• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have no use for it as a 3in-1out - but 1in-3out is just perfect... except for now I have to get M-M and F-F XLR cables or a bunch of gender changers. :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind... thankfully they have an identical model with reversed connectors... my wallet and cable-closet will be appreciative.

digicidal

Major Contributor
What use will you make of it?
DAC to multiple monitors. Since they're powered and have individual gains, I can easily have a relatively inexpensive switcher without going full studio gear for a non-paying hobby. Easy to deal with passives the same way provided identical amps are used and attenuation is handled on the input side prior to the switch (or if I use a preamp ahead of each pair).

Though I guess the TL;DR would be "to play around" with my collection of far too many speakers. :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Or did I get the setup wrong?

I don't think you did. Crosstalk on an unterminated input is meaningless. Shorted input is standard. After all, if a source is active, its output impedance is essentially very low.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... From the same brand, I have two Little Bear MC2 volume control & source selector and would be interested in a review also.
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Fully-balanced-Single-ended-Pre-amplifier-Controller/dp/B07255VHZS
especially to know if there is channel imbalance and to brag if it is cleaner than audiphile 1000$ preamps!

Me too, happy user of it!
Hoping this Douk Audio Studio / Nobsound (Shenzhen Cavins Technology Co.,Ltd.) remains focused on passive devices and away from the active ones ...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nobsound-ns-dac3-pro-dac-amp.5293/post-117105

LostOne___

I dare not classify, but as you see, I started the opposite way of Nobsound positions (XYZ), so there is still at least one category left to be specified.

Maybe D could be for "audiophile aristocrats" defending their ultra high end gear/cables :)

I'd argue a better choice would be "P", as in "Pinkie up audiophiles" :D

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd argue a better choice would be "P", as in "Pinkie up audiophiles" :D
tenor.gif

..nor "measure first" people!
;)

Shadow12347

Forum Donor
Wow, this is so funny. I was just looking at this device! I wanted an input switcher for my M500 so I can just use one XLR out of the DAC to feed both my speakers and headphone amp. I ended up settling on their passive preamp instead, so I only had to buy one additional set of RCAs instead of two sets of XLRs, and I sorely need volume control. Based on this, it seems that they make great passive products, so I'm excited to try it out when it arrives today :p

Labjr

Major Contributor
Not bad! They appear to use quality Neutrik connectors (If they're not fakes) & glass PCBs. Can't see the switch. That would probably cost $300 if it was reviewed in one of the hifi rags!

Mr. Olinad

As I was thinking about buying the 2XLR+1SE in -> 2XLR+1SE out variant, I have a question regardingXLR output -> SE input mode.
If my balanced DAC is set to max power level (4v) when connected to my balanced amp, is it safe to switch to an SE amp at this power level?
Should it cause some sort of "over voltage" on the SE amp as it's usually developed to receive 2v input?

EB1000

Without a remote control operation, this switch is useless for most users...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Without a remote control operation, this switch is useless for most users...
I would imagine the majority of users have enough mobility to get off the couch. Im guessing a remote would mean it wouldn't be truly passive either and probably cost more. Although I'm a lazy sod so admit it would be nice.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Since it's only a switcher, I see it as more of a utility device to use instead of swapping cables around. Not like a preamp.

EB1000

I would imagine the majority of users have enough mobility to get off the couch. Im guessing a remote would mean it wouldn't be truly passive either and probably cost more. Although I'm a lazy sod so admit it would be nice.

It has nothing to do with mobility. Adding an IR remote functionality to such a device will allow full automation by using Harmony remote activities. For me, it will be very useful to switch between home theater and hi-fi set up in the same room. Having a remote functionality does not interfere with its passive property. The IR command can simply activate an electromechanical relay.

Reactions: jjk

Labjr

Major Contributor
It has nothing to do with mobility. Adding an IR remote functionality to such a device will allow full automation by using Harmony remote activities. For me, it will be very useful to switch between home theater and hi-fi set up in the same room. Having a remote functionality does not interfere with its passive property. The IR command can simply activate an electromechanical relay.

I think he meant passive as in not requiring power to operate. The problem I see with relays is there is a default state when not powered where a rotary switch will not move from the position you set it at. Thus no accidental surprises blasting you out of the room.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am a bit confused about this, and have the impression that it is misleading. Testing crosstalk to other inputs would require to short the unused input, because that is what happens when you connect whatever electronics. Testing unused inputs in open state is pointless. With an electronic source connected it would dampen the bleed to (most probably) nothing. Or did I get the setup wrong?
O think you did. :). please ignore channel 2. Channel 1 is being fed by analyzer on selected input. Channel 1 is also driven by dac but from unelected input. This latter either plays noise or silence. It is always connected.

Top Bottom