• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NHT C3 Review (3-way speaker)

Beave

Major Contributor
The Ascend woofer isn't 7". It's closer to 5 1/4".

The Ascend woofer measures about 6" from frame edge to frame edge and about 5" inside the frame.

For comparison, the NHT C 3 woofer measures about 7" from frame edge to frame edge and about 6" inside the frame.

MDINNO

Come on, you get superior measurements for free here so suggest use them if you believe in science and then simply jump over the subjective part of the review would actual be a easy way to be here, that said its hard to figure out if you posted here for nothing other reason than a ASR provocation.

Respect your personal acoustic opinion of the illusion comparing Ascend Sierra 2 verse NHT C3, that said if you really understand graphs there is one curve called DI (Directivity Index) that should tell you Ascend Sierra 2 and NHT C3 miss quallity in they both perform a jagged DI curve, so for me it looks that when you tell Ascend Sierra 2 is the best book shelves you ever heard and it reproduce realistic high hat sounds its nothing than a illusive coincidence because of acoustic design flaws/compromise for those two speaker systems clearly tracked/proven reading their DI curves.

Below is few constructive comments comparing objective graphs for NHT C3 verse Ascend Sierra 2 side by side:

Bandwidth corners is wider for NHT C3 than Ascend Sierra 2 and they both perform none smooth jagged curves be it the important DI curve or whatever other curves printed in the Spinorama plot.
View attachment 147909

In Ascend Sierra 2 sounded so wonderfull to your ears you could try bandwidth limit NHT C3 using below 4x PEQ's and see if especially low end will improve and suit much better to the local room enviroment.
View attachment 147920

Having a none smooth DI curve means there is design flaws/compromises going on, clear seen below where both NHT C3 (left column) and Ascend Sierra 2 (right column) have their curves EQ smoothed, whenever one try smooth the Listening window curve (best for nearfield listening) then the jagginesh from DI curve will be a replicated mirror in PIR and Power response curves, or whenever one try smooth the Power response curve (best for farfield listening) then the jagginesh from DI curve will be replicated in the Listening window curve.
View attachment 147921

Below two ones show much better or smoother DI curves than above two ones, they picked special out because they have nearly same bandwidth's as above two ones :)..
View attachment 147922

I already heard the Sierra speakers and was very impressed especially with how low and how big they actually sound. They fool you into thinking they were towers. That's how big they sound. Very impressive. If I can just get my hands on the C3 and hear them I'd be able to decide which one I like better out of the two. From what I hear from reviewers the C3 are very neutral and detailed sounding. I wish I could hear the Sierra 1 as they are more cost effective and equal to the C3.

txbdan

My C3s are for sale if anyone's interested. I'm in the Boston area. I wish I had more room for speakers, but in my office, the Genelecs are a better solution.

Davide

But aren't these speakers supposed to be acoustic suspension (as NHT tradition)?
I doubt because when I disassembled the drivers of mine I saw that there are no gaskets or sealing systems in the various driver panels or rear connectors... Therefore leakage should prevent proper operation in air suspension ...

jbattman1016

I wonder if this speaker would still be considered a recommendation based on it's current price? I believe it's now 549 each.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this speaker would still be considered a recommendation based on it's current price? I believe it's now 549 each.
I didn't think it was worth it when even came out at it's lower price, due to lack of bass for one thing, but now at an increased price then even less so. (if that is indeed the now universal price for these)

Shike

I'd say it entirely depends on your needs. It's the most affordable 3-way bookshelf with really good directivity. Pair it with a good sub and DSP and it will likely perform fine in small to medium rooms. On the other had you can get Revel's for a similar price (M16) which perform better generally or move to floorstanders like the Focal Chora 816 for the same price that take EQ well.

SMc

The website says they're sold out at the moment. I like mine but I paid less than $350 each. At full price, they compete with the Revels, etc. I wonder about the C LCR as there aren't too many three-way centers available.

JLGF1

Yes, I often compare the category of $1500/pair (Ascend Sierra) to $4500-6000/pair (Genelec 8341A). :rolleyes:

Ascend Sierra-LX vs Genelec 8341A.jpg

As to the other comparable:

Ascend Sierra-2 vs KEF LS50.jpg

badspeakerdesigner

Best reviewers of speakers are musicians and people who just have an ear for what to listen for. They can tell you how realistic the high hat sounds. How realistic the cymbals sound. The soundstage and imaging. Whether if a speaker needs to be toed in or out. No graphs or numbers will ever be able to tell you that. I come here for entertainment purposes because I just like to laugh at the reviews and comments. The best speakers in the industry are shot down here. It's a joke.

I work with a lot of musicians and most of them don't know shit about how anything works.

I don't know why people like this come here.

Top Bottom