• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Next speaker/amp upgrade advice

pirxel

Hey everyone, since you guys have been so helpful thus far I wanted to share with you guys my current wondering of what to upgrade next on my sound system, which, I must say, I started building not too long ago.

I almost wrote a small book, so here is a TLDR :p

TLDR - currently have KEF Q100 speakers fed by smsl SA-98E amp, I want to upgrade both, where to start and what to get? (tentative budget limits: below 800 usd/eur for the amp and double that for the speakers?) - EU options preferred as I live in Poland.

Let me preface this by mentioning I live in a small flat with thin walls, my wife and a flatmate, so though I'm aiming at upgrading the speaker system, my main use case here is with headphones. Still, I did a few upgrades with the headphones recently so I'll enjoy that a few months before considering an upgrade. But so you know it's mainly my pc and tidal hifi - smsl m500 - loxjie p20 (balanced ins and outs, upgraded soviet tubes, better power supply) - and mostly my audioquest nightowls but sometimes my sennheiser hd6XX.

From my choice of headphones you should be able to guess I'll all for a more laid back sound generally speaking.

As for sources, I also use a Pioneer DV-525 as CD player fed via optical to the m500 and an old Onkyo tape deck (TA-2820), both bought for pennies really, but the pc is still my main source. I listen to everything but mostly prog rock, alternative, some electronic and somehow weird pop. I'd say Ghost is my band of the year for 2020. I register everything for years in lastfm, so here is my profile if that would be relevant: https://www.last.fm/user/angelusignarus

Now, when I can I love to enjoy music on speakers. Both sit on my desk on some yoga blocks to get that tweeter at ear height, on my desk (I have no space for towers, unfortunately - I need them to be good a near-field listening). These are the KEF Q100 which got great reviews and a price I could afford a while back and the affordable but powerful smsl SA-98E amp drives them nicely, but I have some problems with this amp.

Here is a picture of the whole thing:
IMG_20200530_181611.jpg

One of the main reasons I got the KEF Q100 was also that they were front ported. As you can see my desk is right up to the wall and the right speaker is right against a corner of the room. I know that is terrible placing but I really can't move that desk, so not much I can do here other than picking speakers that would play nicely in that setup. I sit in the corner of a medium size room (our shared living room that is).

I like this system, but I really just feel the speakers actually truly singing when the volume is quite loud, which I love, but can only do in short bursts or when the girls leave (which during quarantine is never). The volume pot of the smsl is mega annoying, the channel imbalance is very strong at a low volume which is terrible, and it gets better as I raise the volume. I tried going around this by maxing the volume on the amp and and using the dac as a preamp since it can do that, but it's a bit annoying since I like to change the volume on the loxjie and I feel that, when using headphones, if I max the headphone amp and regulate the volume on the dac I get way less detail at lower volumes, like the signal is not as clear if the dac isn't maxed. Anyway, that is not the problem I'm here to discuss, but let's just say when i use the speakers I'm having to mess with two nobs (lowering a bit the dac and very delicately trying to find a good volume on the amp, then maxing out the dac again when going back to the headphones.

Again, I like the speakers itself, but I still get pretty jelly when I see some reviews about some gorgeous speakers (I must say I'm a sucker for KEF design), so I always had wet dreams about the LS50 or recently saw some reviews for the KEF R300, but otherwise know very little and tried very few speakers, so a recommendation of a decent definitely noticeable upgrade would be helpful. In terms of budget I still find it hard to wrap my head around spending more than 2000 euros or dollars on a speaker, but if the argument would be strong enough I could consider, still, I'd really stay below that for this next step, since even saving that money will take me a while (got no money burning any hole in any pocket).

As for the amp, well, this amp carried me for a while, but I'm really getting tired of it. The sound is ok and neutral, but a bit too sterile for me. The main issue tho is what I said about the volume pot. I also fell I can't be happy in listening to the system at low volumes while being happy with the amount of detail I get - Now here I'm not sure if the problem is the amp or the speakers, but I strongly suspect the former.

The amp I've been dating over the internet for a while now are these: https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-a2-300
Prince seems good enough for me, great reviews, i dig the aesthetics and wanted to try a pure power amp - I'd use the dac as a pre, which I'm hoping will work for the speakers.

With all that said, first, the important question: which do you think I should upgrade first? Note that a cheaper component can be acquired with less time saving, so the cheaper component(I'd suspect the amp) would have a strong advantage in the order.

Second, what you think I should get, looking forward for recommendations for a nice pair of bookshelves that would be, as I said before, a noticeable improvement over the KEF Q100. Ah, I also want it in black or other dark color to match my desk general colors.

And third, in my list of upgrades I also wanted to add a sub, eventually, to which I for now picked these Jamos https://www.jamo.com/products/sub210
because I like the looks, and they'd fit nicely, hopefully under my desk. I like low end, but I picked a small sub because as I said, I have little space to work with here and the neighbors/flatmates issue I described earlier kinda puts this as a defined third in my upgrade order. Or who knows, if I got a speaker that could handle low end well enough for me I'd be willing to give up the sub idea.

If you read all of this, thanks a lot, this went for longer than I imagined. Any input will be highly appreciated. If I forgot to mention anything important, let me know

Last edited:

Peib

For speakers, consider buying Dali Oberon 1 or 3. For amp i dont know, i want to buy a new one too. The yamaha s301 or 501 seems to be good

OP
pirxel

pirxel

For speakers, consider buying Dali Oberon 1 or 3. For amp i dont know, i want to buy a new one too. The yamaha s301 or 501 seems to be good
Cool, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't really knew these Dali speakers, you do think they be significantly better than the kef Q100? The Oberon 1 seems very similarly priced to the kefs. I know it's not much, but I'd assume the Oberon 3s would be a better candidate

They look nice, but they are back-ported, which i know is common but it is bad for me as they need to stand close to the wall here, no way around it.

The yamaha amp looks cool and I've considered it before, but it's just so freaking huge so i couldn't put it on my desk, I could maybe put it on the floor close to the computer, but I wonder what that will do to my leg room :p

Last edited:
OP
pirxel

pirxel

Ok, gave up on the Oberon 3 because I just saw some people saying they are treble aggressive while I really prefer a more laid back sound, even the kefs sound a bit too sharp, I probably should look for something more relaxed.

Archsam

Hmm. Laid back, non aggressive sound, nearfield listening, good sound with low SPL, no ports to affect placement.

How about Harbeth P3esr?

(I'll take cover while the rocks starts flying.... let's just say Harbeth speakers are divisive on ASR)

OP
pirxel

pirxel

I do dig the look, I always wondered about the harbeths.
I did the look, like a lot. They just seem a bit hard to find, but I found a dealer here that sells them for 8,9k PLN (about 2k euros or 2.3k usd).
Watching Zero Fidelity gushing all over it, definitely added to my shortlist, thanks a lot!

Hephaestus

I would look for the speakers in the price range with high resolution measurements available and then check out the most interesting ones.

Piece of advice: I have once purchased loudspeakers based on subjective reviews and they turned out to be total crap.

Look for:
Flattish on-axis performance
Smooth off-axis performance
Low distortion

Figure out do you like wider or narrower dispersion
And bonus tip: Visually pleasant speakers will have an effect on the end result as well. (Finnish legendary speaker designer Jorma Salmi´s wisdom)

Peib

Cool, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't really knew these Dali speakers, you do think they be significantly better than the kef Q100? The Oberon 1 seems very similarly priced to the kefs. I know it's not much, but I'd assume the Oberon 3s would be a better candidate

They look nice, but they are back-ported, which i know is common but it is bad for me as they need to stand close to the wall here, no way around it.

The yamaha amp looks cool and I've considered it before, but it's just so freaking huge so i couldn't put it on my desk, I could maybe put it on the floor close to the computer, but I wonder what that will do to my leg room :p
the problem with oberon 3s is the size i think, if u will use them in ur desktop.
But i dont know really about acoustics so dont take my advices hahaha

OP
pirxel

pirxel

hehe sure, no worries, thanks anyway for the suggestions.
So far my idea is going first with the amp anyway, this one to be exact:
https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-a2-300

The Yamaha looks great, but lots of features I wouldn't use, while this xtz only has what I need.

As for the speakers I'm still between the KEF LS 50 or maybe the Harbeth P3ESR

Archsam

Actually, now that I think about it, if you have a desktop setup as per your photo, what makes the most sense might be an active monitor setup?

You don't need to play loud since your listening position is so close, something like the Genelec 8020 might be enough. That will let you skip a separate amp altogether and the money can instead go to a good DAC with preamp function?

There are far too many choices for nearfield active monitors in your price range, suggest doing a search on ASR as tphere are tons of discussion on this subject.

OP
pirxel

pirxel

Actually, now that I think about it, if you have a desktop setup as per your photo, what makes the most sense might be an active monitor setup?

You don't need to play loud since your listening position is so close, something like the Genelec 8020 might be enough. That will let you skip a separate amp altogether and the money can instead go to a good DAC with preamp function?

There are far too many choices for nearfield active monitors in your price range, suggest doing a search on ASR as tphere are tons of discussion on this subject.
Thanks, that make sense. I was already considering some active pair as well. I actually already have the smsl m500 which has the preamp function already, so I'd be ready to go - I've been considering the LS50 wireless or LSX because of that.
I heard the genelec sound great but they look terrible to me unfortunately - I live with two girls I need both to appove whatever speakers I get, so I'd need a pair with "high wife acceptance factor" :p

EDIT, you know what, you are absolutely right. I think I'll check the active pairs more carefully, this may indeed be a better solution for me. I think ELAC did a very attractive pair that should sound great too. My favorite candidate at the moment are the Kanto TUKs:
https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/tuk/

Last edited:

Archsam

There are so many nice choices for pro active monitors - for a more 'conventional' looking monitor I can think of:

Focal Solo 6 Be
Dynaudio Lyd-8 Active
PMC Result 6,
Neumann KH 80 DSP
ADAM S2V

In the domestic market, besides the KEF LS50 I can think of:

Elac NAVIS ARB-51
Dynaudio Xeo 20 active

I'm sure there are more.

OP
pirxel

pirxel

Checking the Adams, getting German speakers here is pretty easy, but damn these ADAM S2V are expensive. For pure studio monitors, no extra features, that is an insane price for me - note all I need are monitors as I have the dac with pre-amp, but still.

Anyway, checking the Adam T5V and these have a VERY attractive price, not to mention they look decent too. But they are so cheap here, that they end up having the same price as my KEF Q100, which is suspicious since active ones should be more expensive due to the amp inside, right? That is, I'm not sure this upgrade would be significant enough.

But with these and the TUKs, the kef LSX are looking mighty expensive too (not to mention the ls50W, which now I'm suspecting will be too big sounding for my desk).

I'd really rather have a pair with no dac included, since IN ANY WAY I plan to use my external one, seems like a waste to have one in the speaker.

OP
pirxel

pirxel

You know what's funny man, I've been all this time thinking, researching and discussing the topic and in the end I will go with your recommendation (the first one I got) and get a yamaha amp, problem is, I'm not sure if I should get the 301 or the 501 :p
I know more power is better generally, but as I listen at lower volumes I wonder if there will be any difference at moderate volume. My heart wants the 501 but my mind is really questioning if I really should get it if the 301 will be all I need...

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tannoy Gold 5 - 27.8 x 20.6 x 31 inches??
front firing port
room boundary effects control switch

Vanatoo - Transparent One Encore powered bookshelf, cherry $600/pair

KEF Q350

Audioengine

OP
pirxel

pirxel

Got the amp! Very happy, the KEFs are sounding considerably better now, so I'll enjoy them a bit longer, but I'll come back here later when i'll be ready to move on, thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_170947.jpg
    IMG_20200701_170947.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 178
Top Bottom