• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Niles SI-2150 Class D Amplifier Review

Gislon

Long story but I've ended up with both the Niles 2150 and the Stageline STA-400D mentioned above as having the same HYPEX units. Both as new, I'm in the UK and they were similar prices. Stagline was £240/$328) and the Niles was £280/$380. Have been auditioning them side by side with a rough non scientific A/B test. Fed by Denon x3700 into Linn 109s.

Non expert personal opinion so far is that the Stageline is crisper and punchier and sounds more 'real'. The Niles is softer with arguably purer treble but at the expense of presence. The Stageline has fans and a cheaper case, but is easier to rack mount or hide as it has no top vent. The Niles runs warm and needs space, but it does have audio sensing to come out of standby mode, which is useful.

I'm replacing a Linn AV5125 as I don't need 5 channels currently. The AV5125 was also sounding too clinical and boxy with the 109s for me, and both these amps resolve that for me. I'm minded to keep the Stageline at the moment - for a mix of music and TV, I like the crispness.

Not sure if the Stageline is available in the US, would be interested to hear others opinions if so. Seems another good value Class D.

Last edited:

Gislon

How is the stageline going?
Funny you should ask. I kept the Niles in the end, but not for long. After several days of listening compared to the Stageline I decided I preferred the softer treble and wider sound stage of the Niles. That was my first taste of hypex (the Niles is UCD 250). Liking what I heard, I then stumbled on the Purifi reviews and came very close to going that route. Luckily, I came across testing and pragmatic reviews of Hypex NC250pm amps and decided that would be the most sensible route for my set up and budget.

I went for the Audiophonics model. It is much easier to live with than the Niles - smaller footprint, faster start up and runs much cooler so it's easier to hide away. I've done a basic A/B test with the Niles (level matching with a SPL meter and switching over within a few seconds). As per all the reviews, to me the Ncore had more detail and more grip, with a cleaner sound stage. But that might just be because that's what I was expecting to hear!

Anyway, I'm very happy with the Ncore. Still very curious to hear a Purifi, but I'll try and forget about that urge for a long time to come.

Hapo

...in the end the used SI 2150 has won out...I was strongly considering a Schitt Vidar...we shall see how it goes with my other Schitt and the ELACS...

...I would have liked to try that Audiophonics model, but I will settle for a well reviewed amp I could find and get shipped easily and cheaply, as I want to experience the Hypex Experience for myself and tend to be an impatient cheapskate TBPH...

...I have been listening to A/B topology all of my life (so far)...never bought an actual D class amp...not sure if I can still hear difference...(grin)

Last edited:

Hapo

...I might end up with two of these...I like the sound of the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0's a lot as I don't know any better, so I was thinking of stacking the amps and another set of ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 upside down on the first set...

...2 x right and 2 x left, each speaker get's is own channel...the tweeters arrayed concetricly together and the bass is spread out...this can set up an awsome wave form that offers outstandeing presentation w/o high volume...it works great when you like the sound of something and want more of it for "free"...I used to run my Nuance towers that way...then they sounded like they did in the store...the sales man thought I was nuts...he wanted to sell me "better" speakers...

...they were wired to show a 2 ohm load to my Adcom GSF 550 amp wich was pretty cool with it...(see what I did there?)

...the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0's are 6 ohms to start so I don't know what the Niles amp would see although I believe 2 ohms is cool with them too...but with these speakers better they each get a channel maybe...

...that is how to set up four speakers (in stero) ...even on a desk top...the SI 2150's would fit on top of my preamp... .!.:D.!.

Last edited:

WinWiz

KxDx

Necro!

I just picked up one of these in mint condition for $250. What a steal. It's getting living room duty, but if I can find another for around this price, I might just sell my Parasound 2250!

Hapo

...there was one for sale here...I was considering it, but I got distracted...

...I have been very satisfied with the Niles 2150 that I have...I really didn't expect to be...

...it changed my perception in regard to D class amps...

...it is driving Elac Carina BS 243.4 speakers...

EDIT : ...I see you found that...LoL...

Top Bottom