• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie question about streamers

Willem

Major Contributor
24/96 is well above the limit of human hearing capability so anything above that is a waste of resources. Even 16/44 is perfectly fine, and 24/48 already gives a big margin.

kaka89

24/96 is well above the limit of human hearing capability so anything above that is a waste of resources. Even 16/44 is perfectly fine, and 24/48 already gives a big margin.
I agree.
While the spec is well above human needs, some people might want to avoid downsampling by this small blackbox tho. The down sampling could be fine or it could be not. Anyway just extra info to consider.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you are after convenient I think this will be a good option with a nice display.
Sound quality will be fine but don't expect bit perfect; when you receive an app notification it certainly will break your listening experience.
Android tablet with UAPP to external DAC is bit perfect. @mslim didn't say anything about ChromeCast Audio...

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, features and stability are the most important aspects of a streamer (once it handles sufficient formats). I’ve used volumio and other Pi solutions, but my cambridge audio streamer/DAC just works, and the others are finicky, even when wired. If you are using wifi, this goes double.

With CA I can use Chromecast for multi-casting with my kitchen player and UPnP for single system play, and it switches back and forth seamlessly. I have a dedicated tablet, but I can use my phone if that is out of reach.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am more than happy with the CCA. I use the digital output into an RME ADI-2 and sound quality is perfect. We also have one in the bedroom, again using the digital output into a small AVA Maestro 50 amplifier with optical input. Both are operated from our phones. Before we had the ADI-2 in th emain system we used the analogue output in to Quad 33, and that was fine too, though not quite as good as the optical into the ADI-2 (I think the difference was largely or entirely due to the superiority of the ADI-2).

Top Bottom