• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

Hemi

My phono stage is always on (no control over that). The nobsound would probably do the job just fine, but i'd rather avoid risk of issues in future configurations i haven't thought of yet! Plus this mono switch option makes it compelling if it will do what I think it will do. Also happy supporting a more local US business.
Coleman Audio is a US brand.
I haven't tried the LS3, but I own the MS6R. It's built like a tank and has no crosstalk between outputs.

LS3-large.jpg
LS3Bklarge.jpg

Jimrod

Coleman Audio is a US brand.
I haven't tried the LS3, but I own the MS6R. It's built like a tank and has no crosstalk between outputs.

LS3-large.jpg
LS3Bklarge.jpg
I have all XLR connections so the LS3 isn't for me. I saw from your earlier post that you also own the MS6A that has the mono button i'm interested in. Does the MS6A do the same job as the MS6R but with added functionality?

Hemi

I have all XLR connections so the LS3 isn't for me. I saw from your earlier post that you also own the MS6A that has the mono button i'm interested in. Does the MS6A do the same job as the MS6R but with added functionality?
The difference is that the MS6R is a simple passive selector, and MS6A has an active circuitry with a separate headphone output.

Gggggas

I got the 2XLR 1RCA version, 3in3out.
It runs perfect , switching input without any click.
I am very happy with this.
yup...got mine too and works well.
I know that it is a 3y later question lol but I wanted to know how your experience is and if you noticed any sound difference connecting the Dac straight to the Amp vs through the MC3? Thanks

poopy

I know that it is a 3y later question lol but I wanted to know how your experience is and if you noticed any sound difference connecting the Dac straight to the Amp vs through the MC3? Thanks
I used a mix of MC103-3F and MC3 to switch between my AV prepro and multichannel DAC. MC3 is more versatile. I like the feel of the switch on these units, it's firm and not loose. The only drawback is the lack of weight, can tilt easily with the weight of the XLR connectors/cables.

Never noticed any sound differences at least with my multichannel DAC. But never done a serious A/B testing given that all the different measurements you can find on ASR show full transparency.

sarieri

Forum Donor
The weight (or rather lack thereof) really is the only problem with these devices. I'm really tempted to open up mine (3-to-1, which is exactly the same thing with just different connectors) to put some additional weights in there myself just so it doesn't want to lift off the table from the weight of XLR cables.
Same experience here. It lifts up itself regardless of how light your xlr cables are.

Gggggas

I started using the MC3 about a week ago and I am extremely impressed! I have a Topping U90 connected via I2S to the Gustard R26 which is plugged to the MC3 and my amplifiers the SPL Phonitor XE + Topping A90D via some high quality Mogami+Neutrik XLR cables .
I have 0 noise and no bleeding at all even if I keep both Amps on for instant switching without any pops. I was so skeptical about a possible drop in performance but it proved me wrong!
I thankfully have no self lifting the way it is setup even if I try to intentionally.
20230422_190636.jpg

Last edited:

Svperstar

I have no use for it as a 3in-1out - but 1in-3out is just perfect... except for now I have to get M-M and F-F XLR cables or a bunch of gender changers. :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind... thankfully they have an identical model with reversed connectors... my wallet and cable-closet will be appreciative.

I finally decided to enter the world of balanced just for fun, I am aware balanced does NOT magically sound better. Been into this hobby since 2003 and I'm just now trying balanced gear.

Anyway, I got this so I can hook up my SMSL SP200 and my xDuoo 604-MT at the same time. Neat little product.

oobboo

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying this Switch. I have an audio interface and a guitar modeling device, which also serves as an audio interface, as well as a pair of Neumann KH80s. The guitar modeling device is a Fractal FM3 and I don't want to have it running all the time when I'm just listening to music on the computer and working. But it's also annoying to have to reconnect the cables every time.

The most important thing for me is that there is no loss of sound or dynamics. There are also monitor controllers like the M ackie Big Knob Passive, which I didn't buy for precisely this reason. There is talk on the net of a loss of audio quality.

This forum is full of audio nerds, so I would like to hear your opinion. If you say you don't notice anything, then I'll believe it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying this Switch. I have an audio interface and a guitar modeling device, which also serves as an audio interface, as well as a pair of Neumann KH80s. The guitar modeling device is a Fractal FM3 and I don't want to have it running all the time when I'm just listening to music on the computer and working. But it's also annoying to have to reconnect the cables every time.

The most important thing for me is that there is no loss of sound or dynamics. There are also monitor controllers like the M ackie Big Knob Passive, which I didn't buy for precisely this reason. There is talk on the net of a loss of audio quality.

This forum is full of audio nerds, so I would like to hear your opinion. If you say you don't notice anything, then I'll believe it.
I have never noticed anything. Others have posted of audible crosstalk if multiple inputs playing at the same time. Not an issue if only one source live though.

pseydor

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Nobsound MC-103 Pro 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switcher. The unit I have came with the brand Douk on it so that is what I used in my notations below. I suspect multiple companies put their name on it. I purchased it a few days ago from Amazon. The MC-103 Pro costs US $59 from Amazon including Prime shipping.

This is a sturdy but small box with a large input selector on it:

The selector has a scratchy feel to it but does the job. The box is too shallow to be able to control the heavy XLR cables I was using with it so had a tendency to tilt back.

The back has just the connectors you would expect:

This is a passive selector/switch so there is no need for power. As such, it should be bi-directional although I just used it as three inputs and one out.

Selector Audio Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard with 4 volts in, and 4 volts out (for XLR/balanced connections):

View attachment 47146

What you are seeing is the performance of my Audio Precision APx555. Indeed, I selected internal loopback in the analyzer and got the same results. This is how it should be but it is a relief seeing it in numbers.

Next I checked crosstalk, again with the MC103 Pro and with internal loopback on the analyzer:

View attachment 47147

Marvelous! :) Note that which input you use doesn't matter either.

Signal to noise ratio was just a hair worse than internal loopback:
View attachment 47148

For last test, I feed one input (not selected) white noise and tested what happened when I turned that on and off:

View attachment 47149

So there is 10 dB of bleed from one input to another. The still gives us signal to noise ratio of 124 dB which is well beyond any dynamic range we would require. If you don't want to see such a degradation, just don't activate the other inputs at full amplitude.

Conclusions
The Douk/Nobsound MC-103 Pro does what you expect it to do: switch between three balanced inputs with essentially no degradation even when held up to the high standard of my audio analyzer. If you don't need gain/volume control or remote control, it would make a nice "pre-amp" replacement.

Needless to say, I recommend the MC-103 Pro. I plan to use it to select between active speakers for listening tests.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Went to see a movie with my wife (last Star Wars). It must have been one or two years since the last time we went to a theater. Enjoyed it good and lamented that I am too poor to go movies more often . So would you please donate some money so I get more of a break from you all using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Is it of any concern that the inputs lack a clipping arrangement to prevent the cable from coming out, or is the connection strong enough not to worry?

poopy

Is it of any concern that the inputs lack a clipping arrangement to prevent the cable from coming out, or is the connection strong enough not to worry?
It is not that easy to remove the XLR cables, you need to hold the case firmly. Not a concern at all.

Top Bottom