• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here: looking for inexpensive DAP

OP
A

artshotwell

The $110 Qudelix 5k works perfectly with LG Rebel via 3-wire OTG cable and USB. I have this combo by my bedside now - driving HE400i (balanced needed). Qudelix has a really great 10-band PEQ. You might consider it as a next step..

Not only can you tailor the headphone response, you might try adding a bit of boost in the 'dialog' range (500Hz-3kHz? Others with more experience advise?) and/or notch out any particular range that triggers tinnitus..

Now, whether to get new headphones or a Qudelix as the next step - I can't say. (Others advise?) - as I know nothing about the HD450bt. ( @solderdude?)

I'm partial to low distortion planar open back - hence my HE400i ($180). But I also use - a lot - a $79 Phillips dynamic open back - the SHP9500 (for tv, as it's extremely comfortable hours on end).

However, since you are ultimately thinking of HP replacement, and IMO need PEQ in any event, I personally would get the Qudelix first - and try it with the HD450bt you have. Then, if I were unhappy even after doing my best with PEQ, I'd then be considering HP replacement..

Note: this is the OTG cable you need to connect the Qudelix (also using one of its supplied cables) to the LG Rebel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6CRW6D/

When you power the cable thru the female microUSB connector using the LG supplied usb power brick, both devices will be powered from it.
I notice the battery level drops fairly fast... It went from 100 to 83% overnight and I wasn't using it. I'm still working on turning off services that I don't need, so I may be able to improve that.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I notice the battery level drops fairly fast...
The charger that came with my Rebel I believe is 1.2A. The charger I am using with the OTG cable is an Amazon one I happened to have - 9w or 1.8A. I keep it connected full time and both devices stay fully charged.

It's possible the LG one is insufficient to charge both the Rebel and the Qudelix simultaneously. If you have a higher current charger, you might try it and see if you still get discharging.

thunderchicken

I just use my phone and port it to an Earstudio ES100. Waiting on someone to test Fiio's BTR5. I used to use a Fiio X5, but my latest phone has just as much storage space and doesn't have the wonky click wheel.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Quad DAC ES9218P in the V10/20/G7 was 110db, a nice improvement.
"Quad" DAC in LG phones explained by charleski:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...p-to-replace-lg-v20-es9218p.13645/post-534555

The ES9038Pro on the other hand has eight channels, I believe, and so would presumably be described by LG marketing as an Octa-DAC at the very least.

Edit: But you probably already saw that post of charleski too, since you posted in that thread earlier the same day.

Last edited:
OP
A

artshotwell

I have been using the LG Rebel 4 with my HP and streaming music services ( during trials). But, the better drain when not using it seems severe. I’m wondering if anyone has tried turning off services. And if so, which ones?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Perhaps it's inconvenient for you if you are moving around, but I use my LG Rebel with a 3-wire 'charging' OTG cable, connected to a Qudelix 5k, and a 1.8a 9w charger. Rebel stays at 100%, as does Qudelix.

OP
A

artshotwell

Perhaps it's inconvenient for you if you are moving around, but I use my LG Rebel with a 3-wire 'charging' OTG cable, connected to a Qudelix 5k, and a 1.8a 9w charger. Rebel stays at 100%, as does Qudelix.
Most of my listening is in the living room and your flow would not work well there.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Most of my listening is in the living room and your flow would not work well there

Ok. Just thinking: The sim card should not be installed.. You might check display settings: minimal brightness you need, let it go off after a short time..

OP
A

artshotwell

Ok. Just thinking: The sim card should not be installed.. You might check display settings: minimal brightness you need, let it go off after a short time..
Yes, I removed the SIM card first thing. It seems to lose more juice when it’s not streaming. Like over night.

Brianc

Thanks in part to all the great info provided here by Cahudson42 and others, I finally ordered a Rebel 4 to use strictly as a DAP. I plan on getting a Qudelix 5k as well, but initially I will be pairing via BT to a Topping DX3 Pro. I plan to use the Rebel 4 on transit and planes instead of my regular phone. I'm ordering the 3 wire USB cable recommended by Cahudson42 and will use with a mobile charger. On transit I typically use either a cheap pair of on ears or clip ons (JVC Flats and Koss, respectively) and I assume the Rebel will power these fine on its own. I will use the Qudelix with AQ Nightowls and Senn 6xx on longer plane rides and in home office. Looking forward to trying out!

Top Bottom