ but always wanted to try. Since I'm not using any PC/laptop in my chain... not much I can do unless I get a dedicated hardware EQ. Something like this...
View attachment 155437

I don't really fancy the form factor as it's too big for desktop use. I haven't seen any EQ with XLR that has the form factor say like a Topping A90... that would be fine as I don't think I really need all the dials as shown above.
I recommend a miniDSP 2x4 or 2x4HD. Although not XLR, the improvement you can get with a good EQ curve will dwarf any difference between XLR and RCA.( which has been proven again and again to be not audible unless running long distance). I use the Emotiva adapter cables to go from RCA out to XLR. DSP PEQ is far superior to the classic graphic equalizer that you may be familiar with. The 2x4HD is also available in a Dirac Live version for more money.

raif71

Major Contributor
I recommend a miniDSP 2x4 or 2x4HD. Although not XLR, the improvement you can get with a good EQ curve will dwarf any difference between XLR and RCA.( which has been proven again and again to be not audible unless running long distance). I use the Emotiva adapter cables to go from RCA out to XLR. DSP PEQ is far superior to the classic graphic equalizer that you may be familiar with. The 2x4HD is also available in a Dirac Live version for more money.
Thanks for the suggestion as I was sure somebody was going to suggest the minidsp. Don't get me wrong, the minidsp is a good product but to configure it, one must need a laptop/computer to program the EQ settings, right? Some people may find this easy but for me if I feel there's some sound need to be tweaked, I'd rather do it on the fly with the hardware EQ rather than program minidsp and then put it back in the chain, pull it back if still something's not right, put it back again so on and so forth.

Jbrunwa

Thanks for the suggestion as I was sure somebody was going to suggest the minidsp. Don't get me wrong, the minidsp is a good product but to configure it, one must need a laptop/computer to program the EQ settings, right? Some people may find this easy but for me if I feel there's some sound need to be tweaked, I'd rather do it on the fly with the hardware EQ rather than program minidsp and then put it back in the chain, pull it back if still something's not right, put it back again so on and so forth.
Well it’s true you need a computer the minDSP does not need to be pulled out of the chain to make changes, it can basically be adjusted online in real time while it is passing audio. Configurations can also be loaded from or saved to the computer. The computer is only required when making adjustments and can be unplugged from the miniDSP USB port when done. The user manual describes what you can do. However if you don’t measure response with a mike you are flying as blind as with an old style EQ.

OP
A

AudioJEJ

I have heard that the miniDSP works well, I just did not want the complications associated with it and the computer, as mentioned. I could replace the Node 2i with the MiniDSP streamer, but I have not had any experience with the software. I will admit most of my desire to upgrade is to try something new. The sound that I get from my current setup is very good. I am looking into upgrading the speakers as well, but posted that elsewhere.

OP
A

AudioJEJ

A great deal of these frustrations things go back to lack of dealers that are willing to let you try products, or want to tell you what you should like. I am posting here because both local dealers are difficult to deal with or want to sell you what they carry. It is understandable to an extent, but frustrating. Honestly, to the point where I may look at other hobbies despite my lifelong interest. I do appreciate everyone’s advice.

raif71

Major Contributor
Well it’s true you need a computer the minDSP does not need to be pulled out of the chain to make changes, it can basically be adjusted online in real time while it is passing audio. Configurations can also be loaded from or saved to the computer. The computer is only required when making adjustments and can be unplugged from the miniDSP USB port when done. The user manual describes what you can do. However if you don’t measure response with a mike you are flying as blind as with an old style EQ.
Forgive my ignorance on the pulling out and putting back in the minidsp into the chain as I could have sworn how this was done watching a youtuber . Maybe it's not as bad as I think to configure the minidsp but I'm old school yadda yadda yadda :)

Jbrunwa

Forgive my ignorance on the pulling out and putting back in the minidsp into the chain as I could have sworn how this was done watching a youtuber :)
No problem. I admit it’s more complicated than a group of hardware sliders.

Top Bottom