• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here, looking for input for upgrading my current 2-channel system

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Power is one thing, current another.

True.

11Kv transformer can be completely safe if there is no current flowing.
It's the Amps that kill you not the Watts.

Twitch54

Yes really. In my 45 years experience. People have a tendency to spend the most money on their speakers. But you can’t expect them to perform their best with just any old amp.

What weaknesses do I think his current pre amp and amp have? Well I’m not here to put down anyone’s equipment, as I think that would be rude.

But what I will say is that it begins with the quality of the recording. Bad recordings on great speakers can be very disheartening.
Then you have the input device, and then pre amp and amp.

Amps, amp design, they all sound different. So yes, changing your amp can greatly change your sound. Especially going from an AVR to a dedicated Stereo amp.

Right now I have five different stereo amps, with the same set of speakers they all sound different. One sounds bright, ones warm, one has lacking soundstage.....

On the other hand, I have brought home a new set of JBL’s speakers only to realize, it sounds pretty much the same as what It was supposed to replace because the amp is the same. It’s not like I had bad speakers to begin with.... However, introducing a room correction system, possibly an equalizer, having a more powerful amp, a preamp with a really nice dac in it...... That will really change the sound!

Amps and DACs have changed since his 2013 model AVR, he might want to take advantage of that.

The speakers he has now are one of the most highly reviewed and awarded speakers at the 10K price point. I’m not just saying that because I own them. I’m say that because many famous and talent recording engineers use them in mastering/remastering many artists. Even if he spent another 10k on speakers, he wouldn’t get a noticeable difference in sound quality. These speakers handle 750 watts per channel, and driving them with power it really opens them up.

Jim, while what you say has merit I don't see once where you mentioned the 'room'. So with all do respect if you don't acknowledge the environment in to which one listens then you are missing the point !!

600lbs of Sin

All good advice so from the forum, as I would expect. However, the UMC 200? I had/have one of these units and I would argue that the op can improvements by shelving it and getting something else. I recently took it out of the closet for multi channel duties in conjunction with my current set up. As soon as the lights came on, noise trap. Not to mention, it was unlistenable. As mentioned before, first duties are speaker placement, REW measurements, and work on the room.

I still have the UMC 200, because I would feel guilty selling it and giving it away would obligate me in helping someone set it up. No thanks

William2554

First, you need to decide if you want a 2-channel or a 5-channel system. Most 2-channel systems are just for listening to music. 5-channel systems are for home theater, which lets you watch movies with surround sound. 2-channel systems are better for music because they offer a purer audio experience. They're designed to focus on music. If you're listening to music, then you want a 2-channel system. Check to upgrade the channel system for exploring.

Top Bottom