• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nintendo sound comparison

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I think I like 6 and 8 the best. Seem to have the best balance of clarity and bass oomf. Hard to choose between them. Though, I know with much more certainty I like 1 and 7 the least. They're clearly the most muffled of the pack.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very fun! SMB has the best game music of all time.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I just restored an old Compaq 486DX2-66 windows 95 machine with a SB-16 on board and my 12yo and his mate just love it. It sounds pretty darn good through amplified speakers on Wolfenstein 3D and Keen 4!

MRC01

Major Contributor
I just restored an old Compaq 486DX2-66 windows 95 machine with a SB-16 on board and my 12yo and his mate just love it. It sounds pretty darn good through amplified speakers on Wolfenstein 3D and Keen 4!
One of my modern desktops has an original SB-16 back from the late 1980s (or was it early 90s?). IIRC, the late Arny Kreuger measured that and other sound boards back in the day. They weren't great by modern DAC standards, but they were not bad, much better than their reputation, especially among audiophiles.

My favorite Nintendo music is from the Zelda series, especially Twilight Princess which is the only Zelda game I played all the way through on the Wii, took me about 80 hours.

Dant

One of my modern desktops has an original SB-16 back from the late 1980s (or was it early 90s?). IIRC, the late Arny Kreuger measured that and other sound boards back in the day. They weren't great by modern DAC standards, but they were not bad, much better than their reputation, especially among audiophiles.

My favorite Nintendo music is from the Zelda series, especially Twilight Princess which is the only Zelda game I played all the way through on the Wii, took me about 80 hours.

IIRC, anything Sound Blaster from before the PCI and AC’97 days was kinda bad, but mostly on noise. There were better alternatives then, and the hardware clones being made by enthusiasts like on the Vogons forum these days are excellent, though.

Top Bottom