• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Robin L

Master Contributor
School type turntable, $15 at a yard sale [the Leibowitz Beethoven Symphony cycle set me back $1], playing on the kitchen counter as I make some cookies:

1974325_862204230498502_2682965907893961634_o.jpg

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
What an awe-inspiring collection!
I was going to ask if the Nakamichi might be the easiest to distinguish from the others (because of the disc-centering mechanism that reduces pitch variations from off-center pressings)... but in your example, has the centering arm with the sensor been replaced with a conventional tonearm? Also, may I ask what the small tube in front of the Nakamichi is?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor
What an awe-inspiring collection!
I was going to ask if the Nakamichi might be the easiest to distinguish from the others (because of the disc-centering mechanism that reduces pitch variations from off-center pressings)... but in your example, has the centering arm with the sensor been replaced with a conventional tonearm? Also, may I ask what the small tube in front of the Nakamichi is?

The Dragon CT has the centering arm that looks like a tonearm. The TX-1000 gilds the lily a bit more:

The tube is a bicycle tire pump for the pneumatic feet.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My third and last record player: A Linn LP12 (bought new in 1994), with Linn Lingo power supply, Linn Ekos arm (both bought used in 1996) and a Van den Hul MC One Special pickup (bought used around 2000 and retipped once). Just playing a direct-to-disc recording I bought for €1 out of the trash bin at a local dealer about 2 years ago.

a21_p1011910_dt.jpg

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
My third and last record player: A Linn LP12 (bought new in 1994), with Linn Lingo power supply, Linn Ekos arm (both bought used in 1996) and a Van den Hul MC One Special pickup (bought used around 2000 and retipped once). Just playing a direct-to-disc recording I bought for €1 out of the trash bin at a local dealer about 2 years ago.

View attachment 159283
I have a copy of that Crystal Clear direct-cut LP too. Who knows, maybe the cover art was a nod to the Arthur Fiedler footbridge over Storrow Drive in Boston. https://gillisphotos.com/wp-content...oston-Esplanade-Arthur-Fiedler-Footbridge.jpg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Conclusion-turntables look way cooler than dacs. Ok, so they are orders of magnitude more expensive, grind down the software as they play it, each plays the medium slightly differently, adding significant but wholly variable quantities of distortion, take up far too much space and break easily. But they are cooler.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I like this little b&o TX2, which I acquired for the princely sum of $7 (USD) at a charity fleamarket one snowy (?!) Saturday morning in May, 2002. :)
-- oh, with the requisite broken cantilever on the non[user-replaceable] stylus on its "micro moving cross" (moving iron) MMC-4 cartridge. I invested $113 for probably one of the last b&o MMC-4s sold (at least at the Boston b&o store) :rolleyes:

TX-2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_9813 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

FWIW, I still have this little rascal, keeping it as a backup.

DSC_2913 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Man, there's nothing better than a Tec 12.

Top Bottom