• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An operation called DS Audio makes an add-on Disc Rotation Interociter that is supposed to allow manual adjustment in order to cure disc eccentricities. It cost more money than you'd expect to pay for a high performance Japanese motorcycle, and is one of those things that half way through the measuring process you'll likely begin to ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?"

But it's there if you need it. Frankly, I'd be looking for a refurbed Nak...

View attachment 216623
Could not read what it says in the "Differences from the Nakamichi Dragon CT". But, I agree that I'd rather get the refurb Nakamichi. I still find it stunning that the megabuck makers have not found a better solution than the 1983 Nak. Even though many records are drilled somewhat off-center, perhaps the LP playback gurus have determined that the problem is not really worth solving anymore.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could not read what it says in the "Differences from the Nakamichi Dragon CT".
Bad scan on my part:

The Nakamichi CT and ES-1 share a common ground in that they both detect the position variance of the end groove in order to detect the eccentricity of the record. The Dragon CT however uses a mechanical center search rod to detect this positional variance, and then automatically makes the adjustment whereas the ES-1 uses infrared LED to detect the variance, providing the user with the information required to then make manual adjustments to correct the eccentricity, The ES-1 allows users to make these improvements on most turntables, therefore making it infinitely more versatile than the Nakamichi design.

Whether it is 'infinitely' more versatile is something left for others to decide. However it adds up, the ES-1 design depends upon the ability of the user to physically move the disc within the factory punched out center hole. If there's not enough room to move (sorry about that, Mr. Mayall) the disc around the center hole, the company thoughtfully includes a chisel the record owner can use to enlarge the center hole.

Everyone will have an opinion, however I think there's a point where this sort of compulsive minutia becomes a diagnosable neurosis. Reaming out the center holes on your LPs has to approach the boundaries delimiting the borderline of mental health.

JP

Major Contributor
Reaming out the center holes on your LPs has to approach the boundaries delimiting the borderline of mental health.
Good thing I’ve a Nak.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad scan on my part:

The Nakamichi CT and ES-1 share a common ground in that they both detect the position variance of the end groove in order to detect the eccentricity of the record. The Dragon CT however uses a mechanical center search rod to detect this positional variance, and then automatically makes the adjustment whereas the ES-1 uses infrared LED to detect the variance, providing the user with the information required to then make manual adjustments to correct the eccentricity, The ES-1 allows users to make these improvements on most turntables, therefore making it infinitely more versatile than the Nakamichi design.

Whether it is 'infinitely' more versatile is something left for others to decide. However it adds up, the ES-1 design depends upon the ability of the user to physically move the disc within the factory punched out center hole. If there's not enough room to move (sorry about that, Mr. Mayall) the disc around the center hole, the company thoughtfully includes a chisel the record owner can use to enlarge the center hole.

Everyone will have an opinion, however I think there's a point where this sort of compulsive minutia becomes a diagnosable neurosis. Reaming out the center holes on your LPs has to approach the boundaries delimiting the borderline of mental health.
I agree. If you’re that pitch sensitive, go digital or fork out for the Nakamichi.

Newman

Major Contributor
Feel free to tell us about your youth's vinyl player. Take a trip down memory lane.

I grew up listening to records on my parents’ TV console in the 60s. It was rather similar to this:

1657203949560.jpeg

Mum and dad’s one had the grill cloth running from side to side along the bottom (in front of the legs in the photo), with a 6” full range on each end, with no back chamber. You could say it was open baffle, if you’re a glass-half-full type. I would lie on the floor with my head right in front of one speaker, and honestly it was so indistinct sounding when playing a record that it was more like woofle-woofle than anything. Not that I cared at that age. I would play their records like Mantovani, or Herb Albert’s Tijuana Brass. I grew up with zero money, so buying a record was out of the question. Eventually I was given a record for my birthday and listened to its cheap covers-band versions of singles like Tutti Frutti.

That’s how I got started. Cheers

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Feickert/Jelco/Grado
This is very nice. Is this your set up? I've been thinking about having a TT close to my couch so I can change records for years now, but I always knew this entails bringing the amp closer as well since the TT cable shouldn't be longer.

Jaxjax

This is very nice. Is this your set up? I've been thinking about having a TT close to my couch so I can change records for years now, but I always knew this entails bringing the amp closer as well since the TT cable shouldn't be longer.
Yes, my set up. I did it this way for ease of running the TT. I would probably not even play vinyl if I had to go as far as my speaker wall. I get no ill effects I can hear by doing this & I play loud at times.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Nice thread @DanielT I see here you mostly talk about the looks and the aesthetics of the design, so, even though I don't have it and probably never will for I don't mean to invest in more TTs and even if I did, I wouldn't give the asking price of this one, however, this is for me the most beautiful one:
8637bd6f4113b8e033c7da6d2bfe

It's the Luxman PD 444

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Nice thread @DanielT I see here you mostly talk about the looks and the aesthetics of the design, so, even though I don't have it and probably never will for I don't mean to invest in more TTs and even if I did, I wouldn't give the asking price of this one, however, this is for me the most beautiful one:
8637bd6f4113b8e033c7da6d2bfe

It's the Luxman PD 444
I am attracted by the aesthetics, the looks on record players. :)

The music quality, or rather the sound quality, is of secondary importance when using a record player. I think anyway .In that case, I can use a lossless streaming provider plus a DAC instead of a turntable.

These for example. However good these may be:

Gustard X18 Review Balanced Stereo USB DAC.jpg
Topping D10s DAC USB Audio Review.jpg
SMSL SU-6 Review Bluetooth USB Stereo DAC Bluetooth.jpg

...so let's say that something for the eyes to rest on they are not. ;)

Edit:
There are many old record players in this thread. Old and working.

Will the DACs above work in 40-50 years? My guess, I wouldn't believe that.

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...so let's say that something for the eyes to rest on they are not. ;)
Which is why my "Beautiful Amplifiers" thread is all about the physical design of some tube amplifiers. Most SS amplifier designs are black or silver slab faceplates and tops. Perhaps I should get an Empire 598 Mark III Troubadour turntable (I owned one in the 1980's) to go with my beautiful YarLand EL34/6CA7 vacuum tube amplifier!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Which is why my "Beautiful Amplifiers" thread is all about the physical design of some tube amplifiers. Most SS amplifier designs are black or silver slab faceplates and tops. Perhaps I should get an Empire 598 Mark III Troubadour turntable (I owned one in the 1980's) to go with my beautiful YarLand EL34/6CA7 vacuum tube amplifier!
Great thread you created!:D

Anyway, this is the beauty and fun of HiFi. There are different ways you can solve it and of course you do exactly what you want as long as you are happy and satisfied. You can combine new modern streaming with vinyl. Have two different systems and alternate between them. You can combine new and old in one system. A vintage receiver together with a record player (in on the phono input) plus streamed (in on AUX), you can ...and so on.:)

Perhaps I should get an Empire 598 Mark III Troubadour turntable. Go for it. Life is short, you only live once.:)

mvdleeden

My converted Garrard GT-25P, 1978.

IMG_7762.jpg

'Previously' a player from not the greatest era of Garrard, but given the simplicity of the technology (no pitch control, just auto-return), the quite satisfying tonearm and a new 'coat', it works really well for me.

In the photos it is combined with the Chinese Yaqin MS-12B phone stage, a combination that is just lovely.

I build this record player together with my daughter in 2020, she was 15 at that time. She wanted me to buy a record player (we didn't have one, nor ever had one) and I had been looking in to DYI for a while already. Having the desire to teach both my sons and my daughter the same things in their upbringing, I suggested to build one ourselves and teach her some skills of 'making things'. Challenge: accepted.

I had never done veneering, so we first had to learn that skill. After some samples and after building the wooden case (overcoming much more challenges than I would have ever expected), we 'put back together' the GT-25P. We have played records almost every day since then, and of course we shifted into a record hoarding addiction.

Some more photos:

IMG_7763.jpg
IMG_7764.jpg
IMG_7765.jpg
IMG_7769.jpg

But most of all, I've grown a passion for analogue things over the last10 years (roughly), my entire development seems to go against the current. The record player fitted in that development perfectly. As we speak I got hold of a reel to reel tape recorder, quite a challenge, but autumn is coming soon...

Martijn

Newman

Major Contributor
Very nice unit Martijn. And welcome to ASR!

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had one of these things before I gave up on the idea of vinyl records as a good way of reproducing music.

DSC_9149.JPG

Before that, my parents played 33s and 78s on one of these:

repairing_a_vintage_magnavox_tv_tx2.jpg

I don't remember that they permitted pizza slices to be placed atop the thing, though.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How did I fail to post the VPI Prime Signature before?

View attachment 221000

I was originally being seduced towards buying one of those. I just loved the look, especially the rosewood.

I ended up detouring because I happened upon a good deal for my current turntable (Transrotor Fat Bob S). The Fat Bob is a big, though nice looking slab of aluminum. I made up for not having a rosewood finish by sitting the turntable on a nicely finished butcher block which formed part of it's isolation stand. So I got some nice wood finish in the mix in the end.

Picture in this earlier post:

Top Bottom