• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here with PC questions

Tom C

Major Contributor
These are about 9” x 6” x 8-1/2”. If that fits, it’s an excellent option, widely available at places like Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc. The Kalis will sound great, but likely be too big for your desktop.
Just to be clear, the Genelecs, Kalis and Neumanns all have built-in amplifiers, so you don’t need to buy an external amp to power them, and you save space that way too. You do have to plug each speaker into the wall, though.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My
These are about 9” x 6” x 8-1/2”. If that fits, it’s an excellent option, widely available at places like Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc. The Kalis will sound great, but likely be too big for your desktop.
Just to be clear, the Genelecs, Kalis and Neumanns all have built-in amplifiers, so you don’t need to buy an external amp to power them, and you save space that way too. You do have to plug each speaker into the wall, though.
My experience with the Kali was not good. The digital hiss was audible from 3 meters. The newer models may be better.

Last edited:

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Before you buy anything? Go to a Guitar center. Ask the Rep there Early in the morning when they are not busy to showcase some speakers for you on their DAW setup. See what your missing.

the soundsticks are really nice speakers for what they are because they're designed for looks.
I don't like wearing headphones all that much either.

the best Improvement is a set of speakers set up correctly. you said that you like the sound from your headphones well try to go around and audition some speakers that sound close to that sound you like as your yardstick.
Everything else will fall in place and just click.

Since this is your first set? Amazon lets you try out speakers and when your happy? Keep the ones you like.

Start here at $60 bucks and work your way up if you can't audition speakers in person. If you can tell what the weak points are here, go up the chain to the ones that give you what you want. They also fit in a small space.
Amazon lets you try speakers out like clothes so you won't be out $60 bucks if they don't meet your expectations. Just return them within 30 days.
81PdWvZcOBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They should fit well on your desk.

BeerBear

There are more and other differences in Exclusive Mode than just getting rid of the resampling.

Trust me on this one ... the difference doesn't need blind tests of AP scans ... it's freaking obvious.
Sorry, but... not on this one. :)

Everything I've seen so far indicates that shared mode is fine. At least if the signal doesn't exceed -0.14 dB to trigger the limiter, but even with that I'm not sure it's a significant difference. And if you don't resample or trigger the limiter, the shared output is bit-perfect!
If you disagree, you're kindly invited to make your case in that thread.
(I also don't want to continue this here, because frankly this stuff is the least of OPs worries for now.)

D

Deleted member 46664

Sorry, but... not on this one. :)

That's okay... you have every right to be wrong :D

Everything I've seen so far indicates that shared mode is fine. At least if the signal doesn't exceed -0.14 dB to trigger the limiter, but even with that I'm not sure it's a significant difference. And if you don't resample or trigger the limiter, the shared output is bit-perfect!

Only in the case of selecting the correct size and rate for each file in shared mode.
Exclusive mode takes care of that for you. It also shuts down the mixer limiter and effects engine to keep them out of it.
Music collections should be normalized at -18dbfs for best results.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
I have a 2.1chan stereo system in the living room for listening, but at my desk I use a (not audiophile) Klipsch THX promedia 2.1 speaker system and JDS Labs Atom hp/amp and Atom dac, with a Drop 58X (Sennheiser) headphone which I find very comfortable for long periods of time. They are open back, but if you are listening at normal levels you shouldn't bother any one.

71TuRvMNvZL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpgdesktop.jpg

OP
F

fibbi

I check out the availability of the speaker over the weekend and all sold out (so as many other electronic). I live in Canada and I feel like even harder to shop (and even to just see). While the speaker itself is within budget, the sub woofer is 1K with tax. So the whole combo is $1600 Cdn , which I think it's a bit out of budget. Is it ok to go without the subwoofer?
Get the Genelec monitors and sub NiagaraPete suggested, a cable like this one (3.5 stereo to 2x male XLR) and two of these (XLR-XLR), connect everything together, plug it into the Sound Blaster, and enjoy your music. No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.
Thank you for all the cable choice!
Before you buy anything? Go to a Guitar center. Ask the Rep there Early in the morning when they are not busy to showcase some speakers for you on their DAW setup. See what your missing.

the soundsticks are really nice speakers for what they are because they're designed for looks.
I don't like wearing headphones all that much either.

the best Improvement is a set of speakers set up correctly. you said that you like the sound from your headphones well try to go around and audition some speakers that sound close to that sound you like as your yardstick.
Everything else will fall in place and just click.

Since this is your first set? Amazon lets you try out speakers and when your happy? Keep the ones you like.

Start here at $60 bucks and work your way up if you can't audition speakers in person. If you can tell what the weak points are here, go up the chain to the ones that give you what you want. They also fit in a small space.
Amazon lets you try speakers out like clothes so you won't be out $60 bucks if they don't meet your expectations. Just return them within 30 days.
81PdWvZcOBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They should fit well on your desk.
Thank you for the choices! I can certainly try out this pair. I live in Canada so no "guitar center" I can browse , unfortunately.

For the window setting, I installed the Sound Blaster driver so it does its own rendering / setting. But I guess as most of you mention, my speaker is the main issue here. I seriously should shop around speaker and see if I can clean up some space.

Big thank you for all the valuable inputs!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I check out the availability of the speaker over the weekend and all sold out (so as many other electronic). I live in Canada and I feel like even harder to shop (and even to just see). While the speaker itself is within budget, the sub woofer is 1K with tax. So the whole combo is $1600 Cdn , which I think it's a bit out of budget. Is it ok to go without the subwoofer?

Thank you for the choices! I can certainly try out this pair. I live in Canada so no "guitar center" I can browse , unfortunately.

For the window setting, I installed the Sound Blaster driver so it does its own rendering / setting. But I guess as most of you mention, my speaker is the main issue here. I seriously should shop around speaker and see if I can clean up some space.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you’re in the TO area https://www.long-mcquade.com/ Has some in stock last I checked.

If the sub is out of reach move up to the 8020 or 8030 Genelec.

OP
F

fibbi

If you’re in the TO area https://www.long-mcquade.com/ Has some in stock last I checked.

If the sub is out of reach move up to the 8020 or 8030 Genelec.
Oh it just become in stock again. Hopefully I can check out there.
... or stay with the 8010 and check a cheaper sub with full crossover in XLR, like the JBL LSR 310 S.
Thank you very much!!! You guys/gals rock!

It helps a lot to me as a newbie sometimes I don't know where to start. :)

Top Bottom