• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No access to amplifier forum? - 2

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Running 99.0.1 on PCLinuxOS here, no sign of any issues?
Neither on my Windoz 10 partition.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't reproduce.

I personally would start with a clean Firefox profile and make sure there are no antivirus, security, proxy or DPI tools running on the PC or the router.

Sometimes it helps to request the same page with wget or lynx to see the redirect loop.

A tcpdump with Wireshark would show exactly what browser and server talk about, but stripping TLS from it isn't trivial.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The page redirect error has been happening to me as well. It makes me wonder if the root .htaccess file has been messed with.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another member ran into this (on Mac) and managed to track it down to his DuckDuckGo plug-in. He disabled it and all was good as well as creating a new profile without that in it (?). Can I get OP and whoever else has this problem check to see if they are using this extension and if so, disable it and report back on whether the problem is resolved?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Another member ran into this (on Mac) and managed to track it down to his DuckDuckGo plug-in. He disabled it and all was good as well as creating a new profile without that in it (?). Can I get OP and whoever else has this problem check to see if they are using this extension and if so, disable it and report back on whether the problem is resolved?
Trying it now... Definitely the issue. Disabled it worked, re-enabled it doesn't. Weirdly, it's only Amplifiers, every other subforum works fine.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've installed the plugin and made some tests. The thing is that with the plugin the site's response to the first GET is a 301 code but the location, that is, the new location of the resource, is the same. The browser follows the 301 policy, requests again and again and after some attempts it fires this redirect loop error.
301.png

I've inspected the way the request changes when the plugin is ON and it's quite different. Here are both.

Without the plugin:
GET /forum/index.php?forums/amplifiers-phono-preamp-and-analog-audio-review.13/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.audiosciencereview.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: ca,en-US;q=0.7,en;q=0.3
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Referer: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/
DNT: 1
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
Sec-Fetch-Dest: document
Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate
Sec-Fetch-Site: same-origin
Sec-Fetch-User: ?1
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: _ga_GS2Y68JXCW=GS1.1.1652940017.2027.1.1612345411.0; _ga=GA1.1.471961568.1237426829; xf_user=29193%2CLcyKgc6dfgG3l4YQ-rs71vJwyYF--YT0gTO9jCrO; _gid=GA1.2.1616212365.1652897329; xf_csrf=4e7x0keqFAGV5vHg; xf_session=mnTtUp5ikdfgVIVTJzxFckLroM3PSH7R
With the plugin:
GET /forum/index.php?forums/amplifiers-phono-preamp-and-analog-audio-review.13/ HTTP/3
Host: audiosciencereview.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: ca,en-US;q=0.7,en;q=0.3
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Referer: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/
DNT: 1
Alt-Used: audiosciencereview.com
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: _ga_GS2Y68JXCW=GS1.1.1234540017.2027.1.1612345583.0; _ga=GA1.1.471961568.1237426829; _gid=GA1.2.16416212365.1652897329
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
Sec-Fetch-Dest: document
Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate
Sec-Fetch-Site: same-site
Sec-Fetch-User: ?1
TE: trailers
Looking at the differences one should be able to tell what the problem is. The site has some bug for sure, because this page hasn't been moved, at least not apparently, and therefore answering a 301 to the GET makes no sense, regardless if the request has some flaw or not. This must be triggered by some parameter on the request, because it's the only difference, since without the plugin the response is a 200 code.

My personal view is that I don't like what the plugin does to the requests, so I'm disabling it.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Whatever, Chrome here does seem quicker to load and use...

Unfortunately, Firefox is a mess of a browser these days. It's just getting worse and worse with memory requirements, bogging down and I'm getting similar mesages across all my machines that use FF. Did some side by side comparisons of CPU/Mem usage on identical pages and unfortunately, Chrome is the best, by miles. Edge in second place, FF a distant third. Even Brave is better. I wish it wasn't because I love all my FF plugins.

Often 50-80% less resources for the same pages, same sites. Load time and response is also way better. A pity, becuase I am a long time FF user and despise the Google machine, but I can't deny Chrome is good.

On a low spec or old machine/laptop, just use Chrome as FF is virtually unusable in many instances.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, Firefox is a mess of a browser these days. It's just getting worse and worse with memory requirements, bogging down and I'm getting similar mesages across all my machines that use FF. Did some side by side comparisons of CPU/Mem usage on identical pages and unfortunately, Chrome is the best, by miles. Edge in second place, FF a distant third. Even Brave is better. I wish it wasn't because I love all my FF plugins.

Often 50-80% less resources for the same pages, same sites. Load time and response is also way better. A pity, becuase I am a long time FF user and despise the Google machine, but I can't deny Chrome is good.

On a low spec or old machine/laptop, just use Chrome as FF is virtually unusable in many instances.
The issue with Chrome is that it opens a new thread for each tab. So with few tabs, Chrome may be better, but with a lot of tabs, Firefox consumes less resources. Of course, the Chrome strategy ensures good performance of each tab by using more resources globally. This is why there a re popular plugins for chrome like the great suspender that halt unused tabs processes.

My experience with linux is that FF works better in general terms.

Last edited:
OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I just tried it and it does indeed appear to be an issue with the DuckDuckGo extension and once disabled the forum works as expected. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't find Firefox to have any real issues on my old 2008 tower but it's a Linux OS / build?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've installed the plugin and made some tests. The thing is that with the plugin the site's response to the first GET is a 301 code but the location, that is, the new location of the resource, is the same. The browser follows the 301 policy, requests again and again and after some attempts it fires this redirect loop error.
View attachment 207514

I've inspected the way the request changes when the plugin is ON and it's quite different. Here are both.

Without the plugin:

With the plugin:

Looking at the differences one should be able to tell what the problem is. The site has some bug for sure, because this page hasn't been moved, at least not apparently, and therefore answering a 301 to the GET makes no sense, regardless if the request has some flaw or not. This must be triggered by some parameter on the request, because it's the only difference, since without the plugin the response is a 200 code.

My personal view is that I don't like what the plugin does to the requests, so I'm disabling it.
After taking another look at it, I'm quite sure, but I don't have the time to properly test it, it's the fact that the xf_ cookies aren't send what causes the page to answer the 301 code, wrongly in IMHO. To assess it properly, one should making requests to the page trying different combinations of cookies (not mine of course), until the problem appears.

If that doens't cause the problem, then one should use the same strategy with all the parameters in the request, to find the one that causes the issue and report it to both XenForo and DuckDuckGo. Call me naive for saying that...

simbloke

Forum Donor
I've just seen this issue for myself and since I also use DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials I had another look.
DDG is blocking the loading of https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js
It seems that when the pages fails to load this then it triggers to redirect to try and load the whole page again. I'd say it's an issue with the forum software no failing gracefully, though I understand some may think DDG is just breaking the page - it kind of is. Anyway disabling the extension for this site is fine, in general though I leave it enabled because there are so many bad sites out there.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^ I do that with uBlock Origin add-on - per website, per specific Google stuff. It's a bit fiddley though, even with the manual...but eventually i found out how to operate the switches.

Top Bottom