• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here, please help me avoid a big mistake in choosing home theater!

Packerbacker

I have spent the last several months reading, and reading, and reading some more. I have learned a lot but I’m having a hard time deciding what equip to buy.

Our basement project is almost complete, i wired it for 5.1, coiled behind drywall figured i would cut out for inwalls. We have a 1yo and 3yo so these seemed safe vs floor speakers. I then picked up a Yamaha TSR-7080 from Costco, which i think it similar to or the same as a A-780 Just a different model number so Costco can have different warranty and pricing. This could be returned if makes sense but $430 the price was right!

Since the receiver is 7.2 or can do zone 2 or Atmos now I think i want Atmos. the additional plane of sound seems appealing, or is it a gimmick? If it is worth the price, I can easily fish 2 more wires in ceiling.

Attached are some photos, we have no furniture yet but were thinking one big sectional. Layout such that people Standing around island can see over the top of those sitting on the furniture.

In-walls are preferred, but I’ve read that floor speakers are much better value sound/price wise and do considering this option. Also read that book shelves can be even better value with a decent sub. Bookshelves are out unless they are mounted to the wall, i am confident they would be knocked over by the kids. If i did towers in front they will have to be tethered to the wall, if possible (Just dont trust it). Our kids are not rowdy but again they are still very young.

I have listened to Paradigm, GoldenEar, B&W, Klipsch, KEF. I do not pretend to be an audiophile but can appreciate great sounding systems. We have Paradigm satellites upstairs mainly fo ascetics and they sound fine but i want to do better in the basement. I think this will be mostly TV/movie watching but also maybe 30% music. All of these brands sounded great. There is a good set of Klipsch for sale used by me RP-280F x 2, RP-450c and RP-250s x 4 priced for $1400. I would still need a SUB and Atmos. I would likely sella pair of the 250s. The towers are my hangup and that I read monoples are better for surrounds in a 5.1.2. Out of all these, while quiet KEF sounded really nice, also really liked Paradigm. If I consider bookshelves, are there some nice mounts once can buy to get up on the walls And provide tilting to point at the sweet spot and keep them out of kiddos reach?

Enough rambling? Ive had one recommendation for HSU 5.1 but I can not hear these first so am not sure what to do there.

Attachments

• 03C93C9D-D7E9-4FB8-9371-810A71AEED34.jpeg
    03C93C9D-D7E9-4FB8-9371-810A71AEED34.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 55F94E69-DFA0-409E-8D37-8991D9E3FB66.jpeg
    55F94E69-DFA0-409E-8D37-8991D9E3FB66.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 74B88643-250D-4746-90E5-D66A09BD3895.jpeg
    74B88643-250D-4746-90E5-D66A09BD3895.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 92A25166-1A71-4FE1-82F0-DAF38EEEBBB0.jpeg
    92A25166-1A71-4FE1-82F0-DAF38EEEBBB0.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 166
  • DAEA69B2-7022-432A-9064-48EA3A501D31.jpeg
    DAEA69B2-7022-432A-9064-48EA3A501D31.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 171
OP
P

Packerbacker

I have spent the last several months reading, and reading, and reading some more. I have learned a lot but I’m having a hard time deciding what equip to buy.

Our basement project is almost complete, i wired it for 5.1, coiled behind drywall figured i would cut out for inwalls. We have a 1yo and 3yo so these seemed safe vs floor speakers. I then picked up a Yamaha TSR-7080 from Costco, which i think it similar to or the same as a A-780 Just a different model number so Costco can have different warranty and pricing. This could be returned if makes sense but $430 the price was right!

Since the receiver is 7.2 or can do zone 2 or Atmos now I think i want Atmos. the additional plane of sound seems appealing, or is it a gimmick? If it is worth the price, I can easily fish 2 more wires in ceiling.

Attached are some photos, we have no furniture yet but were thinking one big sectional. Layout such that people Standing around island can see over the top of those sitting on the furniture.

In-walls are preferred, but I’ve read that floor speakers are much better value sound/price wise and do considering this option. Also read that book shelves can be even better value with a decent sub. Bookshelves are out unless they are mounted to the wall, i am confident they would be knocked over by the kids. If i did towers in front they will have to be tethered to the wall, if possible (Just dont trust it). Our kids are not rowdy but again they are still very young.

I have listened to Paradigm, GoldenEar, B&W, Klipsch, KEF. I do not pretend to be an audiophile but can appreciate great sounding systems. We have Paradigm satellites upstairs mainly fo ascetics and they sound fine but i want to do better in the basement. I think this will be mostly TV/movie watching but also maybe 30% music. All of these brands sounded great. There is a good set of Klipsch for sale used by me RP-280F x 2, RP-450c and RP-250s x 4 priced for $1400. I would still need a SUB and Atmos. I would likely sella pair of the 250s. The towers are my hangup and that I read monoples are better for surrounds in a 5.1.2. Out of all these, while quiet KEF sounded really nice, also really liked Paradigm. If I consider bookshelves, are there some nice mounts once can buy to get up on the walls And provide tilting to point at the sweet spot and keep them out of kiddos reach?

Enough rambling? Ive had one recommendation for HSU 5.1 but I can not hear these first so am not sure what to do there.

And most important....budget!!!

Cant believe i left that out. I am hoping to stay under $2000 for all speakers but if there was crazy value for $2500 or even $2800 I might stretch. Looking to find the place where the best value lies. I’m open to used, I’m open to refurbs, I’m open to new. Just want to do what makes sense and be happy with it all.

Lastly if that receiver is okay, or get something else and either way if a separate AMP is necessary, this would eat into my budget.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Welcome to ASR.

Looks like that will be a great setup once everything is installed. A few things to contemplate ...
  1. Room EQ will be important. What kind of system does the Yamaha have? I personally have a Denon AVR (with Audyssey) which seems OK. I bring it up just because you may be able to score a similar 7.2 AVR for the same price with a better room EQ system, which could have a significant effect on sound quality when you're done.
  2. I personally don't think Atmos is a gimmick. That said I do recommend in-ceiling for Atmos. I have Atmos add-on height speakers myself -- the ones that reflect off the ceiling -- and .... meh? OK but not amazing. I think in-ceiling will be much better.
  3. I'd also consider thinking about a 2nd subwoofer as part of your budget. Obviously a topic of some debate so may not be absolutely needed in your situation, but 2 subs can help resolve some issues.
Tons of measurements on ASR for speakers / subs, so you can start there using price as a primary filter. You can find reviews of speaker here.

OP
P

Packerbacker

Welcome to ASR.

Looks like that will be a great setup once everything is installed. A few things to contemplate ...
  1. Room EQ will be important. What kind of system does the Yamaha have? I personally have a Denon AVR (with Audyssey) which seems OK. I bring it up just because you may be able to score a similar 7.2 AVR for the same price with a better room EQ system, which could have a significant effect on sound quality when you're done.
  2. I personally don't think Atmos is a gimmick. That said I do recommend in-ceiling for Atmos. I have Atmos add-on height speakers myself -- the ones that reflect off the ceiling -- and .... meh? OK but not amazing. I think in-ceiling will be much better.
  3. I'd also consider thinking about a 2nd subwoofer as part of your budget. Obviously a topic of some debate so may not be absolutely needed in your situation, but 2 subs can help resolve some issues.
Tons of measurements on ASR for speakers / subs, so you can start there using price as a primary filter. You can find reviews of speaker here.

It is YPAO, comes with a mic.

OP
P

Packerbacker

Is it possible to flip your layout around and face the other wall? That would be best for several reasons.

Anything is possible but the reason we did it this was was because of the room shape and the ability for people to have a view of the TV from anywhere in the room. If flipped to another wall, the viewing angles for those off to the side would make watching a football game for example useless.

So yea I could. Do i want to, not really.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything is possible but the reason we did it this was was because of the room shape and the ability for people to have a view of the TV from anywhere in the room. If flipped to another wall, the viewing angles for those off to the side would make watching a football game for example useless.

So yea I could. Do i want to, not really.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your layout, but if the screen and speakers were on the other end, everyone could easily see it. Think: theater.

OP
P

Packerbacker

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your layout, but if the screen and speakers were on the other end, everyone could easily see it. Think: theater.

The green line is the screen, if that helps? By having the TV on the short wall, the depth of the room provides more viewing distance but better viewing angle. Someday we planned to put a sofa table behind the sectional/couch to provide a second level of seating.

Zedly

Forum Donor
I have the RP-280F and RP-450C, and I like them very much. For me, they hit the sweet spot for price and performance, and I like the forward sound that the Klipsch speakers give, especially for movies. For $1400, that set is an excellent value.

dortreo

Another thing to consider is that you don’t have to buy everything at once. Laying the foundation with pre-wiring is a smart move.

I’ve built up our home theater over time building up from a 5.1 to a 7.2 with Atmos and 3 subs. It’s a monstrosity but a lot of fun to tweak and upgrade. I went B&W for the speakers that matter (Fronts, center, and main surrounds) and Klipsch for the ones that don’t (rear surrounds). However, if I had the chance to do it again, I’d probably go with KEF or Revel. I agree that in-ceiling Atmos has to be better than what I’m running now, Pioneers. By the way, Hsu subs are absolutely phenomenal and a great bang for the buck. I’ve no idea about their regular speaker offerings.

Audyssey, which is part of Denton/Marantz systems, is easy to use and fairly good. Not sure how/what Yamaha’s is like.

Finally, as far as little kids are concerned, you might want to think about investing in an old pair of B&W 801s. These things are bottom heavy and not easily knocked over by any size human being. That being said, my kid used to lose Legos in the port. I think there’s still a piece or two in there.

OP
P

Packerbacker

Another thing to consider is that you don’t have to buy everything at once. Laying the foundation with pre-wiring is a smart move.

I’ve built up our home theater over time building up from a 5.1 to a 7.2 with Atmos and 3 subs. It’s a monstrosity but a lot of fun to tweak and upgrade. I went B&W for the speakers that matter (Fronts, center, and main surrounds) and Klipsch for the ones that don’t (rear surrounds). However, if I had the chance to do it again, I’d probably go with KEF or Revel. I agree that in-ceiling Atmos has to be better than what I’m running now, Pioneers. By the way, Hsu subs are absolutely phenomenal and a great bang for the buck. I’ve no idea about their regular speaker offerings.

Audyssey, which is part of Denton/Marantz systems, is easy to use and fairly good. Not sure how/what Yamaha’s is like.

Finally, as far as little kids are concerned, you might want to think about investing in an old pair of B&W 801s. These things are bottom heavy and not easily knocked over by any size human being. That being said, my kid used to lose Legos in the port. I think there’s still a piece or two in there.

HAHAHAHAHA. Our blocks a larger right now but I am sure the legos are coming!
I think the YPAO is similar to Audyssey but have never used the later so can not be certain.

OP
P

Packerbacker

I have the RP-280F and RP-450C, and I like them very much. For me, they hit the sweet spot for price and performance, and I like the forward sound that the Klipsch speakers give, especially for movies. For $1400, that set is an excellent value.

My main struggle is the bipole surrounds. I have read so much conflicting stuff around monopole vs bipolar for surrounds with Atmos. Everyone has an opinion. That and the 250’s are pretty massive and its only 8’ ceilings so wondering what they will look like, And sounds like.

OP
P

Packerbacker

I should mention that i would prefer something with a very wide dispersion pattern. I do not want one small sweet spot, I would rather give a little accuracy to get the larger, wider listening area for the whole family.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The green line is the screen, if that helps? By having the TV on the short wall, the depth of the room provides more viewing distance but better viewing angle. Someday we planned to put a sofa table behind the sectional/couch to provide a second level of seating.
I see that the green line is the screen. I'm also looking at your actual photos. Couldn't the screen and speakers be on the other wall? The island could be in the current TV area.

OP
P

Packerbacker

I see that the green line is the screen. I'm also looking at your actual photos. Couldn't the screen and speakers be on the other wall? The island could be in the current TV area.

Oh got ya. No, there was plumbing on that wall that is to be hidden by a bank of cabinets. It’s also all wired fo countertops As laid out in the diagram. That ship sailed unfortunately. There was also a window on that wall.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I think the YPAO is similar to Audyssey but have never used the later so can not be certain.

I'd search through ASR (or start a new thread) about YPAO, Audyssey, DIRAC, REW, etc. In the end room EQ can do a lot for SQ, even if you don't end up purchasing the absolute best speakers or invest in room treatments. In other words: you're more likely to end up with good sound with good room EQ + OK speakers, and more likely to end up with poor sound with poor room EQ + great speakers. And I'm not saying YPAO is bad; I don't know, I don't have experience with it. But worthwhile to research the topic now while you still have an opportunity to decide on your AVR.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My two cents:

1) You are going to need two subwoofers in that room to help with the room modes as well as output. I would suggest you start with a Rythmik L12 and add a second later. That will take $600 out of your budget.
2) If it were my money, I would take the $1,000 left after your receiver and subwoofer and apply it to a good pair of stereo speakers. You could then add a center channel and surrounds later. Of the brands you mentioned, Paradigm or Kef would be my first choices. I would also be inclined to look at some internet direct brands. Hsu as mentioned is a good choice. If you really want everything now, I would take a good look at the RSL CGC 5.1 system with two subs. It is $1,500 and if you bundle it with a receiver you get an additional discount. https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-5-1-home-theater-system/

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
YPAO is very limited compared to Audyssey and Dirac.

That is my impression as well. That said, it's important to note that Audyssey has 3 versions and which one you get depends on what receiver you buy. For Denon this means:
  • Entry level: Audyssey MultiEQ
  • Mid-level: Audyssey MultiEQ XT
  • High-end: Audyssey MultiEQ XT32
I imagine that Audyssey MultiEQ may not be a big step up from YPAO although I could be wrong. And Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 is the only version that would really compete with Dirac.

Amir did a review of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 and recommended it.
Conclusions
I came into this review expecting Audyssey to not perform. That was my experience and that of formal blind testing of it years back. The out of box results of this "XT32" version was better than I remembered. Still, using the App is mandatory to properly incorporate a target curve with more bass and removal of "BBC dip." Once there, I had no issues with its performance and I think it comes very close to advanced solutions like Dirac and Anthem ARC.

I am happy to recommend Audyssey XT32 with use of Denon/Marantz app to customize it.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I’ve built up our home theater over time building up from a 5.1 to a 7.2 with Atmos and 3 subs. It’s a monstrosity but a lot of fun to tweak and upgrade.

Glad I read through the posts a little because I opened the thread to say exactly the same thing: think of this as just the start of journey. In my first HT incarnation I blew my entire speaker budget on one subwoofer and cobbled together what I could for the rest. I then methodically upgraded. 15 years later, I still have that subwoofer.

Gives me a great idea for a new tweak to market: advanced polyethylene blocks with computer modeled acoustic bumps. Just drop them in your bass port to instantly remove veils and improve pace, rhythm and timing.

Top Bottom