• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No more excuses for no oscilloscope

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
For around $100 this device does almost everything you need for audio electronics. Oscilloscope, function generator, DVM, and even a component tester that does semiconductors.

Martinvb

Had one of these. Worked well as component tester, but seems quite delicate: I blew the thing up when measuring a low voltage circuit. Still pondering about buying a new one though, there is not much competition in this price range (or is there?)

RandomEar

If you can live without the component tester or want to buy that seperately, this Zeeweii is even cheaper and has a much higher bandwidth (>20 MHz, instead of <1 MHz):

Cheap oscilloscopes have really made significant progress in the past couple of years. I don't really need one, but I do want to play with one :D

egellings

Major Contributor
I can't imagine life without an oscilloscope. I'd be totally lost.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
40 volt maximum input voltage, with no reverse-polarity protection? Ugh, maybe stick to using it as a signal generator and diode + transistor tester.

100 MHz dual-trace analog oscilloscopes can still be had for not much more $ than that FNIRSI.

Brand-new DSOs from reputable makers like Rigol aren't that expensive, either.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I only measure things that I can do something about. Honest question here - what information will an oscilloscope give me that I can do something about? If it only tells me information about something I have already bought, then for me it's for curiosity rather than of any real use.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For measuring audio performance, a scope is of very limited use. One thing it can do is to give you the frequency response, albeit manually. A voltmeter doesn't have broad enough bandwidth to do this whereas a scope can. Scopes also have FFTs but they are usually very low resolution.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
A reasonably priced O-scope is not the best tool for measurement. But a 50 megahertz O-scope is a great toll for troubleshooting interference, ringing and oscillating.

OhSoJoe

As far as audio performance measurements, an oscilloscope can measure rise time. I like this feature for vintage audio gear. Some old transistors, opamps, and capacitor coupled amplifier designs are slow, and this is a source of distortion at higher frequencies. As such, the rise time at 10 khz is a common measure of audio performance which is used to compare amps/preamps and it can inform repairs and upgrades.

Edit: I don't know how relevant this is to modern gear. I think everything is sufficiently fast these days.

OP
C

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
These are mostly for people repairing, building, or experimenting with circuits, I know some of you do. And if you roll opamps or other semiconductors you can check for ringing/oscillation.

notsodeadlizard

I have something similar, and far from the cheapest, I needed a mobile "tester for evaluating signals."
And here's what I can say - these are funny devices, calling them oscilloscopes is an insult to excellent measuring instruments :)

OP
C

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Its $100, of course its not excellent, but it does what it says (what used to take 3 different devices) and its all most hobbyists need.

Martinvb

Another nice add-on feature was that it could read IR codes from any remote control device, which you can use in your DIY projects. For me the oscilloscope feature was more of a gimmick than useful.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope...
I value my financial well-being
Nope... before it's too late...

I am off this thread ... I dodged a bullet ...Oooooof!

Peace.

Top Bottom