• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice DSP solution for Linux

shuri

I've used Pulseeffects for parametric EQ for a while, but I wasn't happy with the perfomance of it and Pulseaudio overall.
You can find that Pulseeffects uses the Linux Studio Plugin suite for many of the features, including the patrametric EQ. I'm a big fan of their EQ, since you can set the filters use the same "Cookbook" equations as Equalizer APO, which are used by Room EQ Wizard and oratory1990's headphone presets.

Anyways, I nuked Pulseaudio from my Gentoo install, and installed JACK, QjackCtl and Carla. QjackCtl makes configuring JACK easy, and Carla is used to host the plugins. I had a good laugh when I started JACK from QjackCtl, and the sound just worked.

Carla is quite simple. I loaded a few 32-band parametric EQs to DSP my speakers, and a 16x one for my headphones. It has some nice VU meters, and switching between the EQ's is just a matter of powering off the plugins when you route them parallelly in the Patchbay later.
Screenshot_20191127_190017.png

The plugins have their own neat GUI's. (Don't mind my dumb DSP). You can't import the generic EQ profiles like in Equalizer APO, but it doesn't take too long to import the REW results by hand. I still use EQ APO on Windows while playing with REW.
Screenshot_20191127_190700.png

When the plugins in Carla are running, you use a virtual patchbay in QjackCtl to control the routing. Fairly straight forward too.
Screenshot_20191127_185544.png

I had to fight for a while to get the alsa-jack bridge to stay connected since it kept changing it's name. Trick is to use a wildcard for the name, i.e. "out_jackaudiosink-[0-90000]+_1".

tldr: pulseaudio sux, jack just werks.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I like to see these Linux tips. Some of my machines run Ubuntu 16, others 18. PulseEffects works fine for me, but it only works on 18, so I was considering upgrading the 16 to 18. If Jack, QJackCtl and Carla work on both, that would be nice.

decoRyder

I've used Pulseeffects for parametric EQ for a while, but I wasn't happy with the perfomance of it and Pulseaudio overall.
You can find that Pulseeffects uses the Linux Studio Plugin suite for many of the features, including the patrametric EQ. I'm a big fan of their EQ, since you can set the filters use the same "Cookbook" equations as Equalizer APO, which are used by Room EQ Wizard and oratory1990's headphone presets.

Very useful - thank you. Using Gentoo I imagine getting rid of Pulseaudio is as simple as setting a flag '-pulseaudio' and re-emerging dependent packages. What specifically bothered you about the performance of Pulseaudio?

Top Bottom