• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No low end with DTS

OP
A

AlexOak

Usually the LFE limit is 120hz in any case. Is it just a level thing? Wnat about if you use say a DD+ version via streaming?
I’ll try that, but it seems so weird that it’s just this movie, I’ve tried other DTS sources (movies) that surely would sound heavier with lfe but there is not a complete lack of bass atleast with those. I’m just frustrated because I’ve been running stereo for a bit now but with an avr and decided to buy a stereo amp instead due to size and the lack of need for a bunch of channels and hdmi etc. But I’m thinking now that I might no be able to leave the avr “scene” so to speak.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll try that, but it seems so weird that it’s just this movie, I’ve tried other DTS sources (movies) that surely would sound heavier with lfe but there is not a complete lack of bass atleast with those. I’m just frustrated because I’ve been running stereo for a bit now but with an avr and decided to buy a stereo amp instead due to size and the lack of need for a bunch of channels and hdmi etc. But I’m thinking now that I might no be able to leave the avr “scene” so to speak.

How much space does an integrated amp save vs an avr? Why did you buy a limited 2ch amp instead? Can't imagine what that Marantz brings to the table except limitations....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Go thru the Sony's manual and see if there are any settings for folding the LFE channel into the mains, some units do.

OP
A

AlexOak

How much space does an integrated amp save vs an avr? Why did you buy a limited 2ch amp instead? Can't imagine what that Marantz brings to the table except limitations....

I enjoy simplicity and for as long as I live in my apartment I won’t be running a 5.1 or more. But this is besides the point, you should not need an avr just because one movie has a bad sound mix? I see your point and all but I went from an older avr that cost 500 bucks to this marantz which is about 13-1400. Are you suggesting me to buy like a Denon 4700h instead and only use the two channels?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoy simplicity and for as long as I live in my apartment I won’t be running a 5.1 or more. But this is besides the point, you should not need an avr just because one movie has a bad sound mix? I see your point and all but I went from an older avr that cost 500 bucks to this marantz which is about 13-1400. Are you suggesting me to buy like a Denon 4700h instead and only use the two channels?

Might work better. :) The older avr could work just as well, if not better, and save you 13-1400 bucks.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No such thing on the BDP-800
Bummer, the issue has to be in the Sony and the way it handles the downmix.
All I can thing of is to pick up a different older used player for cheap, one with analog outputs and see if that fixes things. :(

OP
A

AlexOak

Bummer, the issue has to be in the Sony and the way it handles the downmix.
All I can thing of is to pick up a different older used player for cheap, one with analog outputs and see if that fixes things. :(

But the thing is that it’s not a problem with every DTS mix, but yeah sure I might try that too

Offler

Hey! Just bought a Marantz PM7000N since I’m going from 5.1 to stereo for my main listening setup. When I play DTS material from my Sony UBP-800 via coax to the marantz it sounds like there is a high pass filter @ like 200hz. What’s this about? I have the Sony downmix to pcm stereo, I’m clueless right now.

1. I had similar problem with my desktop PC and DAC inside amplifier (d3020v2) connected over Toslink. Initially I blamed the DAC, because when I used analog input, the sound was fine.

I would guess it sounds like this:

Later I found out that I used bad driver for the PC soundcard (it manages Toslink output), that there is an audiolimiter when gain is above -0,14dB and that AUX and OPT outputs are unbalanced and OPT is about -4dB compared to AUX. When I fixed all this, OPT and AUX sound exactly the same since.

2. I recently purchased bluray of japanese movie Ghost in the Shell, 4k+FHD package.
I found out that PowerDVD20 is automatically switching from DTS-HD MA to AC3.
It does so, because its trying to bistream all 6 channels at once, and Toslink supposedly does not have enough bandwidth for lossless audio.

Workaround for me - software downmix to stereo (in 32bit float 48KHz) and then sent to Toslink (as 24bit padded, 48Khz stereo)

OP
A

AlexOak

1. I had similar problem with my desktop PC and DAC inside amplifier (d3020v2) connected over Toslink. Initially I blamed the DAC, because when I used analog input, the sound was fine.

I would guess it sounds like this:

Later I found out that I used bad driver for the PC soundcard (it manages Toslink output), that there is an audiolimiter when gain is above -0,14dB and that AUX and OPT outputs are unbalanced and OPT is about -4dB compared to AUX. When I fixed all this, OPT and AUX sound exactly the same since.

2. I recently purchased bluray of japanese movie Ghost in the Shell, 4k+FHD package.
I found out that PowerDVD20 is automatically switching from DTS-HD MA to AC3.
It does so, because its trying to bistream all 6 channels at once, and Toslink supposedly does not have enough bandwidth for lossless audio.

Workaround for me - software downmix to stereo (in 32bit float 48KHz) and then sent to Toslink (as 24bit padded, 48Khz stereo)

I’m not going to go that deep to fix this problem for one movie, just watched Django yesterday and that's dts hd master and there was plenty of low end.

Top Bottom