• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

News From Nikon (July 2020)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/31/...dslr-sales-still-higher-than-mirrorless.aspx/

This is a few months old, but if you did not see it, it's worth reading.

Most interesting tidbit:

How long will Nikon continue to support the F-mount? The response: F-mount has been around since 1959 and Nikon is not planning to walk away from F-mount because DSLR bodies are better for certain types of photography (better than mirrorless), for example: sports, car racing, erratic movements like BIF. Nikon does not see any changes to F-mount in the next 5 to 7 years (at least)

Other:

• Nikon’s DSLR volume sales are higher than mirrorless sales. As of September this was still true. With the Pandemic limiting activities, it's difficult to use 2020 sales as a projection for anything.
An interesting technical item:
  • DSLR has about 65% of the light hitting the sensor. The mirrorless bodies have 90% of the light hitting the sensor.
Can any of the engineer types around here explain why?

Not mentioned is my reason for not switching to mirrorless. The viewfinder experience is different and I'm old and don't want to change. I read the opposite viewpoint from someone who said he was old and did not want for the mirrorless cameras to improve because he would probably quit shooting first.

I continue to predict DSLR cameras with sensors smaller than FX/135 will disappear fairly soon. New FX lenses from Nikon will be scarce. I would love to see an improved version of the 24-120VR, but have little hope. The article mentions some Telephoto zooms but is not clear as to whether they are for DSLR or native Z. I suspect the longer the focal length the less advantage there is in designing for Native Z.

samysound

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/31/...dslr-sales-still-higher-than-mirrorless.aspx/

This is a few months old, but if you did not see it, it's worth reading.

Most interesting tidbit:

How long will Nikon continue to support the F-mount? The response: F-mount has been around since 1959 and Nikon is not planning to walk away from F-mount because DSLR bodies are better for certain types of photography (better than mirrorless), for example: sports, car racing, erratic movements like BIF. Nikon does not see any changes to F-mount in the next 5 to 7 years (at least)

Other:

• Nikon’s DSLR volume sales are higher than mirrorless sales. As of September this was still true. With the Pandemic limiting activities, it's difficult to use 2020 sales as a projection for anything.
An interesting technical item:
  • DSLR has about 65% of the light hitting the sensor. The mirrorless bodies have 90% of the light hitting the sensor.
Can any of the engineer types around here explain why?

Not mentioned is my reason for not switching to mirrorless. The viewfinder experience is different and I'm old and don't want to change. I read the opposite viewpoint from someone who said he was old and did not want for the mirrorless cameras to improve because he would probably quit shooting first.

I continue to predict DSLR cameras with sensors smaller than FX/135 will disappear fairly soon. New FX lenses from Nikon will be scarce. I would love to see an improved version of the 24-120VR, but have little hope. The article mentions some Telephoto zooms but is not clear as to whether they are for DSLR or native Z. I suspect the longer the focal length the less advantage there is in designing for Native Z.
With dslr I assume some of the entering light is reflected via mirror optic into the view finder so less of the total light goes to the sensor as compared to a mirrorless

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With dslr I assume some of the entering light is reflected via mirror optic into the view finder so less of the total light goes to the sensor as compared to a mirrorless
During the exposure the mirror flips out of the way. Perhaps the 65%/90% comparison is only when the photo is being composed. Also, in a DSLR I believe some light is diverted to the AF sensor

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://nikonrumors.com/2020/11/24/...mount-lenses-coming-in-2021.aspx/#more-152857

• Confirmed: Nikon to release several new F mount lenses in 2021.
  • There are two new DSLR bodies to be released in 2021.
  • Nikon has not stopped the development of DSLR bodies but the majority of R&D money is targeted at mirrorless. They are not ready to shut down the F mount.
  • DSLR bodies are still outselling the Z-mount Mirrorless bodies but they expect within 60 days that mirrorless will outsell F-mount.

KR500

Thanks for posting this RT , interesting reading !
I just bought a clean low mileage Nikon D50 body in Ann Arbor at a Camera Store for $49 and am really enjoying using it .
It seems to have lost a focusing sensor or 2; but otherwise is fine for a senior camera.
Used the Nikon 50MM AF from my N90

DSC_8259.jpeg

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nikon UK has stopped taking orders and shipping on account of Brexit. Between Brexit and COVID they must be going nuts in the UK.

Top Bottom