• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here: looking for inexpensive DAP

artshotwell

HI, as my subject line indicated, I'm a newbie here. Just found this website. I'm looking for a decent streaming music player with HiRes capability. This despite knowing I think I have some higher frequency hearing loss. I started off using my iPhoneXr streaming several streaming music accounts: Qobuz, Deezer, Tidal, AmazonMusicHD and Apple Music. It seems to me that, even with hearing loss and Tinnitus, the best sounding music reaching my ears, will still sound best. I have been able to hear some differences between the five services I've tried, but don't know exactly that the differences are. I have stopped Tidal, Deezer and Qobuz and have been comparing Amazon and Apple since both trials are 90 days. I have a relative low-end Sennheiser over-the-hear headphones. But starting there.

So, I'm wondering how an iPod would compare with anything else out there. And, what else is out there in the $300 or below range... Adding: I really want something separate from my phone.

Any suggestions??? Thanks

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
May I suggest a $29 learning experience?
LG Rebel tracFone:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHQ79XH/

You throw away all the tracFone stuff including sim card. It runs perfectly fine on 2.4g wifi without it.

Android 8. Add your music apps. I'm using Amazon music right now. Has Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset. Most likely (not sure) w/WDC9xx audio. (Runs my SHP9500 fine).

Also supports USB OTG. You can add a $109 Qudelix 5k via USB if the 3.5mm is unsatisfactory. Pick up a PEQ and optional balanced out. (I just did so.)

You could also use via USB a desktop DAC like the D10S/E30, or drive a HP amp like the L30 via the 3.5mm. (I drive a Liquid Spark from the 3.5mm).

LG Rebel also has remove able battery and microSD for a small 32gb card. And of course bluetooth...(which I don't use, but you might to stereo receiver or AVR)

IMO, unbelievable for $29..

Last edited:
OP
A

artshotwell

Hey, that looks interesting. Though I'm lost on much of what you suggest beyond the phone. I thought TracFones were clamshell. I do plan to send the audio to a Yamaha receiver now and then. PEQ is an equalizer, right? I can add equalizers on phones? That TracFone is apparently carrier-locked. Is it useable otherwise without unlocking? As I say, I'm new to much of this.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Yes. Useable w/o 'unlocking'. You don't use it as a phone at all. Don't need to, or bother, installing the sim card. Thus 'carrier locked" is irrelevant. You use it on wifi 2.4g, not cell cdma.

Not a clamshell. Nice but compact screen See Amazon photos on link.

PEQ stands for Parametric Equalizer. It is very flexible, but has a little learning curve - you can read up. First, you can try 'slide bar' type Equalizer - there are numerous apps (but many are not 'global ' - that is applying to any/every app. Amazon Music has its own built-in primative EQ which you can learn on.

That's why I said 'learning experience'. And nothing like 'hands on' for learning.. And for $29, I think you will 'learn' your money's worth.

Perhaps even find that the LG Rebel is a good starter DAP. Always can add a Qudelix , D10s, or headphone amp later, after you gain experience.

Last edited:

DuxServit

Forum Donor
iPods and iPads are too expensive as DAPs and their storage too difficult to be expanded. Same with the Sony Walkman series.

I suggest getting a sub $100 Android device (Samsung, Lenovo, etc) with an SD-card slot that can support large sized SD-cards (e.g. 400G to 2TB).

OP
A

artshotwell

For both of you... thanks... I do want to stream Amazon Music or Apple Music. I do have a collection of CDs and some HR DVD Audio DSD Super Audio. I find in my old age that my music tastes have changed to muc is I don’t already own. So, I mostly stream. But, at 76 I still should be able to learn some thing new.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
HI, as my subject line indicated, I'm a newbie here. Just found this website. I'm looking for a decent streaming music player with HiRes capability. This despite knowing I think I have some higher frequency hearing loss. I started off using my iPhoneXr streaming several streaming music accounts: Qobuz, Deezer, Tidal, AmazonMusicHD and Apple Music. It seems to me that, even with hearing loss and Tinnitus, the best sounding music reaching my ears, will still sound best. I have been able to hear some differences between the five services I've tried, but don't know exactly that the differences are. I have stopped Tidal, Deezer and Qobuz and have been comparing Amazon and Apple since both trials are 90 days. I have a relative low-end Sennheiser over-the-hear headphones. But starting there.

So, I'm wondering how an iPod would compare with anything else out there. And, what else is out there in the $300 or below range... Adding: I really want something separate from my phone.

What sennheiser headphones? The output on your iPhone is probably as good or better than most DAPs, ipods etc. You would likely need to look at desktop devices to get better.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 to the above on using an Android phone as a Digital Audio Player. When I went down this same path I chose the LG V10. It was <$100 used and unlocked on Amazon.com. Here is the exact model: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MR6Q9KY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PW6BFbHD9FKWT

1) had a very nice onboard DAC and headphone AMP. It also has a headphone jack so your regular headphones work and sound great!
2)Additionally it has expandable storage meaning you can insert a microSD card up to 256GB to store your music files if you choose.
3) AND you can replace the battery yourself. So if/when the battery dies you can just get a new one and put it in and breath new life into the phone.
4) The screen is large and bright so you can bump up the font sizes and still read the apps on the screen if your eyesight is not as good as it used to be.

OP
A

artshotwell

+1 to the above on using an Android phone as a Digital Audio Player. When I went down this same path I chose the LG V10. It was <$100 used and unlocked on Amazon.com. Here is the exact model: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MR6Q9KY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PW6BFbHD9FKWT

1) had a very nice onboard DAC and headphone AMP. It also has a headphone jack so your regular headphones work and sound great!
2)Additionally it has expandable storage meaning you can insert a microSD card up to 256GB to store your music files if you choose.
3) AND you can replace the battery yourself. So if/when the battery dies you can just get a new one and put it in and breath new life into the phone.
4) The screen is large and bright so you can bump up the font sizes and still read the apps on the screen if your eyesight is not as good as it used to be.
And I guess can install Amazon Music HD app. I have no experience with Android. But sounds good. Thanks.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I guess can install Amazon Music HD app. I have no experience with Android. But sounds good. Thanks.
Correct. Since it's an Android phone you can access the google play app store and download any app you want for all your streaming services just like your iphone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They’re HD 450BT https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-450-bt. They work great with my phone. I think they’re not really high resolution. Got them on good sale.

Ah right, well quality of phone/ dap etc is pretty much irrelevant for BT headphones but I assume you are looking to go wired. There are plenty of good headphones that the iphone will power and sound great- look for ones with lower impedance (so not 250 ohm plus)- more in the sub 100 ohm territory. You will likely not get better performance from a DAP- at all.

EDIT- Im an idiot- the Iphone XR doesnt have a headphone jack- does it? Has a dongle for 3.5mm? Still, probably better than most DAPs

OP
A

artshotwell

Ah right, well quality of phone/ dap etc is pretty much irrelevant for BT headphones but I assume you are looking to go wired. There are plenty of good headphones that the iphone will power and sound great- look for ones with lower impedance (so not 250 ohm plus)- more in the sub 100 ohm territory. You will likely not get better performance from a DAP- at all.

EDIT- Im an idiot- the Iphone XR doesnt have a headphone jack- does it? Has a dongle for 3.5mm? Still, probably better than most DAPs
Right you are. No headphone jack. Using a dongle with a 3.5mm jack.
edit... the headphone cable has 3.5mm plug with 3 connections on one end and 2.5mm plug with 4 connections for the headphones. What’s the diff?

Last edited:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cowon Plenue D or D2. Small, portable and the sound is same as gòod as everything else. The unique feature is +40 hours of battery life

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see lots of Chinese DAPs & DACs at high prices. how does a $30 LG Android phone line up with players like the Cowon I just looked at. I also found a $200 hiby r3 https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3.

There are reviews of a few DAPs on here. Honestly, its a crap shoot. There are multi thousand pound DAPs that are TERRIBLE performance, and cheaper ones that are good. Personally, phone and a good dongle, end of. Or go desktop.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see lots of Chinese DAPs & DACs at high prices. how does a $30 LG Android phone line up with players like the Cowon I just looked at. I also found a $200 hiby r3 https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3.

Hiby DAPs are poorly performing DAPs. Their former flagship DAP R6 Pro performs terrible and is nowhere near the accuracy of the Apple Dongle: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iby-r6-pro-portable-music-player-review.9931/

The R3 gets about 0.003% SINAD which is worse than the Apple Dongle with just barely 2x the Apple Dongle power per their website.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
How does a $30 LG Android phone line up with players

While it's impossible to generalize, for phones or tablets, if they are based on a Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset, you have a decent chance Audio performance via the 3.5mm will be useable.

Even some Amazon devices, which are based on cheaper MediaTek chips, seem to have reasonable DAC/3.5mm performance, at least capable of driving a follow on HP amp, or stereo/AVR receiver - if not inefficient HP..

In either case, as long as the device supports USB OTG (On The Go), you can add on a follow on DAC (dongle or desktop) and/or Amp, to meet your desired performance.

OP
A

artshotwell

Hmmm new terms to me. New things to look for in a player. streaming AmazonMusicHD I see, for some of their UltraHD designated songs I get 24-bit/44.1kHz as original, device capability, and currently playing at. Some higher rates either default to this or to 16-bit/44.1. On my iPhoneXR.

How can I tell if my iPhone has USB OTG or a Qualcomm Snapdragon chip? Or the same info about an LG Rebel4 phone mentioned earlier In this conversation?

Last edited:
Top Bottom