• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No point picking based on DAC chip used?

xand

I know that the newest DACs have slightly better specifications (if implemented properly).

However, any DAC chip released in (say) the last 10 years should have sufficiently good specifications that the choice is almost certainly inaudible (and hence irrelevant)?

I might be missing some FAQ which discusses this - please let me know.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe not any DAC chip - there are good one's and very cheap one's for ultra low cost devices - but generally speaking you're right. Good DAC chips are audibly transparent since the 1990ies (closer to 30 years than 10 years).

OP
X

xand

Thanks - so if I'm looking for something to drive headphones - the amplification section is more important? I'm buying now, so everything available new almost definitely has a DAC chip from within the last 10 years.

EdW

My approach would be to choose a DAC from the top performing DACs on Amir’s lists of DACs with a good reserve of power to drive your chosen headphones. You may also prefer rotary volume controls over up/down switches etc.

olivier salad

One thing that is often overlooked when reviewing DACs is whether it operates problem free or not. You can assume that every new DAC in 2021 works just fine but that is not the case. With some products you can have occasional pops, unwanted noises, shutdowns, etc, and that is more important than a couple dbs of sinad.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You definitely want to ignore the DAC chip used and look for measurements instead. Without measurements, you will be shopping bling and what chip is used inside will not help you.

Top Bottom