• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No portable Dacs / Headphone Amps for Airplay?

FreakyKiwi

OP wants something for on the go (cycling etc), so I don't think that this would work.
Unless the Zero 2w can simultaneously act as router, access point, and DLNA endpoint?
I'll need to test it but it could certainly be configured as a client to a phone hotspot, which should then be visible as a streaming target.

Rechargeable battery HATS already exist to make it portable, albeit bigger The downside with the Pi Zero is the ancient micro-usb port but an additional USB port is available by connecting to the test pads.

mmi

I find this thread very confusing. Airplay works over ip network protocols, you’d need to run some sort of portable wireless network to achieve OPs request. l don’t see the point, there’s a reason AirPods use Bluetooth.

FreakyKiwi

I find this thread very confusing. Airplay works over ip network protocols, you’d need to run some sort of portable wireless network to achieve OPs request. l don’t see the point, there’s a reason AirPods use Bluetooth.
Apple only support 256kbps AAC bluetooth, OP wants a way to support mobile lossless streaming over wifi.

A mobile phone is a portable wireless network.

mmi

OP wants a way to support mobile lossless streaming over wifi.

A mobile phone is a portable wireless network.
Yes, and Apple supports Airplay over peer-to-peer wifi amongst certain Apple devices. But if they don’t support this using wireless AirPods Max it is almost guaranteed it wont be supported on a random portable wireless wifi dac (if such a thing exists).

Last edited:

Fofocho

I don’t need peer-to-peer connection. 95% of the time I listen to music at home, so over wifi would be ok

FreakyKiwi

Yes, and Apple supports Airplay over peer-to-peer wifi amongst certain Apple devices. But if they don’t support this using wireless AirPods Max it is almost guaranteed you it wont be supported on a random portable wireless wifi dac (if such a thing exists).
AirPods Max supports bluetooth only if I am not mistaken.
Within the Apple ecosystem support for lossless streaming is extremely rare, I think only the HomePod Max supports it.

Such a DAC does exist as per several expensive suggestions above, but they certainly don't have Apple logos on them.

FreakyKiwi

I don’t need peer-to-peer connection. 95% of the time I listen to music at home, so over wifi would be ok
In that case, a pi Zero with a battery running Volumio/Moode/PcP (depending on music source needs) taped to a Qudelix 5K (or other DAC with battery) should do it.

mmi

Such a DAC does exist as per several expensive suggestions above, but they certainly don't have Apple logos on them.
Yeah I just noticed, somehow missed that options had been put forward that work. I’m actually quite surprised. It all seems very extreme to me, is this all to avoid using the Apple lightning DAC with an iPhone and headphones?

FreakyKiwi

Is this all to avoid using the Apple lightning DAC with an iPhone and headphones?
Yes, OP finds the lightning connector unreliable when cycling.

If only Apple made a phone with a headphone jack this would all be simple.

Sorry, I couldn't help taking another stab.

mmi

Yes, OP finds the lightning connector unreliable when cycling.

If only Apple made a phone with a headphone jack this would all be simple.
I dunno. I used to run the lightning connector in my pocket, at the bottom of bags, cycling etc, they are not “unreliable” in that they don’t come loose without a proper pull. The only issue I ever had was due to lint in my phones socket.

Edit: also from damage to the socket or connector from wear and tear, but that’s after years of usage.

FreakyKiwi

they don’t come loose without a proper pull.
Yeah, I've always found in it to be a secure connection on the lightning devices I"ve owned.

Not that I've ever had one connected while in my pocket.

Maybe the issue is the fragile Apple dongle, or it could be the inconvenience of having a cable from your pocket to your head.

I'll test out my pi zero hotspot connection theory anyway and see if Airplay or DLNA from the phone can stream to it.

Last edited:

FreakyKiwi

My test was a total success.

I connected my Pi Zero 2W running Volumio (free) to my Android hotspot.

The Volumio app found the device to allow access to the interface including DSP settings etc (Volumio's Fusion DSP is awesome BTW, or at least simple to use with Autoeq presets)

I connectedy my phone using Airplay (AirMusic app) and played music wirelessly from Amazon music.

I connected from the BubbleUPnP app and played local media files using both MPD and DLNA.

I don't have an iPhone so can't test this but expect it would work the same way.
Likewise, I don't have an Apple Music, Spotify, or Tidal subscription but assume that these would also work.

Top Bottom