• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice Review of the Revel 328Be Speaker (Not mine)

Valentin R

No. I said that they do have an NFS system. But that every graph that you see with Klippel on it, does NOT indicate that option was used.
Agree
But having it makes it very easy to compare both systems

and the bass deviation should be known

no guessing is my point

Alpine M

Very nice! more unboxing and setup pics please. Also , what made you choose these over the Salon 2's?

Wayne,

I chose these over the Salons due to cosmetics. My wife didn't want the Salons. I trust that we are at a level of performance here that we have to next choose what best suits our life, as the compromise in sound is marginal at this point.

Yeah, the car looks nice for an old fashioned gasoline powered car.

Once that E-Tron GT hits the streets I may switch to an EV. Had a P90D that didn't do much for me other than a few quick bursts of obscene speed.

Nice! I also will be keen to hear your observations, especially if you also have experience with the F228Be. I wonder how much difference one would be able to perceive and enjoy in a typical mid sized family room setting(I do not have a dedicated audio or A/V room). This is becoming quite important, as nice used sets of F228Be are starting to show up at ~$7k now.

Edit: And I should also note that used sets of Magico A3 mentioned in the review are starting to show up at ~$8k.

I use these in a 16' x 18' x vaulted 16' ceiling area that opens to a kitchen, sub-optimal for speaker placement, for sure. In this space, I'm using a pair of SB3000 subwoofers <50Hz, only because I cannot get the bass tamed from the Revels with Audyssey on a Denon 4520CI. I simply turned off Audyssey and used the XO in the Denon and SVS DSP. I certainly do believe the 328Be's have the output to allow me to remove the subwoofers, once I get some better audio processing with the NAD M33. I'm not certain that would be the case with the F228Be's, but unless you are trying to compete with a dual subwoofer system, I'd suspect you could get away without subwoofers from either set of towers.

I have to say though, in a large room with tall ceilings, the proportions of the F328Be are just 'right' to my eyes. Along with the smooth front baffle (rear port), I believe the larger 328's have subtle but meaningful cosmetic improvements that have value to some buyers.

Where can I find those? And I’m hoping it comes soon very curious. Do you feel that the difference in price btw the 228 and 328 are worth the difference? I went to auditioned them today. They both sounded good. I felt they lacked bass a little. The vocals on the 328be and a little more meat to them. They both sounded somewhat lifeless tho? I’m coming from HDI1600. Maybe I just need to spend more time with them.

I have both HDI-3800 and the F328Be, so my reference here is slightly different but I feel that the Revel stands up very well to the liveliness of the HDI. In comparison to my now very old F30's, the Revels are young and fun. I think the 328s bring as much 'fun' bass to the party as the HDI's, especially on something like La Grange, they made my giggle that a reference-type loudspeaker was so engaging.

Stage/Space, my feeling is that the 328s are a good step above the already good HDI, they are simply invisible once placed and continuously impress me as I play new music. The HDI's don't project/present such a sense of space and depth that the Revels do ... but I have to admit I didn't give the HDI's as much time and placements as I have now with the 328s.

Fjc20

Wayne,

I chose these over the Salons due to cosmetics. My wife didn't want the Salons. I trust that we are at a level of performance here that we have to next choose what best suits our life, as the compromise in sound is marginal at this point.

Once that E-Tron GT hits the streets I may switch to an EV. Had a P90D that didn't do much for me other than a few quick bursts of obscene speed.

I use these in a 16' x 18' x vaulted 16' ceiling area that opens to a kitchen, sub-optimal for speaker placement, for sure. In this space, I'm using a pair of SB3000 subwoofers <50Hz, only because I cannot get the bass tamed from the Revels with Audyssey on a Denon 4520CI. I simply turned off Audyssey and used the XO in the Denon and SVS DSP. I certainly do believe the 328Be's have the output to allow me to remove the subwoofers, once I get some better audio processing with the NAD M33. I'm not certain that would be the case with the F228Be's, but unless you are trying to compete with a dual subwoofer system, I'd suspect you could get away without subwoofers from either set of towers.

I have to say though, in a large room with tall ceilings, the proportions of the F328Be are just 'right' to my eyes. Along with the smooth front baffle (rear port), I believe the larger 328's have subtle but meaningful cosmetic improvements that have value to some buyers.

I have both HDI-3800 and the F328Be, so my reference here is slightly different but I feel that the Revel stands up very well to the liveliness of the HDI. In comparison to my now very old F30's, the Revels are young and fun. I think the 328s bring as much 'fun' bass to the party as the HDI's, especially on something like La Grange, they made my giggle that a reference-type loudspeaker was so engaging.

Stage/Space, my feeling is that the 328s are a good step above the already good HDI, they are simply invisible once placed and continuously impress me as I play new music. The HDI's don't project/present such a sense of space and depth that the Revels do ... but I have to admit I didn't give the HDI's as much time and placements as I have now with the 328s.
Very nice. Thank you. Do you feel HDI 3800 come close to revel for the price 5000$ vs 16000$

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Alpine M what do you use for amplification with the 4520? (Assuming you’re using as a pre/pro type device instead of internal amplification)

Chris

Alpine M

@Alpine M what do you use for amplification with the 4520? (Assuming you’re using as a pre/pro type device instead of internal amplification)

Chris

For the comparison, I used a Crown DCI-8300N- a stout amp with power to spare. I could switch on and off speakers in Audio Architect, so all comparisons were known, biased and sighted. I sold that last week, so I'm using the Denon as the amp until the NAD M33 arrives.

I honestly heard no significant difference between the Crown, a Parasound A21 and this Denon now. Sources were Qobuz and Tidal via a Pi streamer and a Project DAC.

This system is my 2CH setup AND the family room TV setup, so a properly integrated HDMI ARC with a simple remote control is required, hence the AVR in the chain. I'm hopeful that the Dirac correction in the NAD will improve things further and perhaps allow me to remove a sub or two, while also getting rid of any streamers, dac's, etc.

nick-v

Very nice. Thank you. Do you feel HDI 3800 come close to revel for the price 5000$ vs 16000$
I would also be interested in the comparison with the HDI-3800. I'm loving my HDI-3800's, but I wonder how much of an improvement there would be with the big Be's. More bass extension with the 328's, and a more "holographic" sound stage?

Digi

Any review? I’m looking to pull trigger on revel f228be or f328be but wondering if it’s worth the extra cash.

Hello, Have you heard Revel's F228Be and F328Be speakers and could share your experiences. Are the F328Be worth the additional cost increase?

lovemusic

Digi,

First post here, I have the Revel F328be. Landed on them after auditioning a wide range of speakers (entire Revel range (including Salon2), Paradigm, Wilson, B&W, KEF, Sonus Fabre et al.). Felt they were the best speakers I had listen to (blew away speakers at over 2.5x the price).

Compared to the F228be, they were better. A lot better base response, much smoother across the listening frequency, better dynamics. Its like sitting on the side of a concert hall vs the dead center; the latter is better on all fronts. Now, is it worth the additional $6k? If you can I would highly recommend it. But then again F228be is a great choice as well.

On a different note, I wouldn't overlook F226be, I didn't notice much difference between the 228s and 226s and its $3k cheaper.

Top Bottom