• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Dave Zan

There have been a few Transcriptors pictures in this thread, but not the Skeleton.
I first saw the Transcriptor back in the early 1970's, first in the window of my city's upmarket hi-fi store then in Clockwork O.
It left a deep impression in my juvenile mind, just an incredible object, to actually own one was beyond my dreams.
As of today, I do...
It's kind of unbelievable, I know I can have better performance with a cheap CD player.
But this is functional art.
I think the first track will be David Byrne
"You may find yourself with a beautiful [turntable]
You may say to yourself, how did I work this?
And you may say to yourself....WHAT HAVE I DONE?"
Transcriptors-Skeleton-Turntable-OpenFrontRight_860x.jpg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Holy crap, that looks like a nightmare to keep free from dust and fingerprints o_O

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There have been a few Transcriptors pictures in this thread, but not the Skeleton.

Brings back memories. In the late '70s I bought a Skeleton from an defunct store (they are all pretty much defunct these days) called Sound Gallery in Winter Park, Fl. There were three arm options available: Transcriptors Vesitgal, Mayware Formula 4, and Grace 707. Instead of the Vestigal and/or Formula 4, both of which I considered too flaky, even for me, I had the dealer install the Grace.

The deck was quite impressive, visually. That much is certain.

However, after a few years the motor died. You have to remember that back then there was no Internet of things, and the company was in (I believe) Ireland. The story I heard was that they were out of business, as was the Sound Gallery. No local fix-it shop would touch it. So I was stuck with ten or twenty pounds of plate glass, chrome and black plastic.

One day I happened to be slumming in another dealer's shop, across the street (Absolute Sound, the local McIntosh franchisee--long gone, too), talking to the owner. I casually mentioned I had a glass record player sitting in a closet, out of service. He was familiar with it, expressed an interest, and we negotiated a trade. I transferred the deck to him for a new Denon 103D, which was my favorite cartridge at that time. I think the D retailed for around three hundred USD, or thereabouts. Not really sure from memory.

Dealer said he wasn't interested in fixing it (about that time digits were becoming a thing, and that is what people wanted). Instead, he placed it in his storefront window, simply as a curiosity for sidewalk traffic. Told me that passerbys who were otherwise not audiophiles would actually come into his store to inqure about the oddity.

Sometimes I see them on the auction sites going for silly money. One thing--the glass was much better visually than any plastic or Lucite, as it wouldn't yellow--or scratch.

Final factoid: the company also made a 'straight line tracking' table. Typical Transcriptors weirdness, the tonearm didn't move across the record... the platter moved across a fixed tonearm. Few would have ever had the intelligence or commerical business sense to try and get something like that to work! Which from what I understand, didn't. :facepalm:

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AdrianusG

Turntables are ok but Natto is not my cup of tea. ”Nattō has a distinctive strong smell reminiscent of a mixture of sharp cheese, ammonia and old socks.” Which I agee upon.
Natto, It's an acquired taste for sure, and i don't acquire it;)

Top Bottom