• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

News Flash: Live Stream Interview With Hobie Sechrest of the Monolith brand is actually happening! 12/18/22

TheAVInsider

@MonolithGuy
Hope I'm not coming off too strong here. I'm not trying to speak on the behalf of anyone either. Just me being a bit of a matchmaker. So I just got word tonight that this is actually happening, and so I wanted to be sure this particular audience had a chance to hear what you have to say.

@amirm
Thank you for allowing me to post this here. I'm not trying to step on anyone's platform here. My promise to you is to do my best to keep this thread on topic. I believe this audience deserves prime seating. I hope to see you in the Sunday night live chat, but I understand that you've been exceptionally busy lately.

For those that don't already know, I'll provide a small introduction. Hobie Sechrest is among many other titles, the business unit manager of the Monolith brand of AV equipment. A brand normally sold by Monoprice. @MonolithGuy recently offered up his own personal time to hold a Q&A. When I first heard this, https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...p-with-hypex-amplification.27613/post-1395268, I immediately reached out to my friend Michael Stevens "Youthman" to pitch him the idea of hosting a special event. Youthman has just recently received his 100K Youtube subscriber. Many of you will recognize his Home Theater Tours Episodes. I knew these two had a well established relationship built up over the past several years, so it was pretty easy for me to put 2 and 2 together. Graciously, Hobie has agreed to the interview and the date has now been set. Tune in next Sunday night to catch it all happening live. Don't worry if you don't make it then. The livestream will be recorded and it will be posted on the Youthman Youtube Live Channel for you to view later. I'll leave a link here to the past shows for now. I'll update this thread, along with any links as things come along.

If you have any questions for me, or for anyone involved in this event, and especially if you have questions for Hobie, please ask them here first. It would be better if all parties had time to review questions and respond to them in the best possible fashion. The livestream will only be about one hour long, so please keep that in mind.

Also, one request I have for all the readers of this post. Please do not repost this. It's a simple request. Do that one thing for me, please. Thank You.

Glad I could help.

I will update this post as information becomes available to me. Here are some links to get you moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monolith has generally offered great value in all of their products, but the line goes from everything from home theater speakers in a box all the way to the HTP-1. Where do you see the future of the line in terms of % effort toward each of the categories?

The next are wish lists but maybe ripe for discussion.

1) With the HTP-1 eternally out of stock, is there any way for Monolith to look into a Trinnov option the way Sherwood did with the R972? The Sherwood line dropped to 48 kHz and had fewer options, but I could see an 11 channel version of Trinnov being a “budget” version that would still be wonderful for consumers while avoiding hurting the 16 and 32 channel versions.

2) Wiring rear speakers can be a hassle in many homes. There are XLR to Ethernet breakout boxes… what about an Ethernet to 4 pairs of speaker binding posts? Even with the resistance of the small gauge wire, the rears rarely need that much power and would be addressed with regular EQ/level setting in an amp. Or being creative, an 8 channel balanced wireless transmitter to pair with your HypeX Class D amplifiers for surrounds and surround heights would be great. (6 channels would be used)

3) The Hypex amps from Monoprice are great. Will we see Purifi products?

4) Setups with active speakers like the JBL 708P have the issue of needing 12V trigger. There are expensive line conditioners, power centers, with this feature but what about something that is UL listed for safety, cheap and reliable and skips the noise filtering which is unnecessary?

5) There are a lot of great speaker engineers in southern CA from the Harman era. Charles Sprinkle at Kali Audio and Greg Timbers in retirement. Since even AKG did a collaboration with Drop, any chance of a JBL Pro x Monolith, Kali x Monolith or Greg Timbers x Monolith? Heck, why not bring Floyd Toole as a consultant?

Top Bottom