• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie home Studio/Hifi Setup - DAC + HP Amp, Headphones, Audio Interface, etc.

liliaokulani

Hello everybody,

Newbie here. Looking for a new/1st better sound quality setup for different use cases. Best bang for your buck kinda guy.
(Guitar Player, Mix between Studio and Hifi Setup, mostly listening to Genres whith physical Instruments).

• portable Headphone Amp for (Win) Notebook ??? (Schiit Fulla 4 145 Euro, Tempotec Sonata HD Pro 55 Euro)
  • better Headphones (currently DT770 Pro): HiFiman HE400i 150 Euro (Sundara currently mint for 250 Euro on Kijiji)
  • DAC - Schiit Modi 3+ 140 Euro
  • Amp used NAD C316BEE 200 Euro
  • Hifi Speakers should be rather affordable (I use Headphones most of the time): Dali Spektor 1 160 Euro
  • Audio Interface (currently Scarlett 2 ): Motu M4 269 Euro
  • Speakers/Monitors - Adam T5V 289 Euro with foam pads
Total would be between 750 and 950 Euro

Is that overkill for getting a better setup? Are there any redundancies?

Any input appreciated!

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You could get away with plugging the Hifiman HE400i and Adam T5V into the Scarlett 2, at least for now.
Give you more time to decide on a DAC/amp?

OP
L

liliaokulani

You could get away with plugging the Hifiman HE400i and Adam T5V into the Scarlett 2, at least for now.
Give you more time to decide on a DAC/amp?
Thanks, thats what got me startet - I plugged the DT770s into the scarlett and was blown away by the difference compared to the cheap House of Marley Headphones I was using on the notebook before.

I think both the Schiit or the Topping will be plenty enough for my PC, but I read today that the Fulla 4 might not have enough power for the HE400is.

Priority in terms of what to buy first would be a portable DAC for the notebook, the HE400i and then the rest.

twsecrest

I've used the Schiit Fulla (2 or 3), surprising amount of power for a little box, so the Fulla will drive the HE400 headphones.
But still would try an push you for something that cost's more then the Fulla 4.

OP
L

liliaokulani

I've used the Schiit Fulla (2 or 3), surprising amount of power for a little box, so the Fulla will drive the HE400 headphones.
But still would try an push you for something that cost's more then the Fulla 4.

which ones would you recommend then?

Walter

No need for the Dalis if you buy the Adams.The latter will most likely sound better in all scenarios. Plus I don't see mention of a speaker amp.

twsecrest

which ones would you recommend then?
My thinking is to not replace the Scarlett 2, but up the budget for the headphones.

Takstar HF 580 planer headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, do sound nice to my ears.

OP
L

liliaokulani

My thinking is to not replace the Scarlett 2, but up the budget for the headphones.

Takstar HF 580 planer headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, do sound nice to my ears.
Thanks but being in Europe - with shipping + Tax, I would not be too far from the Sundara at 350 Euro but I would rather stick around or below 200 Euro

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
My suggestion:
Motu M4
Adam T5V using balanced cables. They are active monitors, don't need an amp. Check out thomann.de
DAC: MOTU M4
Headphone Amp: your choice.

Drop the NAD and the desktop dac.

Are you moving around with the computer?
Should give you more money towards headphone.

OP
L

liliaokulani

My suggestion:
Motu M4
Adam T5V using balanced cables. They are active monitors, don't need an amp. Check out thomann.de
DAC: MOTU M4
Headphone Amp: your choice.

Drop the NAD and the desktop dac.

Are you moving around with the computer?
Should give you more money towards headphone.
Yes moving around a lot with notebook so a mobile HP AMP is must.

Since I am rather new to your sphere I have just figured out that the Audio Interface is/has a DAC and I read that the T5V should be used balanced in a PC environment - so thank you for your input. Why the Motu 4? Two more i/os seem to be the only difference vs. the M2.

Walter

Yes moving around a lot with notebook so a mobile HP AMP is must.

Since I am rather new to your sphere I have just figured out that the Audio Interface is/has a DAC and I read that the T5V should be used balanced in a PC environment - so thank you for your input. Why the Motu 4? Two more i/os seem to be the only difference vs. the M2.
M4 has a much better ADC than the M2. See:
and

Top Bottom