• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No audio in a balanced setup (THX 789 + DX7s)

nikita285

Hey everyone. I've finally received my THX 789 and was excited to set it up, but I'm not hearing any audio with my setup.

I have a pair of HiFiMAN Arya with a balanced cable which I used to plug into my Topping DX7s and it works great. I've received my THX 789 which I was excited to plug in and setup however I'm not getting any audio at all.

I've plugged the left and right XLR-3's from the DX7s to the THX 789 and connected the balanced headphone cable to the THX 789. The mode on my DX7s is set to USB.

y0puES4.jpg

YeHihMx.jpg

pHntLlS.jpg

2PrPtI6.jpg

I've played with literally every button at this point (Toggling the input on THX 789, etc.), so what am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, see with a multimeter if you are getting output from the Topping. Use a low in level tone and see if it is on the XLR output. If yes, then the problem is in the THX unit. Check and see if anything is coming out of the SE headphone jack of the THX unit.

The Topping manual shows you can select either RCA out, XLR out or both out. Is XLR selected?

Veri

Master Contributor
@nikita285 Silly question but on the THX amp, the right-most button is an input selected (RCA/XLR inputs). you adjusted it, yes?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the manual the Topping is set to output for the headphone amp only. So no output at the RCA/XLR's according to your photo.
Thanks to @maxxevv for posting the manual. You should see an up and down triangle if both line and amp outputs on the Topping are active. The Line Out button on the remote should fix it.
1587715643349.png

Top Bottom