• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nikon / Canon / Panasonic's mirrorless are coming soon

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Foveon pretty much gave up all their interesting differences with the quad sensors.

I agree that the differences are less dramatic with the Quattro sensors. I think it is an unfortunate compromise to improve ISO performance. But in real-life usage, Quattro is much better than Merrill. Merrill is so hard to use, though while it works, it works fantastically.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
One attribute of the X-Trans sensor

All this LGBTQI talk these days and now we have X-Trans cameras?

Once upon a time it was simple. 126 vs. 110 vs. 35. Compact or SLR. Then autofocus vs. manual. Digital vs. film. CCD vs. CMOS. Full frame vs. crop. Now EVF vs. prism vs. mirrorless- my head is going to explode!

None of it makes me a better photographer and my partner can still frame her shots better than me without even thinking. I'm better with the technical side (exposure etc).

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Chinese-made Techart adapter for my Sony A7Rii, which gives AF capacity to my old Leica M lenses.

Wow, I was hoping someone would make this but didn't realize they did already. I use a Leica Summarit 35mm f2.5 on my Sony A7III.

The adapter is almost $400! That is pricey.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A big miss is lack of in-body image stabilizer. I was just shooting macros with my 180mm L and sure would have been nice to have the body add IS to it. Sony continues to lead here.

For macro, wouldn't you want to use a tripod anyway?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming it has a rear touchscreen, you don't select the point but rather, just touch that part of the LCD. I love that about my Canon 5D Mark IV.
I have that on one of my cameras but since I never use the rear screen to compose pictures it is useless for me and I often find I have moved the focus point to somewhere useless by accident. I prefer a joystick under my thumb if I am moving the focus point. Using fast lenses or with complex subjects autofocus often gets it "wrong" anyway. Most of the pro motor racing photographers I know don't use autofocus.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Wow, I was hoping someone would make this but didn't realize they did already. I use a Leica Summarit 35mm f2.5 on my Sony A7III.

The adapter is almost $400! That is pricey.

Yes. It is!

But you can save the cost of buying a Leica M10 :p

I think the Techart adapter will work for Minolta lenses as well, as Leica M lenses have shorter flange distance. You just need to use an extra adapter on the Techart adapter, same as the one on the adorama link. :)

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
IMG_4401.acr_1.jpeg

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9486628197/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-fujifilm-gfx-50r

Oh.. I really like the design language of Fuji!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For macro, wouldn't you want to use a tripod anyway?
Depends if the subject is static or not. Many times if I am chasing an insect or flowers in wind I would love to have IS and handheld shooting. I use my 100-400 IS for that use right now.

Top Bottom