• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"No further upgrades needed" desktop setup / Neumann-based?

beren777

I probably won't ever be able to afford this (~$3,700 is a lot for a desktop sound system), but in theory, would the following components be compatible and function well as a desktop sound system?
  1. 2x Neumann KH 120 II monitors
  2. Neumann KH 750 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer (non-AES67 version)
  3. Topping D10B DAC
DAC to subwoofer via SPDIF (with RCA/BNC adapter), from sub to monitor via SPDIF (with RCA/BNC adapter), monitor A to monitor B via SPDIF.

I was initially confused how the monitors would tell left channel from right channel on the SPDIF input, but there's a slider switch on the back to set it.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Depends what you mean by "no upgrades needed". You might get there for 1k or 50k.

Your example system is already way into diminishing returns but could of course use a beefier sub or four. Room correction of course. Maybe larger monitors from Neumann.

OP
B

beren777

Depends what you mean by "no upgrades needed". You might get there for 1k or 50k.

Your example system is already way into diminishing returns but could of course use a beefier sub or four. Room correction of course. Maybe larger monitors from Neumann.
Yeah, it's ambiguous. The intent is near-field use with a PC, generally going to be within 2 to 5 feet of it.

boxerfan88

A couple of thoughts:
  • if possible, stretch for KH150, i have heard them, they are really good.
  • consider dropping the DAC, buy time to save up for a better one
    • i think these days most PC motherboard has SPDIF out .

Elder

I would say add another KH750 and the MA1 calibration mic and you would truly be at "end game".

Personally I plan on buying the KH310 and then after the bank account recovers look to start buying 2x KH750 and the MA1. The KH310 are more expensive, but will allow me to enjoy some decent bass while saving for the rest of the kit.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Has the Topping D10B a volume control? You won't need the DAC functionality, but only some kind of volume control for the digital outs. If the Topping provides that, good. But you would not be able to connect the MA1.

OP
B

beren777

Has the Topping D10B a volume control? You won't need the DAC functionality, but only some kind of volume control for the digital outs. If the Topping provides that, good. But you would not be able to connect the MA1.
I assumed I'd use the PC for volume control, as it's going to be the digital sound source.

IamJF

Why do you need a DAC when you go digital into your speakers? You COULD use your optical output and convert to SPDIF.
I like to have a "real" voulem control which is easy in my setup with RME - but when you stay digital that's totally overkill.

Don't forget the MA1 to add to your system! Difference is BIG!
And you could go with the KH80 for just listening to music on your desktop. Or start with the KH120ii + MA1 and add the sub later.

mj30250

I had a similar goal earlier this year, that being to set up a truly "I'm done now" desktop system, however, I also wanted to free up floor space by ditching my (old) sub. With that in mind I opted for KH 150s + MA 1. Subjectively, I am absolutely thrilled with the setup. Being a bass head, I dialed in a healthy bass boost with MA 1 and I personally do not miss a sub at all. If you desire additional extension, then KH 120 IIs + KH750 + MA 1 will provide you with a virtually identical sound signature but with the extra bass reach. Keep in mind that you will need an audio input with 48V phantom power to use MA 1.

FWIW, I purchased from Thomann (shipped to USA) and saved a bunch in comparison to buying from a domestic vendor.

OP
B

beren777

Why do you need a DAC when you go digital into your speakers? You COULD use your optical output and convert to SPDIF.
I like to have a "real" voulem control which is easy in my setup with RME - but when you stay digital that's totally overkill.

Don't forget the MA1 to add to your system! Difference is BIG!
And you could go with the KH80 for just listening to music on your desktop. Or start with the KH120ii + MA1 and add the sub later.

My optical sound output is already in use. I suppose there's no reason a straight USB to RCA SPDIF wouldn't work just as well and cost less.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Is this intended to be your primary listening rig? Your specifying it being a desktop setup suggests perhaps not.

If it is not your main rig I'd say the suggestions of multiple subs would be overkill in terms of expense.

teashea

I probably won't ever be able to afford this (~$3,700 is a lot for a desktop sound system), but in theory, would the following components be compatible and function well as a desktop sound system?
  1. 2x Neumann KH 120 II monitors
  2. Neumann KH 750 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer (non-AES67 version)
  3. Topping D10B DAC
DAC to subwoofer via SPDIF (with RCA/BNC adapter), from sub to monitor via SPDIF (with RCA/BNC adapter), monitor A to monitor B via SPDIF.

I was initially confused how the monitors would tell left channel from right channel on the SPDIF input, but there's a slider switch on the back to set it.
That would be a great setup.

Top Bottom