• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie with Macbook Pro and studio monitors...do I need a DAC?

sumognat

Hi All,

New to the forum and hi(gher)-end audio, so sorry if this is a ridiculous question, as I have been searching the forum and the threads are overwhelming me...

I have a Macbook Pro and recently purchased a pair of JBL 306p mkIIs. In my researching, it was suggested that you use balanced XLR cables for these studio monitors. Am I correct in understanding that I should get a DAC with XLR outputs as opposed to DAC's offering RCA outputs only? Is playing music to the speakers from a DAC much better than just using XLR cables to the headphone port on my laptop?

If a DAC is recommended, does anyone have a recommendation under $500 (even less expensive would be great)? I was looking at the Topping 50s, but noticed it's only RCA output only, so not that great with the JBL 306s? Any other DACs I should look at? Is the Focusrite Scarlett Solo an option worth considering?

The speakers will primarily be used to play music while sitting at my desk. Music will mostly be played via my Itunes library, or an online streaming service (Apple Music, Qobuz, or Tidal) through my laptop. I would not mind adding a CD player to my setup in the future (my Macbook does not have an optical drive). I don't have a set of quality headphones at the moment, so that isn't a critical requirement right now. Bluetooth streaming capability would be nice, but not 100% required.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apple products usually come with a decent built in DAC function.
I would assume a (quality) $100 external DAC would easily equal (and technically better) your MacBook Pro's built in DAC function.
How much real world difference in sound, if that noticeable, might even be debatable.
To me the Topping D50 DAC is something I would consider, for your situation.
I would say the balanced (XLR or TRS) vs the un-balanced (RCA or TS) connection should be a secondary choice.
Your welcome to spend more ($350), for a DAC with a balanced connection, but I doubt it would be worthwhile noticeable improvement.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The main benefit from an outboard DAC vs your headphone jacks on the Mac will be higher output voltage. The JBL's will be easier to use with a little more output voltage. They need more than likely is available from your Mac. Though if you try it and are happy then all is good.

If it isn't too much money a Motu M2 would be a good choice. $170.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2--motu-m2-2x2-usb-c-audio-interface

Does more than you need, but a handy quality unit. The Focusrite 2i2 or maybe even Solo would work also.

I can't keep straight in my head all the good less than $500 DACs, and which have balanced output. Balanced is nice, but for a short run RCA to balanced would work fine. The Topping D70 is $499 with balanced outs. Has plenty of output voltage for your JBLs.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-the-topping-d70-dac.7694/

This SMSL might be worth a look. Likely has enough voltage output, but the D70 has 4 volts which is a little better for the JBLs. Bit over $200
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-8-version-2-balanced-dac.5433/

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Cheapest balanced DAC that is still decent is probably the Drop - GRACE Design SDAC Balanced. US$140/- last seen.
A little slightly up the value chain would be the SMSL SU-8 v2. Can be bought on sale for about US$185 ~.

Next up would be ones like the M500, D5, D70, DX7Pro in their respective price brackets.

OP
S

sumognat

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. :)

I unboxed and connected my monitors to my laptop last night (was waiting on delivery of a headphone jack to TS cable) and it sounded pretty good (streamed music via Qobuz). There's definitely a bit of noise going on in the background when the monitors are playing music (if you're really straining to hear it, probably more noticeable with headphones). I'm tempted to buy a DAC to see if there is much improvement. The monitors were huge, so I decided to get them off my desk and bought some speaker stands, lol.

The D50s (with the P50 added) is very tempting and saving up for the DX7Pro is very tempting as well. I was looking at the Dx3Pro, too, but I am a bit uncertain with all the posts here about reliability.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The P50 doesn't add anything to the D50s, save your money....

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/

The soon to be released SMSL SU-9 DAC could be worth waiting for (based on the performance of the SU-8 and the addition of a manual volume control).

I run a pair of JBL 1 Series 104's off a D50s/JDS Atom Combo. The 104's start to hum around the 80% volume mark. I assume that this is either from the use of an unbalanced connection or from the relatively cheap Class D amp in them.

At present, I have the 104 volume set to around 60% and use the pre-amp function of the Atom to control volume (the D50s is always set to max volume). This setup allows me to keep the Atom volume in the same range for both headphone and speaker listening (i.e. I don't get any nasty surprises when switching between them).

nopomo

Is playing music to the speakers from a DAC much better than just using XLR cables to the headphone port on my laptop?
The LSR's analog inputs go through an ADC since the active crossover is implemented with DSP. Whatever you feed it is going to be limited by the speakers' inbuilt DAC.

I've used LSR305s directly from the headphone jack of a MacBook (using a 3.5 mm TRS to dual 6.35 mm TS cable) and they sounded fine.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LSR's analog inputs go through an ADC since the active crossover is implemented with DSP. Whatever you feed it is going to be limited by the speakers' inbuilt DAC.

I think you're mistaking the 306P with JBL's 7 series monitors that have a built-in DAC for DSP applications: https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series

The 306P MKII is straight up Class D amp only with switches for room control and HF trim without any DAC for fine tuning room correction modes.

nopomo

I think you're mistaking the 306P with JBL's 7 series monitors that have a built-in DAC for DSP applications: https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series

The 306P MKII is straight up Class D amp only with switches for room control and HF trim without any DAC for fine tuning room correction modes.
I am not mistaken, the LSR305 uses all DSP filters. See the teardown if you don't believe me:
The STM8 MCU (left) has 2 functions:
  1. Load up the filter coefficients and initialize the rest of the DSP.
  2. Read the trim switches and the gain potentiometer at the back and update the DSP config appropriately.
Thus the speaker is completely software controlled.

A preamp is nice to have for volume control and input switching but a DAC is not going to improve anything.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a Cirrus Logic ADC too. That would just mean that all signals are converted back to digital then apply DSP then back to analog. I check my HS7 to look for ADC and DSP chip but can’t seem to find a detailed tear down of it.

Top Bottom