• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No low end with DTS

AlexOak

Hey! Just bought a Marantz PM7000N since I’m going from 5.1 to stereo for my main listening setup. When I play DTS material from my Sony UBP-800 via coax to the marantz it sounds like there is a high pass filter @ like 200hz. What’s this about? I have the Sony downmix to pcm stereo, I’m clueless right now.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
How about with Dolby? How about with a stereo track (probably LPCM or Dolby)? Have you tried more than one disc?

The only thing I can think of is that the "point one" channel is normally not included in the downmix. But the LFE channel is supposed to be for low-frequency effects only (extra bass for booms & explosions, etc.). The other 5 channels are supposed to contain the "regular bass" (so the LFE isn't used for music.) But, there is at least one famous movie where they "forgot" to leave the regular bass in the other channels.

Last edited:
OP
A

AlexOak

[quote}with DTS
How about with Dolby? How about with a stereo track (probably LPCM or Dolby)? Have you tried more than one disc?

The only thing I can think of is that the "point one" channel is normally not included in the downmix. But the LFE channel is supposed to be for low-frequency effects only (extra bass for booms & explosions, etc.). The other 5 channels are supposed to contain the "regular bass" (so the LFE isn't used for music.) But, there is at least one famous movie where they "forgot" to leave the regular bass in the other channels.[/QUOTE]
I tried tenet DTS-HD MASTER and have no low end

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried tenet DTS-HD MASTER and have no low end

Have you compared that bluray disc to a streaming version of Tenet? I don't recall either being particularly devoid of the low end....but I only rented the disc so couldn't compare them myself.

OP
A

AlexOak

Have you compared that bluray disc to a streaming version of Tenet? I don't recall either being particularly devoid of the low end....but I only rented the disc so couldn't compare them myself.
I have not, but I can tell you most DTS tracks I’ve tried lack bass, but the Dolby ones don’t

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not, but I can tell you most DTS tracks I’ve tried lack bass, but the Dolby ones don’t
Never noticed any sort of consistency like that. More likely just a mix where they've gone light on the low end.

OP
A

AlexOak

Never noticed any sort of consistency like that. More likely just a mix where they've gone light on the low end.

Maybe its the downmixing in the blu-ray player? When I used an avr and downmixed to stereo I had no problem

OP
A

AlexOak

Just tried Blade Runner 2049 on UHD and here I get a ton of low end. So that’s True-HD, maybe the downmixing of DTS HD-Master is just weird with the Sony UBP-800?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe its the downmixing in the blu-ray player? When I used an avr and downmixed to stereo I had no problem

Never played much with downmixing....no need. But sounds like you found a possible culprit alright....otoh Blade Runner 2049 is a somewhat hot mix as well as plenty of low end. Ideally all DTS or Dolby do is compress the mix and both should yield the samething after decoding....ideally.

OP
A

AlexOak

Never played much with downmixing....no need. But sounds like you found a possible culprit alright....otoh Blade Runner 2049 is a somewhat hot mix as well as plenty of low end. Ideally all DTS or Dolby do is compress the mix and both should yield the samething after decoding....ideally.

I think Dolby is 2ch core and DTS isn’t, that’s just something I’ve heard but not sure. Either way it’s so strange that tenet which is also a hot mix sounds like a high pass @200hz

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Dolby is 2ch core and DTS isn’t, that’s just something I’ve heard but not sure. Either way it’s so strange that tenet which is also a hot mix sounds like a high pass @200hz

I've watched a rip (AC3 IIRC), streaming (DD+) and the disc. Didn't find any of them particularly different. I knww Dolby TrueHD has a DD core, not sure if Dolby 2.0 is another....been ages since I've been stuck with only 2ch.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
You could try setting the player to bitstream to see if the Marantz decodes that properly.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I wouldn't expect it to handle a DTS stream if it is an integrated stereo amp... Does it say it will handle DTS? Do you mean DSD?

OP
A

AlexOak

I wouldn't expect it to handle a DTS stream if it is an integrated stereo amp... Does it say it will handle DTS? Do you mean DSD?
We are talking movies here so the only question really is why is there now low end when playing Tenet for example with the DTS track vs something like blade runner where there is plenty…

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
We are talking movies here so the only question really is why is there now low end when playing Tenet for example with the DTS track vs something like blade runner where there is plenty…

Sorry, I misunderstood. Your original post said you were going going from 5.1 to stereo with a two-channel amp so I was confused. Carry on...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for S&G I just played the beginning of my bluray of BR2049 in both Dolby and DTS since the disc has both. and there's reasonable bass content...no difference at that level (7.1). Don't really have things setup to accommodate a downmix in the player, no specific 2ch output options that I see.....perhaps if I had it hooked it up with 2ch analog to force it, but I don't.

I also just listened to the same bit in 2ch having my avr downmix to 2.0 (by turning other speakers/subs off) and neither sounds bass attenuated, and that's both with using the Dolby TrueHD/DTS MAHD and "stereo" settings (with subs turned off still). Can't say bass shy came into my thoughts at all....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have measurement gear? That would be another way to "see" what you're hearing perhaps....

OP
A

AlexOak

You have measurement gear? That would be another way to "see" what you're hearing perhaps....

I don’t need any equipment to confirm what I hear here it’s kinda obvious. Sounds like something is broken almost, just with tenet. It’s like they mixed everything from 200hz and below into the lfe and forgot to put any bass into the other channels and when my Blu-ray player downmixes into stereo it throws out the lfe. But I doubt this is the case, with the sound mix of the movie I mean.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t need any equipment to confirm what I hear here it’s kinda obvious. Sounds like something is broken almost, just with tenet. It’s like they mixed everything from 200hz and below into the lfe and forgot to put any bass into the other channels and when my Blu-ray player downmixes into stereo it throws out the lfe. But I doubt this is the case, with the sound mix of the movie I mean.

Usually the LFE limit is 120hz in any case. Is it just a level thing? Wnat about if you use say a DD+ version via streaming?

Top Bottom