• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newcomer to streaming

PaulinBont

Hi, my first post so please bear with me.

I usually listen to vinyl through Dali Oberon 5 speakers playing my records on a Rega 3 turntable and Brio R amplifier.

What device do I need to play music streaming via Amazon HD through my speakers please , augmenting the equipment I currently own.

Please try not to use technical jargon as I won’t understand as I’m not technically literate.

Thank you

Paul

tw99

A Bluesound Node 2i might be a good option, the software is supposed to be good, and easy to use, and it supports Amazon. Plug it into a line input on your amp.

OP
P

PaulinBont

A Bluesound Node 2i might be a good option, the software is supposed to be good, and easy to use, and it supports Amazon. Plug it into a line input on your amp.
Thank you for your reply

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 on BlueSound products.
*HOWEVER*

BlueSound does not have a native application to control Amazon HD.
I use a tablet to search in the Amazon offerings and select (with a simple text string) the tracks, albums or "stations" in BlueOS.

There's no graphics in that interface.

Also - the Node 2i onboard DAC is marginal quality.

A common solution is to use an older laptop with one of the fine, inexpensive DACS now available.

(I use the BlueSound products)

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 on BlueSound products.
*HOWEVER*

BlueSound does not have a native application to control Amazon HD.
I use a tablet to search in the Amazon offerings and select (with a simple text string) the tracks, albums or "stations" in BlueOS.
My NODE plays Amazon HD natively. Perhaps earlier models didn't.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My NODE plays Amazon HD natively. Perhaps earlier models didn't.
Mine does, too.

To be clear - there's no graphics in the interface, unlike the other streaming services. The only visual search I can do is of recordings I purchased on Amazon.

OP
P

PaulinBont

Thanks for clarifying that for me. From an aesthetic perspective, not ideal or tidy or minimalist enough for my living room.

I’m really looking for a single device

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks for clarifying that for me. From an aesthetic perspective, not ideal or tidy or minimalist enough for my living room.

I’m really looking for a single device
A 5-6~10W X86 CPU which can be used without active cooling is the best long run solution. Problem is there aren't any new ones that are interesting. Old ones based on Pentium/Celerons J and Y core's are what goes as it is. You can buy either a NUC alike or entry lv laptop with J's for around 300 $.
If you want it as simple as it gets and that it works as you wish (with smartphone app) take a look at Yamaha Musiccast lineups. They have even pretty decent power amp offering with a price about 500$ (but those aren't small). Don't expect to use (any of it) as a DSP, room correction as they didn't done that part good.

jensgk

Forum Donor
Hi, my first post so please bear with me.

I usually listen to vinyl through Dali Oberon 5 speakers playing my records on a Rega 3 turntable and Brio R amplifier.

What device do I need to play music streaming via Amazon HD through my speakers please , augmenting the equipment I currently own.

Please try not to use technical jargon as I won’t understand as I’m not technically literate.

Thank you

Paul

There are some prerequisites to streaming, which we need to make sure you have:
  • A working Wifi internet at your home, 10 Mbps or more.
  • A smartphone or tablet, Apple or Android, that can use the Wifi internet
Also where are you located? US/Europe ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What phone/tablet devices do you have.

Would you be interested in a solution where you stream from your phone or tablet to a small receiver plugged into your amp?

This could be bluetooth, or wifi (via - eg apple play if you have an iphone, or whatever the android equivalent is)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What phone/tablet devices do you have.

Would you be interested in a solution where you stream from your phone or tablet to a small receiver plugged into your amp?

This could be bluetooth, or wifi (via - eg apple play if you have an iphone, or whatever the android equivalent is)

Alternatively if you are prepared to accept an echo device, you could get an echo dot, and plug that into the amp using the 3.5mm analogue out. This is about the simplest (and cheapest) solution you can get.

PS - you have almost the exact same system I have, except I cancelled my Brio order, and am still using an otherwise reduntant AV reciever as an amp. I also stream/play digital files from my PC.

jensgk

Forum Donor

The Android equivalent would be chromecast, which is what I would suggest, besides Bluetooth, which would still be as good as vinyl sound quality :)

A device like this, would be ideal, but is only available in Europe: https://argonaudio.com/collections/radio/products/solo

It has: Chromecast, AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect and Roon Ready

Top Bottom