• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newby here with some question( EverSolo DAC Z6/Z8)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The DAC in the node2i (which I connected to a Denon-amplifier with flor speakers) doesn't do its job very well and I need something better.
What model "Denon amplifier" are we talking about? I presume it's an integrated amp, with RCA inputs?

If so, a DAC of the kind of caliber you are looking at would be an utter waste. Just get a Topping E50 or SMSL M8A or something. Even those have way overkill dynamic range for a pure line-level source. (You need maybe 105 dB for this application.)

The RME's extra features would obviously still be useful, but before dropping that much coin on a DAC I'd want to make sure that the speakers, placement, room acoustics and amp are all top-notch.

OP
A

adin

What model "Denon amplifier" are we talking about? I presume it's an integrated amp, with RCA inputs?

If so, a DAC of the kind of caliber you are looking at would be an utter waste. Just get a Topping E50 or SMSL M8A or something. Even those have way overkill dynamic range for a pure line-level source. (You need maybe 105 dB for this application.)

The RME's extra features would obviously still be useful, but before dropping that much coin on a DAC I'd want to make sure that the speakers, placement, room acoustics and amp are all top-notch.
As I wrote above, the Node2i&Roon is connected to a Denon-AVR X1500H receiver with Wharfedale Evo 4.3 front speakers. Through the Roon, MQA-Tidal format it sounds great but when I switched only through Bluesound, the sound is pretty flat. The idea is that I want to give up the Roon(to save some money/it became too expensive) and replace it with an MQA-DAC with DSP/EQ futures.
I listen to 75% of the music in mqa format from Tidal...the problem with RME it does not have mqa decoding.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I wrote above, the Node2i&Roon is connected to a Denon-AVR X1500H receiver with Wharfedale Evo 4.3 front speakers. Through the Roon, MQA-Tidal format it sounds great but when I switched only through Bluesound, the sound is pretty flat. The idea is that I want to give up the Roon(to save some money/it became too expensive) and replace it with an MQA-DAC with DSP/EQ futures.
I listen to 75% of the music in mqa format from Tidal...the problem with RME it does not have mqa decoding.
Then the only difference is the app you're using. Roon compared to BluOS. Are you using any EQ in Roon?

Trying to understand but you say Roon is to expensive but you want to buy a $700 DAC?

Last edited:
OP
A

adin

Then the only difference is the app you're using. Roon compared to BluOS. Are you using any EQ in Roon?

Trying to understand but you say Roon is to expensive but you want to buy a $700 DAC?
Yes I use EQ in Roon but bluos also has tone corrections.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I use EQ in Roon but bluos also has tone corrections.
Room EQ and tone corrections are not the same thing.

If you implement room eq without roon, you'll find a dramatic improvement with your current DAC. As I pointed out at the start, the problem is not your DAC, nor is it lack of MQA (which makes no audible improvement), it is how the speakers are interacting with the room. Changing the DAC will not solve that, you need room equalisation.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use REW and set the appropriate filters in roon. I'm not sure how you're doing EQ in roon but most likely that's why you hear a difference between the different apps. I've streamed Quboz through roon and through other apps and never noticed any difference with EQ turned off. I like roon for it's interface, DSP capabilities and library management. I understand wanting to replace roon , the cost keeps increasing but most likely the sound quality difference you're experiencing is losing your EQ in roon that's where you need to focus is finding a way to keep that ability in your chain if you cancel it.

OP
A

adin

I understand wanting to replace roon , the cost keeps increasing but most likely the sound quality difference you're experiencing is losing your EQ in roon that's where you need to focus is finding a way to keep that ability in your chain if you cancel it.
This is exactly what I referred to in the previous posts, if I get the same quality by replacing Parametric-EQ in ROON with EQ in RME ADI-2DAC.

Attachments

• roon eq.png
    roon eq.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 63

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is exactly what I referred to in the previous posts, if I get the same quality by replacing Parametric-EQ in ROON with EQ in RME ADI-2DAC.
I would think so but I would measure the room again. The Minidsp SHD which is cheaper than the RME and has Dirac if you're inclined to try could be something to consider to try. Replace the Node as well since it's a streamer.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm did you guys a solid one and tested the larger of the DACs:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC in question looks good but - SAVE YOUR MONEY.

The wharfedale speakers look decent, they have good sensitivity so the Denon is also unlikely to be a problem.

If you are hearing a big difference between Bluesound and other DACs IMO it's most likely that sampling rates are going wrong somewhere, or a setting is wrong somewhere, or something of that nature. There's no reason to expect any difference in sound quality between the electronics you mentioned.

If you can get that sorted then your best options for additional time or money expenditures are EQ correction and room treatments.

ol_mcdonald

I expected with a name like that it was coming from Shenzen audio. Well, at least you can buy it on Amazon, may have it in something short of a month like it would be if ordered from Shenzen Audio. I’ve had several Topping DAC’s and every time there is pathetic tracking and customer service if there is a problem. Hey but it specs good huh? I do like the display and it’s options, I’ll wait in this one a bit.

prerich

The DAC would be about the last thing I'd suspect, honestly. Speakers are the wild card in a modern system.
I'd say the room + the speakers. Flat measuring speakers will not be flat everywhere, the room they're played in has a huge part in the actual sound your ears receive.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say the room + the speakers. Flat measuring speakers will not be flat everywhere, the room they're played in has a huge part to play in the actual sound your ears receive.
True. I can hardly argue since I spent months doing room treatments.

prerich

Roon cost more that a $700 dac.

prerich

I use REW and set the appropriate filters in roon. I'm not sure how you're doing EQ in roon but most likely that's why you hear a difference between the different apps. I've streamed Quboz through roon and through other apps and never noticed any difference with EQ turned off. I like roon for it's interface, DSP capabilities and library management. I understand wanting to replace roon , the cost keeps increasing but most likely the sound quality difference you're experiencing is losing your EQ in roon that's where you need to focus is finding a way to keep that ability in your chain if you cancel it.
Maybe he can go to Jriver and use REW to place his eq settings in if he drops Roon. That's a way cheaper option than buying an RME. I'd like to see a picture of the OP's room myself.

Top Bottom