• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie to the forum and have a question...

BillG

Major Contributor
Read many a good thing about the Topping D30 and D50 but those have not been described as being "warm" but "detailed".

I agree completely with what's been written about subjective reviews above. Also, a competently designed DAC is meant to be transparent, without a sonic signature of its own.

According to the DSP suite I use on my media player, if I want a "warm" sound its engineers offered a preset that boost the lower frequencies from ~280Hz downwards by 8 dB, while gradually rolling off the highs starting at 10Khz, and slamming them to the floor at 16Khz and above - I never use it... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zermak

I am with everyone who is suggesting you to try to EQ the sound on your preferences rather than spend money on another (bad implemented if I may say it, considering you don't want a flat frequency response) DAC.
The warm signature of the sound is probably a subjective matter but with a fast search it looks like the 200Hz-ish zone is the one to boost (even our friend @solderdude has his own graph on his site for the sound signatures: here).
As usual room, speakers and so on will impact the sound so as suggested proceed with caution (and if going the EQ way use a negative preamplification to prevent clipping).

Top Bottom