• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
VPI

JMW-10" Gimbal 3D Tonearmhttps://vpiindustries.com/products/jmw-10-gimbal-3d-tonearm​

I imagine the anti-skate is what I circled in yellow. What is the graduated scale for on the big knob to the left of the gimbal that I circled in red?
zzzz tonearm.png

D

Deleted member 51677

I imagine the anti-skate is what I circled in yellow. What is the graduated scale for on the big knob to the left of the gimbal that I circled in red?
View attachment 228524
Yes but VPI recommends not to use, they put it on there because people demanded it I don’t use it. The gradual scale is the VTA tower and is adjustable on the fly

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but VPI recommends not to use, they put it on there because people demanded it I don’t use it. The gradual scale is the VTA tower and is adjustable on the fly
Very cool. I had a similar thread connected anti-skate on my old J.A. Michell Engineering Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference Turntable with Fluid arm. It was very tweaky, fussy and inconvenient. I can understand why they recommend not using it. I bought a fancy quartz lock direct drive Technics to use for a daily driver and the Michell was for only show.
2662468-501ebe36-ja-michell-engineering-hydraulic-reference-turntable-with-fluid-arm.jpg

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Original acrylic platter VPI Scout. I just sold mine for something more user-friendly for my daughter to share, but I will miss it.

bfbvxc.jpg

D

Deleted member 51677

Very cool. I had a similar thread connected anti-skate on my old J.A. Michell Engineering Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference Turntable with Fluid arm. It was very tweaky, fussy and inconvenient. I can understand why they recommend not using it. I bought a fancy quartz lock direct drive Technics to use for a daily driver and the Michell was for only show.
2662468-501ebe36-ja-michell-engineering-hydraulic-reference-turntable-with-fluid-arm.jpg
Cool though

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that the type of turntable that Alex had in A Clockwork Orange?

alex-bedroom-record-player-turntable-a-clockwork-orange.jpg

EDIT: Strictly no. The Michell is a reproduction of a previous turntable. Background can be found at https://filmandfurniture.com/2021/0...ic-reference-turntable-in-a-clockwork-orange/.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't that the type of turntable that Alex had in A Clockwork Orange?

View attachment 228734

EDIT: Strictly no. The Michell is a reproduction of a previous turntable. Background can be found at https://filmandfurniture.com/2021/0...ic-reference-turntable-in-a-clockwork-orange/.
As a couple of commentors have mentioned that story is quite incomplete. It is not a reproduction of a previous turntable. The turntable above is a Transcriptors turntable built by John Michell. Transcriptors (the company) contracted with Michell Engineering to build these turntables and also built them themselves. Later turntables built by Michell under license from Transcriptors had different wording on the badge - "Transcription turntable by J A Michell Engineering" in contrast to "Transcriptors turntable by J A Michell Engineering." I realise it all probably seems a bit pedantic, but there is a lot of confusion around this situation.

The turntable is a David Gammon (Transcriptors) design. However, Michell already had a connection with Stanley Kubrick and Kubrick was introduced to the Transcriptors turntable on a visit to Michell's premises where the turntable was being made. So it seems likely that Kubrick saw a Michell built turntable and was then given a Transcriptors built turntable for A Clockwork Orange.

Of course, the story doesn't end there. The pods on Michell's turntable eventually became the eyes of the first C3PO.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You should see the rest. It's in a closet and don't give a darn.
Must be the "yin-n-yang" of audio...
Which, by definition "Yin and yang is a Chinese philosophical concept that describes opposite but interconnected forces..."

Definitely, must not be the feng shui of audio...
Which, by definition "feng shui is a practice of arranging the pieces in living spaces to create balance with the natural world."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You should see the rest. It's in a closet and don't give a darn.
Mines worse and I also don't care, it doesn't effect the sound in any way and
thankfully I don't have an ole lady to nag me about it. :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
LoL!
We have a cleaning lady that always moves my left speaker to clean behind it... but she has specific instructions to NOT poke at the drivers.
If your speakers are minus grills I'd be scared to death. If possible put the grills on for her work days.

Top Bottom