• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The weight (or rather lack thereof) really is the only problem with these devices. I'm really tempted to open up mine (3-to-1, which is exactly the same thing with just different connectors) to put some additional weights in there myself just so it doesn't want to lift off the table from the weight of XLR cables.
This is certainly possible. I'm sure both versions (3-1 and 1-3) look the same inside (3-1 teardown here) and there is enough space to add some weight left and right of the switch.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 47146
What you are seeing is the performance of my Audio Precision APx555. Indeed, I selected internal loopback in the analyzer and got the same results. This is how it should be but it is a relief seeing it in numbers.
Good to see this. In my review I saw the limits of the RME ADI-2 PRO fs and concluded that an AP is required to dig deeper. Well, even the newest AP did not find anything above its own noise floor. Impressive - but then we know it's just wires, connectors and switches.:)

Next I checked crosstalk, again with the MC103 Pro and with internal loopback on the analyzer:

View attachment 47147

Marvelous! :) Note that which input you use doesn't matter either.
This is much better (~ -15 dB @ 20 kHz) then my measurements:
index.php

Hmm - I'm wondering whether my cables are sufficient for such tasks. May have to remeasure with two cables connected (so to say like measuring the switch without the switch).:cool:

@amirm: what kind of cables (brand, length) did you use for measuring switch and loopback?

Labjr

Major Contributor
At least the connectors show a Neutrik name.

Here you can look inside and see a part of the switch.

Well you can't expect too much for the money? If I needed a switcher for my system I'd be tempted to build something a bit nicer. I love the feel of Shallco and Elma rotary switches but they cost $$.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Good to see this. In my review I saw the limits of the RME ADI-2 PRO fs and concluded that an AP is required to dig deeper. Well, even the newest AP did not find anything above its own noise floor. Impressive - but then we know it's just wires, connectors and switches.:)
So now that two of you have used this switch, I ask again: What about the switching itself? Are there noises/clicks on connect and disconnect?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm: what kind of cables (brand, length) did you use for measuring switch and loopback?
I use Mogami gold on the input side to the analyzer for all my tests. It is a short, 3 to 4 foot cable.

For input into the switch, I just hooked up some "audiophile XLR" cables I had from a while back. The name escapes me now.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So now that two of you have used this switch, I ask again: What about the switching itself? Are there noises/clicks on connect and disconnect?
I haven't used it for anything yet. Just got it and tested it with measurements. Not in actual use.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's the output impedance?

the same as the output impedance of the selected source + a few mOhm.
When the output resistance was 0 Ohm there would be no sound coming out of it and the source would be shorted or the source impedance is 0 Ohm;)

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is much better (~ -15 dB @ 20 kHz) then my measurements:

Answered in your thread. I expect this to be capacitive coupling which is influenced by the generator's output impedance.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Doesn't seem like a whole lot could go wrong with this. It's pretty basic. The signal goes through a set of switch contacts.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Doesn't seem like a whole lot could go wrong with this. It's pretty basic. The signal goes through a set of switch contacts.
Agreed but there are many such basic switches which are otherwise fine and still make noise on switchover.

Top Bottom