• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nikon 800mm f/5.6 tear down

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nicely done!

On insistence from my photo instructor in Florida, I laid in the sand to take picture of plovers (small shore birds) with my giant 600M F4L lens. Took my pictures but then to my horror, the focus mechanism felt like a good chunk of sand had gotten into it. :( Sent it to Canon and they fixed it free of charge even though it was clearly my fault.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm I just had to replace a D850 which got drenched in a tropical downpour and Nikon would not fix it. They did give me a price break on the replacement. Right now Nikon is not taking repairs.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I just had to replace a D850 which got drenched in a tropical downpour and Nikon would not fix it. They did give me a price break on the replacement. Right now Nikon is not taking repairs.
I have been in pouring rain on many occasions and none of my Canon bodies have failed on me. They were not tropical rain though so maybe that makes a difference.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been in pouring rain on many occasions and none of my Canon bodies have failed on me. They were not tropical rain though so maybe that makes a difference.

It was hours of pouring rain. My Goretex jacket soaked through. No heat or AC at the hotel because of mild temperatures. I might have saved the camera by removing the battery, lens and letting it air out, but that's history. Consider yourself lucky.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few years ago when I was shopping for a waterproof compact camera, I discovered that no manufacturer guarantees that their products will actually work as such, and water damage is never covered by manufacturer's warranty. Also, all but one manufacturer (Fujifilm?) states that water seals have a limited lifespan, usually 1 year. Whether the end-user or service depot can replace them, I don't know.

As for gear sold as weather resistant, the term seems to be defined by the whims of their marketing departments.

Reactions: ENG
Top Bottom