• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

News You Can't Use

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
https://gizmodo.com/the-new-longest-pi-beats-previous-record-by-12-8-trilli-1847503360

On Monday, a team of Swiss data scientists announced that their supercomputer calculated the mathematical constant pi to a new length of 62.8 trillion digits, extending the constant beyond its previously calculated end by some 12.8 trillion digits. And to think I never even memorized 3.141592653.

According to a statement from the University of Applied Sciences of GraubUnden in Switzerland, the research team knew over the weekend that they had achieved the most exact-yet summation of the constant, which describes the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter.

Pi has numerous applications, including in construction and space flight, but as David Harvey, a mathematician at the University of New South Wales in Australia, told The Guardian, “I can’t imagine any real-life physical application where you would need any more than 15 decimal places.” Other computer scientists have said that 39 digits should do, because that specificity gives you the circumference of the observable universe to within the diameter of a single atom.

---

My question, if 39 digits gives atom vs universe precision, is how they perform the calculation with any clue to its accuracy?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
https://gizmodo.com/the-new-longest-pi-beats-previous-record-by-12-8-trilli-1847503360

On Monday, a team of Swiss data scientists announced that their supercomputer calculated the mathematical constant pi to a new length of 62.8 trillion digits, extending the constant beyond its previously calculated end by some 12.8 trillion digits. And to think I never even memorized 3.141592653.

According to a statement from the University of Applied Sciences of GraubUnden in Switzerland, the research team knew over the weekend that they had achieved the most exact-yet summation of the constant, which describes the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter.

Pi has numerous applications, including in construction and space flight, but as David Harvey, a mathematician at the University of New South Wales in Australia, told The Guardian, “I can’t imagine any real-life physical application where you would need any more than 15 decimal places.” Other computer scientists have said that 39 digits should do, because that specificity gives you the circumference of the observable universe to within the diameter of a single atom.

---

My question, if 39 digits gives atom vs universe precision, is how they perform the calculation with any clue to its accuracy?
And... and... is that hydrogen (protium) or one of those big-boy atoms?

EDIT: and, in terms of accuracy... I mean... is the universe indeed round?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And... and... is that hydrogen (protium) or one of those big-boy atoms?

EDIT: and, in terms of accuracy... I mean... is the universe indeed round?
I thought it was one of these three shapes depending upon the cosmological constant's actual value. With most leaning toward it being flat.

1629248276709.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Current model of the cosmos assumes it is flat. Yet it could be round. If it is round, it means if you keep looking back farther and farther, you eventually arrive at where you are! Naturally this screws up many assumptions we make about the nature of universe.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Current model of the cosmos assumes it is flat. Yet it could be round. If it is round, it means if you keep looking back farther and farther, you eventually arrive at where you are! Naturally this screws up many assumptions we make about the nature of universe.
Don't make me have to smoke marijuana!

:cool:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Simple mathematical abstraction , anyone can compute 1/9 to infinite digits. :p

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But it was useful in those planet of the ape movies.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom