• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

pfgiv

I appreciate @Mistar Muffin for sending me an email and bringing this to my attention!

We are investigating and will resolve it.
Glad to hear you guys are working on this @MonolithGuy

While you're here, do you have any information on these amps with less channels? Wondering if they may offer 4 channel 502MP's, or 3 channel with 500MP's.

Thanks

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's a good hypothesis, but the fact remains I don't represent any particular company on the forum because that gets very messy, very fast. Its not much fun either. ;)
Audio forums (at least*) all seem to have a baked-in proclivity to get extra nasty to folks who do this stuff for a living. I saw it happen to the late James Bongiorno @ FMTunerinfo and to Ken Kantor at audiokarma, to name just a few. Bongo & Ken Kantor have/had (based on their on-line appearances at the aforementioned forums) very different personalities, but both were picked on, second-guessed, and hounded for their 'beliefs' in utterly analogous manners.

This is my long-winded way of saying I don't blame you one bit for your attempt at/focus on being very circumspect! :)

PJ 1

Thank you for providing your credentials. If you read the last few pages I think you will see what I'm talking about.
YW. Now days, we just auto-tune everything. Protools allows me to fix EVERY. SINGLE. MISTAKE. to "perfection". I can quantize "imperfect" music like The Who, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Police etc... :D :rolleyes: Except ground loops. Can make Spice Girls stars but can't get a guitar player with a '65 Fender Princeton Reverb to stop humming. And forget about the lead singer tapping his foot on the mic stand of a Neumann U87.... But I highjacked the thread...

CCP1099

I just received the 8250 on Tuesday I have it all hooked up and now I have the hum. I’ve narrowed it down to my cable TV coax when I unplug that the hum goes away. Even if the Xfinity TV box is unplugged with no power as soon as I connect the coax the hum comes back? When I unplug the monolith 8250 and only use my parasound amp I get no Hum. Anybody have any thoughts here? Is there a way to isolate my TV cable box from the rest of the system or the monolith 8250?

connected through monoprice xlr
thanks

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just received the 8250 on Tuesday I have it all hooked up and now I have the hum. I’ve narrowed it down to my cable TV coax when I unplug that the hum goes away. Even if the Xfinity TV box is unplugged with no power as soon as I connect the coax the hum comes back? When I unplug the monolith 8250 and only use my parasound amp I get no Hum. Anybody have any thoughts here? Is there a way to isolate my TV cable box from the rest of the system or the monolith 8250?

connected through monoprice xlr
thanks

Try grounding the chassis together. Just use a cable bare on both ends and remove a screw from each case and touch cable to where the screw was.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
If you don't want to mess around to much just get a Jensen iso transformer. It's like 75 bucks but it will work and won't effect your internet. Most other solutions are a crap shoot.

MonolithGuy

Audio Company
We found the issue.

The M8125/M8250 was designed to be driven by a balanced input signal, and no provision was made for an unbalanced input. Certain cables and adapters used to connect between unbalanced (RCA) sources and the M8125/M8250 can result in a low level buzz in even numbered channels. We have devised a hardware fix with will eliminate the problem which can be retrofitted to units in the field using only a Phillips head screwdriver. We anticipate the fix to be available in the coming weeks.

If you are not using an XLR to RCA adapter, there should not be a noise issue and the product performs as it should.

pfgiv

We found the issue.

The M8125/M8250 was designed to be driven by a balanced input signal, and no provision was made for an unbalanced input. Certain cables and adapters used to connect between unbalanced (RCA) sources and the M8125/M8250 can result in a low level buzz in even numbered channels. We have devised a hardware fix with will eliminate the problem which can be retrofitted to units in the field using only a Phillips head screwdriver. We anticipate the fix to be available in the coming weeks.

If you are not using an XLR to RCA adapter, there should not be a noise issue and the product performs as it should.
Thanks for the update, and any info on the lower channel units, ie 3 or 4 channel?

Mistar Muffin

We found the issue.

This is great news. Since my initial contact with @MonolithGuy I have received a second RMA replacement, my third overall unit. It had the same issue with the even-numbered channels. I didn't even bother to confirm it here as it felt entirely expected. I had a few days of decision anxiety centered around whether to return the unit before the return period expired. In the end, I decided to trust in Hobie and Monoprice. I'm very relieved this faith is being rewarded.

Beyond that it's nice to know that I wasn't entirely crazy or just flat-out doing something wrong with my amp. The measurements by @GXAlan helped validate the issue and allowed me to hand hard data over to @MonolithGuy and for that I am very appreciative.

pfgiv

We dont carry a 3 channel class D amplifier. This only affects the Class-D amps, not the traditional Class AB amplifiers.
Guess with the lack of replies to my inquiry, there has been no plans set in motion for the lower channel amps.

Ended up purchasing other amps, but very happy with the 8250

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MonolithGuy
Just wanted to share that it is really great that Monoprice interfaces with end-users like this. It would be great to do a "ask me anything" type of interview. Monoprice started as a Belkin competitor, so it's sort of amazing that they entered the hi-fi world and have delivered some incredible performance at incredible prices. It'd be great to hear the story behind this -- was it just a pet hobby of the CEO?

1) How much of the R&D happens in-house versus subcontracted to partners? Given the deep resources of Harman and Samsung in the southern California area, it would be impressive to get access to JBL Professional transducers and to build something like a Monoprice version of the JBL M2 or JBL SCL-1. My understanding is that a lot of people with JBL Synthesis custom home theaters end up going with ATI amplification anyways, and Harman has done collaborations with Massdrop so I imagine there is an opportunity to partner w/Monolith. You could even do a Kali Audio x Monolith, or convince Greg Timbers to come out of retirement to build a signature Monolith speaker.

pfgiv

No, nothing set in motion on the lower channel amplifiers....yet.
Kinda frustrating because it’s just an amp with less channels. There’s not much to do except get cases without some of the holes drilled, or go with a smaller case.

For me, the “yet” was too late. Purchased 2 Apollon PNC1200 monoblocks today, better for my future speaker plans anyways.:rolleyes:

MonolithGuy

Audio Company
Just wanted to share that it is really great that Monoprice interfaces with end-users like this. It would be great to do a "ask me anything" type of interview. Monoprice started as a Belkin competitor, so it's sort of amazing that they entered the hi-fi world and have delivered some incredible performance at incredible prices. It'd be great to hear the story behind this -- was it just a pet hobby of the CEO?

1) How much of the R&D happens in-house versus subcontracted to partners? Given the deep resources of Harman and Samsung in the southern California area, it would be impressive to get access to JBL Professional transducers and to build something like a Monoprice version of the JBL M2 or JBL SCL-1. My understanding is that a lot of people with JBL Synthesis custom home theaters end up going with ATI amplification anyways, and Harman has done collaborations with Massdrop so I imagine there is an opportunity to partner w/Monolith. You could even do a Kali Audio x Monolith, or convince Greg Timbers to come out of retirement to build a signature Monolith speaker.

Thanks @GXAlan!

I would love to do an "ask me anything" interview. I'd be totally open to it.

Monolith came about because high end audio was a hobby of mine. I came up with the name Monolith, developed all the manufacturing/engineering relationships, I write all the content, designed the logo, and most importantly, I determine all the product performance parameters, assortment, look, and pricing for all the products. I'm an enthusiast like everyone else on here, and every product I put out under Monolith has to be able to answer this question: "Would I buy this for this price?".

If you know anyone at Harman/Samsung that wants to collaborate with Monolith, send them my way!

Hobie

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @GXAlan!

Monolith came about because high end audio was a hobby of mine. I came up with the name Monolith, developed all the manufacturing/engineering relationships, I write all the content, designed the logo, and most importantly, I determine all the product performance parameters, assortment, look, and pricing for all the products. I'm an enthusiast like everyone else on here, and every product I put out under Monolith has to be able to answer this question: "Would I buy this for this price?".

If you know anyone at Harman/Samsung that wants to collaborate with Monolith, send them my way!

Hobie
I'll say one thing-you guys know how to make a great sub. Keep up the good work!

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks @GXAlan!

Hobie
This is off-topic to this thread, but since you're here - I bought a pair of Monolith noise-cancelling blutooth earbuds last year and used them pretty much every day. They broke a month ago - one of the buds came apart into two pieces when I removed it from the charging case. Snapped them back together but it was dead working.

Warranty folks at Monoprice were really easy to deal with and sent me a fedex code for return package. Even though I'm in Canada I got a new set of buds in about two weeks, and the new ones work great. Very good sound quality for the price. My only issue with them is that the left channel occasionally drops out, and I have to "reset" the bud by putting it back in the charging case and taking it out again. A minor annoyance and doesn't prevent me from recommending them to others. Keep up the good work!

TheAVInsider

Thanks @GXAlan!

Hobie
Thank you so much for your very generous offer. I just got some exciting news tonight. Can't wait to see you. This certainly deserves it's own thread. Hope this is an acceptable starter for everyone.

Top Bottom