• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWBIE - Presentation of my set-up

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys,

As a newcomer to the digital audio I got on this site and, after asking some questions, would like to introduce myself and the set-up I've decided to go for.

First, some rapid things about myself. I am 50 years old (almost), live in France and work as a law professor at University.
In the past year, my amount of work increased suddenly (several institutions asked me to teach for them...), so I have very little time to spend in the living room listen to the stereo system I've set-up with sweat and sweat over the years.

That system is following :
Sources : CD and SACD and DVD-A and BRD-A played over an Oppo BDP-105 player.
Pre-amp : Oppo BDP-105. I've listened to it as a pre-amp and compared to the Arcam AV-8. I liked the sound better than with AV-8.
Amps for front : 2 X Linn AV5125, so 10 channels at 125W (100W all channels driven).
Fronts : Linn Keltik speakers with active quad-amplification (1 amp per speaker => 8 channels for front !)
Centre : Linn AV5120, active bi-amped
Amps for rear : 3 X SMSL SE98
Rear speakers : Linn Kaber, active tri-amplified (so 1 SMSL for treble, 1 SMSL for mids and 1 SMSL for bass. Active cards to separate signal in so called "Tune Box").

The sound it produces is good enough for me. But as I said, I can't enjoy it that much at the moment. So I am mainly sitting at my desk in my room to work (preparing classes, lectures, conferences, writing the law books my editor asked for...) and as the little computer speakers produced a sound that got on my nerves after 10 or 15 minutes, I decided to go for music listening over headphones.
And I also decided to rip all my CD collection.

The computer used is one I've built myself. I wanted something that would not slow me down... So I got me an ASUS Z10PE-D16WS motherboard, fitted it with 2 Intel Xeon's ES computers (14 cores/28 threads each), doped it with 112GB of RAM and gave it a LOT of hard drives and ssd's, the whole thing packed in a ThermalTake View91 computer case.
The whole thing is driven by GNU/Linux. I've decided to go for an Arch based distro called MANJARO.

This being said, I had to decide several things at this point...

First, what to do to playback the files I am listening to.
It seems that Linux uses a thing called "Pulse Audio" that automatically downsamples music to 16/44.
If I listen to my encoded files, that is oK. But if I listen to the 24/96 files bought on french music site Qobuz, I'd like to get the most out of them.
So, after asking here, it seems ALSA is the way to go and I had to get the stream to directly output to ALSA.
There are several PlayBack software that allows you to do so... But I didn't liked the way they manage my library (it's going to be a decently huge one).
So, to use the software I like, I decided to use a bridge that links Pulse Audio to ALSA and that is called JACK.
It seems it is working quite decently, at least to my ears.

Second, what to use to playback my files.
I've tried a lot of software than can do this : Rhythmbox, gMusicbrowser, Lollypop, deadBeef, Strawberry, quodLibet... and then some others.
They all had pros, but also some cons.
So I ended up with Cantata, which is a front end for a MPD server (that needs no set-up as it runs purely locally).
What I like in Cantata is that you can have the music library displayed as a Mosaic (unfortunately, deadBeed and Strawberry do not offer that ; quodLibet has it, but is desperatly slow as soon as you have like 50 CD covers to display).
So that left me with basically 3 players... Rhythmbox, Lollypop and Cantata.
I liked the look and feel of Cantata and its ability to customize the library management better, so I decided to go for that one.

Third : how to rip my CD collection.
After asking here, I decided to encode the whole thing in .flac.
Even though it has been pointed taht I can set the compression level to max without loss, I decided to go for a minimum compression.
So everything is being ripped in .flac, no compression and no ReplayGain.

So now I am with my hardware and my music collection.
I now have to listen to music.
I listen to all kind of musics according to my mood. With the excpetion of "old-time" rap and "techno".
So I listen to classical music (great fan of Beethoven's symphonies, piano concertos, Mahler and Dvorak symphonies); Rock (Burce, U2, Melissa Ehteridge...) and "Jazz" (for what it's worth, as there are so many different "jazzes"... I love "Jazz fusion" between "jazz" and "electronic" : Jan Garbarel or John Surman...).

I found a nice used ASUS Xonar STU DAC + Headphone amp combo.
The guy was selling it for 100€, so I decided to go for it.
Again after asking here, I decided to plug the ASUS Xonar into the motherboard via a TosLink cable as the MoBo is fitted with Toslink output (so not over USB).
Sometimes, I plug a dedicated headphone amp (a Little Bear B4 that a friend gave me) and which is very nice and is a real bargain...

Then I plug-in my headphones into the ASUS Xonar.
The headphones used are : B&W P5 ; Philips Fidelio X2HR ; B&0 H9i ; Oppo PM-3 ; AudioQuest Nighthawk ; Sennheiser HD700.
I think that all of these headphones are more than decent. And I assume that the set-up I am using is insufficient to show the real potential of them all.
In other words, I think the differences between them are not really "night and day" as I experienced with loudspeakers...

But I must say that (I will probably get angry comments for this statement) the one I like most is the B&O H9i (probably not the most "hi-fi" and accurate, but really enjoyable) that I think is only overwhelmed by the AudioQuest NightHawk (a little more accurate and at least equally enjoyable).

The Fidelio X2HR comes next. It has "thinner" sound, but probably more "subtle" than the previous 2, less "dark" but with no sibbilance in the trebles. But it is a little less enjoyable to my ears.

The Oppo is the next one... It is great and I really like it, but after comparing it with the others, there's something that is not to my convenience... But I am so far unable to tell exactly what it is :-(

The B&W P5 is of course a little off the charts. It is not circum-auricular but simply over-ear. So It is indeed a totally different sound. Still really competent and pretty enjoyable especially if you can find one used for about 60€... which is about the price it goes for these days.

The real disappointment for me is the Sennheiser. It sounds like it is missing some room. As if music would be more "tiny" with it than it is with the others. It is not that bad if you're listening to big boomy sounds... But having no real explosion in Mahler's First (opening movement) with it is quite disturbing. When I am in the room, yes, that explodes, so why does it not in my headphone ?

Sorry for the long post...

It is just the conclusion after sopending a lot of time reading (and asking and getting super fast and accurate answers) here...

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Try the HD700 with the Xonar set at headphones >300 Ohm
Of course the bass will always be 'light' compared to all the other 'warm/bass heavy' headphones you own. Also the treble peak does not help in the HD700

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Of course the bass will always be 'light' compared to all the other 'warm/bass heavy' headphones you own. Also the treble peak does not help in the HD700

Hi,

Concerning the "bass level" I always thought that producing "bass", everyone can do.
But producing a controlled, dry bass, that doesn't bleed and gives and understandable signal is the challenge that most fail at.

I think the Nighthawk does that pretty well... and is also incredible in the treble department !
The B&0 is slightly less "understandable", but I must say I love it. Probably ly 50 years old ears now :-(

I assume that by "set the Xonar at >300ohm you mean to enable the "Hi gain" ?

I have no idea what "treble peak does not help" means :-( As I said, total newbie (maybe even a rookie :-( )

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi solderdude,

How will I ever be able to thank you enough for the "Hi gain" advice...

It is simply INCREDIBLE to my ears...
The Sennheiser HD700 with that setting, all other things equal, is simply STUNNING !!!
The bass suddenly comes and is totally "dry" and I have been able to hear several little details never hard before on a track listened to for decades (the "Hey you" from "The Wall" (the 20th anniversary edition I miraculously got a copy of is stunning, especially compared to the really awful so called "Remasters" that are now the only version avaialble on streaming sties !).

I never understood what that setting was for. Now, I do :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what "treble peak does not help" means :-( As I said, total newbie (maybe even a rookie :-( )

The HD700 has a substantial peak (emphasis) in the treble around 6kHz. Some hate it, others hear it as 'enhanced detail'.
The other headphones you own don't have a treble peak.

Yes, high gain this ensures a substantially higher output voltage for headphones which the HD700 needs = 10dB more headroom/output power is available.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

The HD700 has a substantial peak (emphasis) in the treble around 6kHz. Some hate it, others hear it as 'enhanced detail'.
The other headphones you own don't have a treble peak.

Yes, high gain this ensures a substantially higher output voltage for headphones which the HD700 needs = 10dB more headroom/output power is available.

Hi,

Wasn't aware of that peak in the HD700...
I confess that I buy my gear after listening sessions not after technical data (especially given by the manufacturer) :)

When I listened to it with my Pioneer 300 portable audio player, it sounded more than decent.
And the guy selling was asking 200€ for it... How could I decide NOT to take it ?
But in the set-up it was a little disappointing.
It may well be that the Pioneer has a "hi-gain" function that was enabled when I listened to the HD700 before I bought it...

Will the other headphones also benfit from that hi-gain ?
I'll give them a listen, unless you say it may damage them :-(

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi Kal,

Thanks for your answer.

I would love to use dbPowerMap or EAC to rip my music collection, but there is no such software on Linux and I don't want to do that on a VM even though I have the knowleadge to set-up one. I am pretty sure that for now pretty "old" ears" and with my not so fined-tuned set-up I would probably not tell the difference between a file encoded with Cantata and one encoded with EAC.
Besides, there is an equivalent to EAC in Linux... But to rip one CD took about 28 minutes. I'll be long dead before I finished to rip the entire collection if a rip takes that long :-(

Jriver and Roon ?
Several problems.
Those are not officially supported by my Linux distribution.
I have not really understood what they offer that other players do not.
They both are paid software... and not really cheap. JRiver is 80 dollars and Roon is 120 dollars a year.
Not willing to pay for unsupported software, especially since I do not understand what benefits I'll get from those :-(

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

One quick question : is that just as if I would turn up the volume to reach those 10db more ?
Or is it really more "energy" given to move the speakers inside the headphone ?

Asking because I know that for loudspeakers, some are power hungry.
My Linn Keltiks, for instance, need power amps that deliver a lot of "energy" (current ?) to be driven properly.
That is why I went for Linn power amps. same brand... and known to deliver the needed resources.

Maybe something the like is at work when driving headphone mechanisms ?

Thanks for your answer.

Regards.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
it needs more voltage, not more power.

High impedance requires a higher voltage than a low impedance to reach the same power level.
Most headphones have a fairly equal consumed power for a certain loudness in sound,

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Jriver and Roon ?
Several problems.
Those are not officially supported by my Linux distribution.
I have not really understood what they offer that other players do not.
You cannot know until you try them. They both offer free trials.
They both are paid software... and not really cheap. JRiver is 80 dollars and Roon is 120 dollars a year.
Jriver is a one-time price with updates for one year. Renewals are to gain access to new updates but are not required. Pricing in the US is in the $30-$40 range, not $80. Roon is expensive.
Not willing to pay for unsupported software, especially since I do not understand what benefits I'll get from those :-(
See above. After a brief trial with Jriver, I have stuck with it for years.
Have you tried Foobar? I prefer Jriver but Foobar is free.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
For large libraries on Linux, try Quod Libet.

That was the best music player I have used during my Linux days.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JRiver or Roon. Bypass system audio.

EAC or dBPowerAmp.
JRiver is incredibly convenient for CD ripping as well. You put the CD in, a popup appears to ask if you wanna rip it, find the info online and tags it as you set. CD goes out by itself.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

You cannot know until you try them. They both offer free trials.

Jriver is a one-time price with updates for one year. Renewals are to gain access to new updates but are not required. Pricing in the US is in the $30-$40 range, not $80. Roon is expensive.

See above. After a brief trial with Jriver, I have stuck with it for years.
Have you tried Foobar? I prefer Jriver but Foobar is free.

Hi Kal,

Thanks again... But as I said, I am not using Windows but Linux.
And there's no such thing as oobar on Linux either.

I've tried JRiver. There's an unofficial port of that for my distro.
I don't think it will fit my needs :-(
A lot of unsupported features for one, awfully slow for two, music collection mangement that is beyond any logical comprehension for my poor little brain for three :-(
That makes a lot for paid software :-(

I think I'll stick to what I found to please my needs and eyes :)

OP
P

PenguinMusic

For large libraries on Linux, try Quod Libet.

That was the best music player I have used during my Linux days.

Hi,

Loved quodLibet a lot.
BUT : if you want to display your collection as a library, it gets incredibly slow if you have more than say 60 CD's.
And as I have slightly more than that it has become a "No go" :-(

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
BUT : if you want to display your collection as a library, it gets incredibly slow if you have more than say 60 CD's.
Interesting. I had that problem with everything else I've tried, such as Amarok, Clementine, etc. But never Quod Libet...

ADDENDUM: If you're not averse to CLI, try @q3cpma 's suckless music player.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
A lot of unsupported features for one, awfully slow for two, music collection mangement that is beyond any logical comprehension for my poor little brain for three :-(
Wow. The library management is the reason I will not use anything else. It seems so intuitive to me. And it is fast. Oh well,..........

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Wow. The library management is the reason I will not use anything else. It seems so intuitive to me. And it is fast. Oh well,..........

Hi Kal,

JRiver is probably superb in WINDOWS.
But as I run Arch based Manjaro GNU/LINUX distribution, it is not officially supported.

The port is unofficial and really BAD !
Running JRiver ends up in freezing the whole system :-(

I think I will stick to something else :-(
Of course, if there's an official port, I'll give it another look then :)

Regards.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

There is something that is puzzling me...

JRiver and Roon claim to be "BitPerfect" players.
But some people claim to hear differences between them.

There are other players that are supposed to be BitPerfect.
And some people claim that Roon and JRiver are vastly superior to those.

So here's my question : if I use the exact same hardware and the exact same settings to playback my files with BitPerfect players, I should have the exact same sound or am I missing something about what BitPerfect means ?

Regards.

Top Bottom