• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(No Debate) [Extreme Political] What you need to know about Hong Kong's new National Security Law

bobbooo

Major Contributor

A.West

Forum Donor
Going back to the topic I think what you need to know is that free political speech and criticism of the CCP is potentially risky. High profile dissidents and journalists willing to write on sensitive topics are also possibly at risk, even if just passing through HK. I doubt they will go after everyone, but enough to change behavior. Anyone disagree?

Btw, I have family in China, and my wife has in the past had friends murdered by the CCP for their political activism. I've been analyzing the economies of HK and China for over 25 years. I'm pessimistic about HK's future. The CCP does not recognize individual rights, while that was something that once differentiated HK favorably from neighbors. What will that do to the economy, property values? Probably not good things.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it time to update a hoary old joke?

Confucius say: Man who runs in front of gov't-owned bus will soon be tired, and man who runs behind gov't-owned bus will soon be exhausted.

Could not this mess be solved simply by organizing a Jackie Chan versus Jet Li match, winner take all? Or would it backfire because anyone betting on Jackie would risk arrest, even if they used a blank betting slip?

Does the tibetan buddhist theory of reincarnation imply that someone who was arrested in a previous lifetime could be arrested in the current one by a reincarnation of the person who arrested them in the previous lifetime? This could get very confusing if they swapped roles in successive lives. The endless possibilities absolutely call for a movie starring Nicholas Cage. Followed, naturally, by a remake a few years later starring JCvD.

I really wanted to play second fiddle on the deck of the Titanic (the movie, natch), but missed the boat on that one.

Last edited:

carlosmante

1. Please remove if deemed inappropriate.

2. I am so sorry my place has brought so many troubles to the world.

3. Purely informational for personal interests, should you need to visit. No Debate.

Facts:

1. On July 1 2020, the new National Security Law officially becomes effective.

2. Should you read Chinese, you know where to find it.

3. Should you can't read Chinese, sorry no official English version has been made available. (2 Jul HKT)

4. Local residents arrested in demonstrations on 1 Jul 2020, for possessing articles such as Taiwanese flags, stickers containing slogans of political demands, etc

5. Stores and shops removed sensitive articles to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

6. Stores and shops were further requested by the Police Force to remove articles, or risk facing charges and prosecution.

7. Political groups self-disbanded to avoid possible criminal liabilities.

Here you may find a statement made by the Hong Kong Bar Association on the law.
- Statement of the Hong Kong Bar Association on the Law of the People’s Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

And a statement by Chief Justice
Statement by Chief Justice of Court of Final Appeal (02-07-2020)

You may read the following for more local news
https://hongkongfp.com/
https://www.scmp.com/

on 1 Jul 2020

I guess is the "Patriot Act", Chinese Version. Don't Worry.

OP
A

andymok

Police arrested 19-year-old Tony Chung on Wednesday evening at his residence in Yuen Long and took him to Ma On Shan police station.

three males and one female aged 16 to 21 had been arrested – each said they were students. He said the force made the arrests based on the content of social media accounts.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"who are the brain police?"

- Zappa

OP
A

andymok

全世界都必須愛國愛港

//Samuel Chu 朱牧民:

Today, I woke up to media reports that I am a wanted fugitive.

My alleged crimes? “Inciting secession” and “colluding with foreign powers” under Hong Kong’s National Security Law.

Except I am an American citizen and have been for almost 25 years. If the reports are true, the Hong Kong police is issuing an arrest warrant against an American citizen for advocating and lobbying my own government.

Let me be very clear – I might be the first non-Chinese citizen to be targeted, but I will not be the last. If I am targeted, any American and any citizen of any nation who speaks out for Hong Kong can, and will be, too.//

OP
A

andymok

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/31/china-hong-kong-security-law-american-citizen-exiles

China uses Hong Kong security law against US and UK-based activists
  • Arrest warrant issued for campaigner and US citizen Samuel Chu
  • Britons also among those wanted for ‘incitement to secession’

Critics warned that it would be used to target legitimate opposition, and highlighted the unusual decision to make the law applicable to both Hong Kong residents and non-residents. That apparently gives China jurisdiction beyond its own borders.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it time to update a hoary old joke?

Confucius say: Man who runs in front of gov't-owned bus will soon be tired, and man who runs behind gov't-owned bus will soon be exhausted.

While I'm sure it was not your intent, you should know that "Confucius say" memes are often considered offensive to people of Asian descent.

Could not this mess be solved simply by organizing a Jackie Chan versus Jet Li match, winner take all? Or would it backfire because anyone betting on Jackie would risk arrest, even if they used a blank betting slip?

Similarly, and again likely not your intent, invoking the kung-fu/martial arts stereotype can also be considered offensive by individuals of Asian descent.

The reality is that 7.5 million people are about to lose certain freedoms that you likely enjoy and perhaps take for granted. I'm not exactly sure that references to "confucius say" jokes and kung fu battles are really appropriate here.

Top Bottom