• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do Buckeye amps have heat sinks?
The 8 channel is going to have similar to monoprice's offering it sounds like.

The other lower channel counts use the cases as heat sinks.

IBJamon

The 8 channel is going to have similar to monoprice's offering it sounds like.

The other lower channel counts use the cases as heat sinks.
Good to know! Definitely makes the choice more difficult. Good stuff regardless. :)

tjcinnamon

Aside from the convenience factor of having a single brick handling 8 channels, I'm having a hard time justifying the 8-channel Monolith over 4 separate NC252MP stereo units even with the 5 year Monoprice warranty. Given the recent strength of the US dollar, ordering four units of the Audiophonics MPA-250NC is attractive and far more versatile (mix and match or move around to other parts of the house).... or choosing the Buckeye version with the additional auto on-off features. I'm running the Audiophonics unit right now. My speakers are dead silent. There is no pop on starting/powerup. My ears are happy hearing silent class D amps.
Same thing with the Nord 8 channel. $1704 USD for an 8 channel with US/CAD support add-on. RCA and XLR

tjcinnamon

I wonder how tall the monoprice is if I took the feet off?

My AVR only does RCA. Would I lose dB going from using an RCA to XLR cable?

amper42

Major Contributor
Aside from the convenience factor of having a single brick handling 8 channels, I'm having a hard time justifying the 8-channel Monolith over 4 separate NC252MP stereo units even with the 5 year Monoprice warranty. Given the recent strength of the US dollar, ordering four units of the Audiophonics MPA-250NC is attractive and far more versatile (mix and match or move around to other parts of the house).... or choosing the Buckeye version with the additional auto on-off features. I'm running the Audiophonics unit right now. My speakers are dead silent. There is no pop on starting/powerup. My ears are happy hearing silent class D amps.

I agree. I purchased four NC502MP stereo amps as I wanted the flexibility to turn off channels when using stereo instead of 7.2.4. Or be able to continue using amps if one had a failure. Plus, it's easier to sell a stereo amp versus an 8 channel. Lots more options.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
use by 110v ~ 220v voltage ?
If you're asking if the amplifier will run on all AC voltages, yes it will since it has a switch mode power supply for each two channels.

OLED

If you're asking if the amplifier will run on all AC voltages, yes it will since it has a switch mode power supply for each two channels.
Yes, I know that the Hypex NC502MP itself is a Universal voltage, but I don't know if the monoprice will lock M8250x it at 110v only for some reason ?!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yes, I know that the Hypex NC502MP itself is a Universal voltage, but I don't know if the monoprice will lock M8250x it at 110v only for some reason ?!
No the amp will work with any voltage the boards will work at.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thanks. sound nice.

But a power amp like this, monoprice tells me it's works at 110v only
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593
That is correct; the link is a class A/B amplifier with a standard linear power supply. The transformer is strapped to work for 120V. I don't know about this amplifier specifically, but usually linear supplies are capable of 240V operation with re-strapping the primary windings on the power transformer.

hdkeith

I wish someone would put the M8250NC on a test bench and see how it does compared to the ATI AT527NC. I was looking at Monolith 7X and Emotiva 7X, but have been leaning Class D to avoid heat and equally weight. I wound up on the ATI AT527NC, but the price is a bit intimidating. The Monoprice M8250X seems like a great contender, but curious how it holds up since they departed from the tried and true ATI linear power to a full SMPS.

hdkeith

That is 8 channels of 502mp that have been upgraded for $3000.
Comparing that to Buckeyes offerings, he would have to get a new custom case to fit 4 502mps for 8 channels and would probably be in the $2100-$2200 price.

Considering monoprice upgraded the heatsinks on these, have a more refined case (with other things to get this to work properly) AND give you a 5 year warranty, the $800 isn't too bad of a price for all of that.

I originally thought the 8x200w amp was going to use 252mp's but it appears from all of their measurements (and saying 502mp on the product page), it uses 502mp's, that makes it a pretty good deal in reality.

As I try and decide on amp I was curious what they rate the amp at 8x200w when the NC502MP is rated at 350w/ch. Are they being conservative, will the amp truly deliver more than 200w/ch if needed? It truly does like a great deal with 5 year warranty.

hdkeith

Curious is there are any owners of the M8250X out there that want ot comment? I was looking at the standard Monolith 9X and curious on owner reviews. I looked at the Nord which is decent, but Monoprice adds heat sinks so while it is about $700 more for a similar config the beefy heat dinks and 5 year warranty may be worth it.

Espiritiv

How would you compare the 8 ch Buckeye to this Monoprice. Same Hypex cores, less warranty. What features are different? Plus they had 15% off Monoprice this last month brining it down to $1699 which was nice.

pfgiv

How would you compare the 8 ch Buckeye to this Monoprice. Same Hypex cores, less warranty. What features are different? Plus they had 15% off Monoprice this last month brining it down to $1699 which was nice.

Seems like no one here has purchased one. The 15% off didn’t apply to the amps. They had (have?) 10% off of these amps though.

In the same price range, im looking at the nord multi channel. I have 11 channels to amplify and want to do 1ET400. Nord offers both amps I want (8 channel hypex and 3 channel purifi) so I’ll likely go with nord, unless we get some reviews on these.

hdkeith

While I do. Or own one, I was close to ordering the Monoprice M8250X, they recently had $300 off and offer free shipping on it. My guess is they are not selling as well as they thought. Their price point is a bit higher than what you can find from Internet Direct sellers, but what I will say is the Monoprice has a heat since on each module where most of the other direct brands just mount the module to the chassis and use the chassis as the heat sink. If I recall in reading the Hypex docs they suggest a heat sink, but do not require it. I needed 9 channels and if I went Class D would have needed a separate 2 channel amp for my heights. Another point made here is the Monoprice has a 5 year warranty. I have yet to see a pic of the inside of the Monoproce, but I expect it to be similar to the other Class D amps on the market, wall power routed to each module, nothing fancy other than the heat sink. Thank means it should perform identical to the other MP502 module based amps.

Espiritiv

Seems like no one here has purchased one. The 15% off didn’t apply to the amps. They had (have?) 10% off of these amps though.

In the same price range, im looking at the nord multi channel. I have 11 channels to amplify and want to do 1ET400. Nord offers both amps I want (8 channel hypex and 3 channel purifi) so I’ll likely go with nord, unless we get some reviews on these.
Im going same config. 1ET400 for LCR and Hypex 8 ch for rest. Just narrowing it down to who to buy from based on warranty, specs, and price

Top Bottom