• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here, looking for input for upgrading my current 2-channel system

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Analysis, Synthesis, then Evaluation. One step at a time is the way to go. Don't even consider what to buy until the problem(s) or lack of problem(s) is/are known and defined. Use REW and the UMIK-1 first. Go from there. Incidently, I need to take my own advice here. It just occurred to me that I own one one those mics and a computer. Hmmmm.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Analysis, Synthesis, then Evaluation. One step at a time is the way to go. Don't even consider what to buy until the problem(s) or lack of problem(s) is/are known and defined. Use REW and the UMIK-1 first. Go from there. Incidently, I need to take my own advice here. It just occurred to me that I own one one those mics and a computer. Hmmmm.
Come on now. What kind of person takes their own advice?

Just kidding. REW has gotten so capable, and those mikes are good enough while being so simple to use, a person can spend quite a bit of time exploring how to make good use of what they have.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amps, amp design, they all sound different.

Your subjective, personal opinion is noted, but as this is Audio Science Review, subjective, personal opinions don't count for much. Do you have any objective evidence to support your claim?

maty

Major Contributor
With those speakers it is assumed that you have the room with a certain acoustic treatment and that you listen to high quality recordings and dynamic range. And you are also supposed to have a clean power. And that the speakers, so expensive, have a relatively flat frequency response.

My advice, stay as you are and try to tweak the sound from a good DSP and PEQ 64-bit software without doing it very aggressively.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...inimum-phase-vs-linear-phase.8762/post-225351

To spend (a lot of) money you will always be on time.

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/legacy-audio-focus-2020-loudspeaker-measurements

LEG20FIG1.jpg

Leg20fig8.jpg

If they are yours, they need some tweaking. It is best to do it with a minimum phase PEQ 64-bit and not exceed +/-3 dB in the few adjustments you make. JRiver MC 64-bit is the soft player you need.

You SHOULD watching the Danny Richie's chapter about measurements.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eo-speaker-measurements-by-danny-richie.8840/

New speaker design by Danny Richie:

New Line Force model up and playing with pics

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165469.0

Cleared to see the details

New-Line-Force-by Danny-Richie.jpg

Other option, if you like the sound after the soft tweaking, is a new crossover. Made by you or... Danny Richie. You can save money again!

I bet I can make your speakers sound better

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137288.0

Last edited:

Hipper

The number one improvement would be to your room

Firstly I whole heartedly agree with this.

1. Move speakers and chair for best sound.
2. Add room treatment - bass traps etc..
3. DSP/EQ to complete the job.

If for practical reasons you can't do 1 and 2, use DSP/EQ for everything.

Concentrate on getting the bass right.

Another way of getting bass right is using four small subs carefully placed and adjusted.

If you've never done anything to get the bass right in your room you are missing out.

Could you tell us more about your 'PC'. Is this any old PC or one specially designed for playing music?

BillG

Major Contributor
Current setup
PC
Emotiva UMC-200 preamp/processor
Emotiva RPA-2 amp
Legacy Audio Focus speakers
PS Audio Power Plant Premier Power Regenerator
TV

Your current system is just fine. I'd look at grabbing a DAC maybe, and it need not be as expensive as that Matrix Audio one in order to be transparent.

As others have suggested, if you're not happy with the current sound, some Room EQ/Correction at the very least is what I'd look at first. And, if you want to go as far as acoustically treating the room, that need not be expensive: some inexpensive rugs on the floors and walls (I'm serious) can work wonders... :cool:

OP
K

ktm125

WOW! thanks so much for all the responses!

My decisions so far....

keep Focus speakers
use PC for music streaming via Tidal or Qobuz
buy Martix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA
buy Benchmark AHB2 amp
connect TV to DAC
use TV as video input selector
plug everything into the PS Audio Power Plant Premier Power Regenerator
Look into room improvements AFTER (ha) new setup.

Everyone's responses are much appreciated!

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
use PC for music streaming via Tidal or Qobuz
Might want to check out the news today that Amazon HD music is rolling out at $12.99 for Prime customers and $14.99 for the rest.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been reading the threads here for suggestions in improving my 2 channel system.
My only music source is streaming and using a PS4 to access YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
I have a TV connected to the system.

Current setup
PC
Emotiva UMC-200 preamp/processor
Emotiva RPA-2 amp
Legacy Audio Focus speakers
PS Audio Power Plant Premier Power Regenerator
TV
What's the problem with your current setup? Are you sure you need a power regenerator?
New DAC
Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro seems the best but maybe the Topping or Sabaj would be good enough.
Since I’m only streaming music would it be best to get a DAC that connects to the internet, or run USB from PC to DAC?
USB from PC to DAC should be fine. See below (Classè).
Need to output TV audio to DAC.

New PC or upgrades
If PC is required, then what upgrades or new PC is recommended?
As long as the PC is able to deliver audio/video without stutter there's no need to replace it.
New Preamp
Do I need one?
And if so, which one?
Don't know, try a Classè Sigma SSP MK2. Works also as a USB soundcard (DAC).
New Amp
Benchmark AHB2

Speakers
Budget for new speakers is 10K, but prefer to keep current speakers if they won’t be the weak link.
Don't know, try Neumann KH420.
TV
All the video sources connect to the UMC-200 via HDMI, but since the DACs have no HDMI, I can use the TV as a video input selector.
A beamer with a big screen is a nice thing.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm late to this party, but a few thoughts...

First, "ktm125," huh? Wear earplugs!

All the comments about taking measurements & addressing acoustic issues are good advice.

If your Focus SE speakers have an impedance curve similar to Stereophile's 20/20 measurement above, the impedance below 100Hz is a concern. At 30Hz, they have 2 ohms at -45*, which is a serious current hog! I'm not convinced streaming-only demands the very highest-fi amps, but you definitely want an arc welder for that. Perhaps check with @John_Siau before ordering the AHB.

If he tells you to look elsewhere, I'm not even sure what to suggest. An old Krell? Pro amps rated for 2-ohm speakers? Maybe biamping, just to isolate the bass load... Whatever amp(s) you buy, do NOT bridge them.

(Honestly, after seeing those measurements, I'd at least audition a few speakers before spending $5k on electronics, but that's 100% IMO. I fully understand hanging on to old stuff you love.)

As noted above, you can get smoother bass over a wider listening area with multiple subs and EQ. This would also allow you to highpass your mains, skirting the impedance issue. Seems a shame not to get full bass from those big speakers, but it's definitely worth experimenting with. Before buying subs, you could try a filter in, say, EQ APO to see if midrange clarity improves, dynamics seem tighter, etc. It's hard to judge when you lose 1-2 octaves of bass, but testing it is free.

If you want to experiment with subs, Dayton's $150 12" is the budget choice. Hsu, Rythmik & SVS all have solid models for about 3x the money or more. I'd lean to Rythmik L12s, if I were feeling spendy, but I'd try three Daytons first.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your Focus SE speakers have an impedance curve similar to Stereophile's 20/20 measurement above, the impedance below 100Hz is a concern. At 30Hz, they have 2 ohms at -45*, which is a serious current hog! I'm not convinced streaming-only demands the very highest-fi amps, but you definitely want an arc welder for that. Perhaps check with @John_Siau before ordering the AHB.

If he tells you to look elsewhere, I'm not even sure what to suggest. An old Krell? Pro amps rated for 2-ohm speakers? Maybe biamping, just to isolate the bass load... Whatever amp(s) you buy, do NOT bridge them.

The Hypex nC400-based amps are specifed down to 1 Ω loads.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hypex nC400-based amps are specifed down to 1 Ω loads.
Yes, thank you for the reminder!

@ktm125, quad NC400 monoblocks look like a good choice for about the same price as an AHB. But note the Heat Dissipation section of the datasheet, because low impedances increase waste heat quite a bit. At 150W into 4 ohms, the amp dissipates about 15W. But the same voltage out into 2 ohms equals 300W to the speaker & 45W in the amp.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
K

ktm125

My typo, sorry, 360.

Any sort of regenerator will actually limit peak current to your amp.

My PS Audio is rated at 500 Watts continuous average and 1200 watts peak...so should be good for the amp with is 190 w/channel

OP
K

ktm125

I'm late to this party, but a few thoughts...

First, "ktm125," huh? Wear earplugs!

All the comments about taking measurements & addressing acoustic issues are good advice.

(Honestly, after seeing those measurements, I'd at least audition a few speakers before spending $5k on electronics, but that's 100% IMO. I fully understand hanging on to old stuff you love.)

As noted above, you can get smoother bass over a wider listening area with multiple subs and EQ. This would also allow you to highpass your mains, skirting the impedance issue. Seems a shame not to get full bass from those big speakers, but it's definitely worth experimenting with. Before buying subs, you could try a filter in, say, EQ APO to see if midrange clarity improves, dynamics seem tighter, etc. It's hard to judge when you lose 1-2 octaves of bass, but testing it is free.

If you want to experiment with subs, Dayton's $150 12" is the budget choice. Hsu, Rythmik & SVS all have solid models for about 3x the money or more. I'd lean to Rythmik L12s, if I were feeling spendy, but I'd try three Daytons first.

thanks...I spoke with John and he gave me a bunch of technical data that shows the amp will be great with my speakers

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My PS Audio is rated at 500 Watts continuous average and 1200 watts peak...so should be good for the amp with is 190 w/channel

Power is one thing, current another.

Top Bottom