• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[No Politics] What you need to know about CoVID-19 by SARS-CoV-2 [No Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
40+ cases linked to a church service in Frankfurt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52786242

The one silver lining there is they reopened early enough for authorities there to call off salatul Eid al-Fitr, as that could’ve been a nightmare. (Eid Mubarak to all who celebrate!)

I was worried that religious institutions would take our ape’s call to reopen “churches” right before Eid literally. Fortunately American Muslim communities are educated and prudent, so overwhelmingly masajid instructed believers to pray at home.

Putter

Forum Donor
I posted earlier about what appeared to be a spike 2 weeks after Mother's Day. Now that we're beginning another holiday, I'm reminded of Hill Street Blues and Michael Conrad's warning at the end of each morning's briefing, HEY! LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! (and wear a mask.)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
97,679 dead so far in the US. Woohoo! On the road to 100k, baby! We're #1! We're #1! We're #1!

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The post was obviously sarcastic. A quick scan of Johns Hopkins data shows the US as having the 10th highest Deaths/100,000 population which is also nothing to celebrate especially as we're still in the middle of our curve.
It was way beyond sarcastic, IMO. The post should probably be removed, as it really contributed nothing to the purpose of the thread, while demeaning and insulting a significant percentage of the US population. I thought the purpose of this thread was to provide information as to "what you need to know about covid-19". If he had just posted the latest number of deaths, that would be fine, but he had to throw in some pejorative social commentary.

And as far as I know, nobody is "celebrating" those deaths, anyway. So, I don't know why you even said that.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Missed this a few weeks ago. Combo fabric masks may work pretty well. Cotton with two layers of silk or flannel or chiffon doesn't equal surgical masks, but works quite well. 90% efficiency for 300 nanometer particle size.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alliso...ter-out-airborne-particles-best/#3b67e74a33ce

New fabrics that can kill Covid-19 on contact.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alliso...onavirus-infectivity-on-contact/#1a82ddad1776

Makes me wonder if my electrostatic speakers will kill the virus. Or if some low level electrostatic layers of clothing would do the same.

Last edited:

Maxicut

I just heard on radio that the N95 mask vents exhaled breath to surroundings.

This link concurs: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/certain-type-n95-mask-harm-covid19-spread
The link isn't science backed, it's just a media report
Missed this a few weeks ago. Combo fabric masks may work pretty well. Cotton with two layers of silk or flannel or chiffon doesn't equal surgical masks, but works quite well.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alliso...ter-out-airborne-particles-best/#3b67e74a33ce

New fabrics that can kill Covid-19 on contact.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alliso...onavirus-infectivity-on-contact/#1a82ddad1776

Makes me wonder if my electrostatic speakers will kill the virus. Or if some low level electrostatic layers of clothing would do the same.
That's the point... works pretty well isn't good enough, nor will it protect you or the others around you. Science?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The link isn't science backed, it's just a media report

That's the point... works pretty well isn't good enough, nor will it protect you or the others around you. Science?
You still haven't figured out there is no all or nothing point with this. Not even the N95 is 100%. Nor that if you can't get the very best mask, making one that helps some is better than none at all. N95 is said to be 95% efficient at 300 nanometers. Those combo fabric ones I pointed to above tested out to 90%. So you are going to tell me 95% GOOD, 90% not good enough no protection? You need some help in processing this information.

Wombat

Master Contributor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You still haven't figured out there is no all or nothing point with this. Not even the N95 is 100%. Nor that if you can't get the very best mask, making one that helps some is better than none at all. N95 is said to be 95% efficient at 300 nanometers. Those combo fabric ones I pointed to above tested out to 90%. So you are going to tell me 95% GOOD, 90% not good enough no protection? You need some help in processing this information.

I have two different kinds of N95 masks on hand (I use them routinely in my work). One of the types has a port with a rubber diaphragm to relieve exhaled pressure. That will do exactly zero to block any size exhaled aerosol. Yet I've see people wearing them at Whole Foods.

Maxicut

I'm guessing you're from the US. Why the virus is spreading in the US is because... even if everyone had access to N95's, the general public does not know how to fit them properly, nor will they dispose of them after each use. Using one causes more problems than it fixes. Secondly, people get a false sense of security when wearing a mask 'of any sort', which results in a lack of social distancing... which is why it is speading out of control in the US. That is the actual reason! The current death rate per day just in New York, is the same as the total deaths in all of Australia (so far). I'm just trying to help, so maybe you should wonder why the big difference... maybe it is you that needs to stop & think just for a sec? Me & just about everyone else here has never worn a mask through this whole thing. Someone commented on an earlier post that if I was surround by a large group of people, would I wear a mask then? Well I wouldn't be that stupid to be surrounded by a large amount of people in these current times in the 1st place. If this doesn't make the remotest bit of sense to you, it just goes to show that you're thinking on the matter is a closed one way street.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing you're from the US. Why the virus is spreading in the US is because... even if everyone had access to N95's, the general public does not know how to fit them properly, nor will they dispose of them after each use. Using one causes more problems than it fixes. Secondly, people get a false sense of security when wearing a mask 'of any sort', which results in a lack of social distancing... which is why it is speading out of control in the US. That is the actual reason! The current death rate per day just in New York, is the same as the total deaths in all of Australia (so far). I'm just trying to help, so maybe you should wonder why the big difference... maybe it is you that needs to stop & think just for a sec? Me & just about everyone else here has never worn a mask through this whole thing. Someone commented on an earlier post that if I was surround by a large group of people, would I wear a mask then? Well I wouldn't be that stupid to be surrounded by a large amount of people in these current times in the 1st place. If this doesn't make the remotest bit of sense to you, it just goes to show that you're thinking on the matter is a closed one way street.

It isn't spreading out of control in the USA. The rates of infection vary widely and the different parts of the USA have widely varying conditions. The rest of your comments don't amount to anything. Obviously coming into contact with no one is safest. Yet for some people that isn't fully possible. Obviously if you have to be out a mask can help. Among people like civil servants and essential service workers a mask is better than not. You seem to be the one hung up on the idea people think it grants total protection. As for Australia it has done well and yes maybe looking at that will teach us something. OTOH NYC population density is about 9000 times that of Australia.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Masks etc. must be used and handled properly, and it's not easy. https://www.sfcdcp.org/communicable-disease/healthy-habits/how-to-put-on-and-remove-a-face-mask/ (I've been doing this professionally for almost 40 years...)

Best practice is is to keep distance and wash hands frequently. If one must got to a crowded space, wear a fresh disposable mask and remove it as soon as you can - and wash hands right after that!

In Europe restrictions are eased, but local epidemies will happen. Summertime helps, but we must not forget hygienic precautions!

Maxicut

It isn't spreading out of control in the USA. The rates of infection vary widely and the different parts of the USA have widely varying conditions. The rest of your comments don't amount to anything. Obviously coming into contact with no one is safest. Yet for some people that isn't fully possible. Obviously if you have to be out a mask can help. Among people like civil servants and essential service workers a mask is better than not. You seem to be the one hung up on the idea people think it grants total protection. As for Australia it has done well and yes maybe looking at that will teach us something. OTOH NYC population density is about 9000 times that of Australia.
The poputation density of Sydney is not much less than that of New York's, so that point is mute. It isn't spreading out of control in the US? How big is the rock you live under? This site is your typical boys club & obviously I'm not a member. I'm VERY surprised with Wombats attitude? You enjoy your under control pandemic, while I'll enjoy my freedom. You can also enjoy your 300 deaths per million, compared to our 4. Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Masks etc. must be used and handled properly, and it's not easy. https://www.sfcdcp.org/communicable-disease/healthy-habits/how-to-put-on-and-remove-a-face-mask/ (I've been doing this professionally for almost 40 years...)

Best practice is is to keep distance and wash hands frequently. If one must got to a crowded space, wear a fresh disposable mask and remove it as soon as you can - and wash hands right after that!

In Europe restrictions are eased, but local epidemies will happen. Summertime helps, but we must not forget hygienic precautions!
You've described what I've been doing. I've shopped for groceries once every two weeks for myself and my elderly father. Seen a couple relatives and one pair of friends about once per week. Otherwise I stay at home or outdoors close to no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom