• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nikon / Canon / Panasonic's mirrorless are coming soon

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

It seems to be very attractive. It is good to see there will be more competition in the mirrorless market.

Last edited:

welder

Yep, waiting for it and holding thumbs for Nikon.... and wave of naggers saying to big/to small/Sony did it etc:)

Hope it will at least result in minor price drops in spite of healthy competition:)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Maybe this one.

nikonmirrorless3-631x800.jpg

welder

Yep, there were some leaked pictures of it. New mount seems to be enormous:)

welder

Quite pricy but I can live with that. What make me sad is that there is only one card slot:( No serious worki with that one

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Quite pricy but I can live with that. What make me sad is that there is only one card slot:( No serious worki with that one

I agree. Z7 body has a price tag of US$3400. Sony A7RIII is selling at $3000. For Z6 and Sony A7III, they are at the same price.

I think very likely the Sony offers have better AF performance, though Nikon probably has better ergonomics and body construction.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That ad by Nikon is simply dreadful. Slow motion, dopey looking people, blurred images and poor lighting.

welder

Demo version;)
I don't understand this hurry in making this cam. They slept mirrorless revolution anyway.
Few months more would not hurt them I suppose.

Funny thing that 16 mm of flange distance is shortest on the market. So its possible for Nikon to create adapters for any type of mount, even sony and canon:)

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Short flange distance definitely will bring many new possibilities.

I have a Chinese-made Techart adapter for my Sony A7Rii, which gives AF capacity to my old Leica M lenses. Great fun! After all, with high resolution sensors, I really can't trust my eyes for focusing. In the film days, I love my Hasselblad V cameras. Of course they are now collecting dusts. I still hope that one day there will be a 6x6 or at least full 645 mirrorless. Then my old lenses can have a new life :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
A better peek:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Note the new Nikon lens mount for these cameras. Will this appear as a new standard reminiscent of the Canon change to EF mount? At least Nikon is touting a functional adapter for its current and older lenses.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Note the new Nikon lens mount for these cameras. Will this appear as a new standard reminiscent of the Canon change to EF mount? At least Nikon is touting a functional adapter for its current and older lenses.

Nikon should have given up F mount for a long time. It is simply too old a design with only 44mm diameter. The switch of FD mount to EF mount in many ways allowed Canon to become the market leader for more than 20 years. I think Nikon really hope the new Z mount will have the same effect. Clearly the 55mm diameter Z-mount is a bold move.

With that said, looking at different online reviews, Nikon Z bodies seem to lack a state-of-the-art AF capacity. That is a bit disappointing.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Canon coming mirrorless rumored spec:
  • Name: Canon EOS R
  • RF Mount (New mount, possible EF compatibility?)
  • No reports of new “RF” lenses being announced alongside the body.
  • Similar ergonomics to the EOS M50 (pictured above)
  • Slightly larger body than the EOS M50
  • Will compete with the Sony A7 III & Nikon Z6
  • 24mp or 28mp (Two different reports)
  • Announcement September 5, 2018
  • Update: a new RF 24-70mm f/2 mirrorless lens could also be announced

• EOS R body
  • EOS R 24105 kit
  • RF 35 mm F 1.8 M IS
  • RF 50 mm F 1.2 L USM
  • RF 28 - 70 mm F 2 L USM
  • RF 24 - 105 mm F4 L USM
  • EF-M 32 mm F 1.4 STM
  • EF 400 mm F 2.8 L III
  • EF 600 mm F4 L III

https://photorumors.com/2018/08/29/canon-eos-r-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-coming-on-september-5th/

https://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/08/eos-r.html

maxxevv

Major Contributor
According to Nokoshita, its a RF 28-70 f/2 L.

Wonder who is more correct there between the 2 sites?

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
According to Nokoshita, its a RF 28-70 f/2 L.

Wonder who is more correct there between the 2 sites?

24-70 vs 28-70 is a big difference!

Of course I hope it will be a 24 :p

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I highly doubt either is correct.

A 24 / 28-70mm F/2 full-frame tele-zoom would be a huge monster of a lens. F/2.8 maybe.

Unless we are talking about diffractive optics there and the RF lense system has a very close back focus plane that's like sub-10mm range.

Top Bottom